Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    I am headed for Alaska around July 6, 08 from the SF bay area. The route is being planned but I intend on riding up through Banff and Jasper Alberta, to Prudhoe Bay, Valdez, and taking the ferry back from Haines to Bellingham Washington. Around 4 weeks total.

As of now I am going solo, riding a GSA, no camping. It would be great to meet up with someone interested in joining or connecting along the way.
  2. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are also heading to AK.. But a month earlyer ..
    Shooting for June... If we can get the farm set....
    You have a great trip.... LOl.. Maybe we will pass each other in and out...:lol3
  3. Gene McCall

Gene McCall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you pass an ST1100 with a sidecar, pulling a trailer thats us! I think we will be hard to miss and chances are we won't be traveling too fast! Hope our paths cross.:freaky
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    If you guys don't mind, this has been hanging over in the root of Regionals for a long time. I'm going to put it here so that more people can see it. OK?
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Cool. Good idea.

And I thought I'd recommend a good read for those who may be going in or out of Prince Rupert BC area. It's a historical novel about one of the first white families into the area. I really liked reading it. It's called 'Challenge the Wilderness' by George Tomlinson: http://northwestwildernessbooks.com/default.aspx

Look forward to seeing as many of you up here as possible. :thumb Mark H.
  6. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    Thanks Phil,

Still looking for company, or not, no matter to me.

I'll have to check out that book, Akduc.
  7. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Another ditto on rear brake pads. The attached picture shows where my rear caliper spent half of my trip back from Anchorage. I removed it in Prince George when I finally found what might have been the only new rear tire for a stinkin BMW anywhere in BC, and then I noticed that my rear pads were paper thin. No compatible pads at the shop of course, so I shoved a pair of pliers between the pads to protect the slave cylinder and bungied the thing to my rear sub-frame. I just stayed on pavement for the last 2000 miles to San Francisco so I wouldn't need rear brakes.

In addition, have a rear tire delivered to Fairbanks or someplace and carry it around after that until you need it. Every wide spot in the road has a sign painted on a barn advertising tire repair/replacement. Any tire shop can change your tire for you in ten minutes, and balancing is of debateable value.
  8. RamblinMan

RamblinMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im leaving June 30th from OKC with a short layover in SLC for a day. Not on any schedule :D I'll be camping 90%, riding solo on a 1200GS, NOT touching interstate in the US, and taking lots of pics along the way!
  9. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    route has changed.

[​IMG]

Planing on going up the alcan and on the way down after Inuvik down the Campbell hwy to the Cassair hwy w/side trip to Glenora on Telegraph Creek Rd. When I'm in Homer I will take a day trip to Hatcher Pass, and I will try to make it to Inuvik a couple of days later for the art festival and 50th aniversary, good thing I will still be a couple of days ahead of the Aerostitch tour going up the Dempster.

All these changes thanks to my wife getting me the new Milepost, and seeing all the side trips I can take.
  10. ErikBrazil

ErikBrazil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, i will go to Alaska next july, from Sào paulo Brazil, with my lovely kate (KTM 990) i hope to enjoy the 40.000km all the way north and the way down to miami, were o should fly back with kate, i planning camping 90% of the time and maybe cross all the trans amazonian dirt road (550 miles and no gas station ) if the colombian tension take part at the time. Wish see some of you on the road ..
    Hugs
    Erik
  11. pinner

pinner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found the thread! 2 more firefighters from Colorado heading up mid June -mid July. 1 Steamer, 1 08 KLR. Our plan to date: go north until we can't, turn around, go south until we hit central Colo. Looks as though there will be pleanty of company.
  12. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    I expect to see many of you along the way. I'll be leaving Colorado the last week of May (diverting through Moab, Utah). I'll be at the D2D on June 19-20, then up to Prudoe Bay around the 4th of July, and back to Colorado by mid July. 6 weeks total. Starting to get pumped!
  13. snub13

snub13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will love Alaska!

+1 on McCarthy, Very cool town.

[​IMG]

The bridge in to / out of town

[​IMG]

Wish I was going with you.

We will be back!
  14. brasters

brasters Just Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving Mid May, want to beat some of the RV's and make the King Crab Festival in Kodiak. Then on to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay, then make D2d of course, route not set yet. Looking for ride partner, my wife prefers I don't ride Solo on this trip. :freaky

Any suggestions from locals would be appreciated, have been perusing the threads and suggestions so far, choices, choices...:evil

Just Bob.
  15. nwrider50

nwrider50 multi-purpose rider

Oddometer:
    from july 5 to july 20 plus or minus a few days, my plan is to ride the Vstrom to all of the golf courses in canada above the 60th parallel, which is the Yukon and Northwest territories. I also plan to play each of the courses.

I have already made a couple of trips up and back on the Cassier and Alcan and played one of the courses in Whitehorse and the one in Dawson, but that is it. I was in the area for other reasons.

I will be leaving from the Tacoma, WA area if anyone would like to join me.

For more info check out my website zrtours.com

I have a rough schedule sorted out and will post later.
  16. gutsplitter

gutsplitter gutsplitter

Oddometer:
    Leaving north-central WA (Omak) around June 9th up to Yukon - but then will turn back east and come home through the CA rockies. Probably about 3 weeks - but will change plans at a moments notice if something beckons. First long trip with my 18 yo son.:clap
  17. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving El Dorado Hills on or about May 22 with wife on back and another ADV rider from San Diego for Inuvik, Pruhdoe Bay and all points in between.
    1200 GSA and 1200 GSA "Lite".
    9 K miles, until about July 5th.

Got ya covered in a jamb.
    916 812-3392 cell
    Mark
  18. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Quad cities on July 16th, 3 weeks.

Plan going up to Fairbanks via Minot, Edmonton, etc....

Not sure if I am going to do the Dempster or the Dalton... one or the other, crossing over the arctic circle. Wish I could put the front tire in the Arctic Ocean but oh well... thanks 9/11.

Taking tent and bag and prob going to do 50/50 camp and hotel.

Footprint
  19. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    We are leaving Edmonton for Alaska via the Cassiar hwy in BC sometime between July 18 - 20. If you need a place to pitch the tent while in Edmonton let me know. Who knows, if the timing is right we may be able to ride a chunk of the way with you too.
  20. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    i rode from Haines (ferry) to Inuvik last aug-sep on much the same route. Dempster was breathtaking. yeah, i said it, breathtaking... also road to mccarthy, denali hwy, top of the world, cant be missed. the youth hostel campground across the river from dawson city is excellent .. heres a pic from dempster[​IMG]