Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    couple more Dempster in early sep '07[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. pinner

pinner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My partner and I have been dicussing the firearms issue. We intend to bring them along for potential large carnivor encounters. We have reviewed some of RCMP paperwork and proceedures. Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Kevin
  3. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of threads on this topic so suggest a search to cover the ground that has been covered already. I can say that after about 6 months of researching this, my conclusion is that carrying a firearm in Canada is not worth the hassle, assuming that you are able to jump through all the hoops.
  4. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I have a thought. Leave your firearm and firearm paranoia at home.

I doubt you'll have a death producing carnivore encounter.
  5. pinner

Oddometer:
    Wow, you really are a legend in your own miid. I'm not paranoid of my weapons, but thanks for your input.:rofl
  6. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand you concern about bears. The odds of a problem are like getting struck by lighting or nailed by a shark. Good odds it won't happen to say the least . Most of us have not had a major life treating vehicle accident but feel naked if our seat belt is not fastened ( at least I do ). A fire arm is a problem transiting Canada. I personally would purchase a can of Bear spay when I reached Alaska . Your odds of needing it are close to zero but it IS effective and will give you some peace of mind . AK BIke
  7. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Most bear pepper spray repellents are legal in Canada.
  8. pinner

Oddometer:
    Gents, Thank you very much for your thoughts. Sounds as though pepper spray may be the ticket. Hope to see you out there sometime.
    Cheers, Kevin
  9. KMS6

KMS6 Mountains and Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has been suggested to me that the portable air horns for marine use or sporting events are also effective at deterring a bear. Anyone else heard of this?
  10. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Bear spray is legal to bring in to Canaga as long as its in one of those larger (hard to conceal) cannisters. I crossed between Canada and the US, while in Alaska maybe 5 times. I always told the boarder agent I had bear spray and only once did they want to confirm it was the large cannister. Here is what I carried. Its 290 g (about 10 oz) size from REI.

[​IMG]
  11. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    H- jay Thanks for the info on pepper spray comming thru canada . I have been ask about it by customs so supposed it was a problem. I'll throw a can in for the trip north.
  12. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    You can carry a firearm through Canada if you prepare for it in advance, take a class, and pay the fees. I am starting to plan for Alaska 2009 and am mulling over the firearm decision. Protection is one consideration but so is food if I get stuck some where. I also have no idea how I would pack a rifle on a motorcycle. What about a hatchet? Anybody pack one? It is a great survival tool. Okay...I better take an F-350 PSD the way I want to pack.

Anyway, I plan to camp a long the way with a couple 2-3 day hikes out and back.

Carl
  13. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    May 22nd might slide to May 26, but, it's about time to go.
    Quick run to Socal on the bike then pack and go.

Gonna see all the sites, and a bunch of ADV riders too I think.

Route, kind of........
    Well, to big to upload. Trust me though, it's gonna be great.....:clap
  14. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been told that at least one of the wilderness hiking groups here in Alaska advocates that approach for their members. Not sure if there are any statistics on how often it has been used, or how effective it is, but they seem to believe in it.
  15. guesswork

guesswork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in our late 40's and mid 50's, we are firefighters and one of us is retarted)

Which one?
  16. Rock Doctor

Rock Doctor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please leave them at home. Its not as if bears are standing on the side of the road licking their chops. Be bear smart and you will be fine. Bangers are good, pepper spray as well.

Rock Doctor

17. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe the bears don't in Canada. We got smart ones up here. What, you think someone just made up this cartoon?!? :wink: :lol3

[​IMG]

J/K. I jokes. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. Mark H.
  18. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    That's fine if staying on the road. How do you feel about hiking out away from the roads for 2-3 days? For me, I sometimes carry in case of an emergency where I get injured and might need food. Also cell phone and 2m HT.

Carl
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend the Bear Spray, the Canucks are pretty scared of us pistol carrying Americans. respect there fears and take the spray. For peace of mind, because YOU WILL see Grizzly Bears somwhere along the way, that is what makes it an adventure. Have been very close numerous times fishing in Alaska, just give them room and respect and you will be fine. Hopefully..?
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've often wondered how many have been caught and what happened to them.

I've been going thru the AK-Canada-AK or Canada-Contiguous U.S borders for years and have been really lucky. No searches. Seen the mess of other vehicles being searched tho. Not pretty. I think dogbrother Comet helped get me by a less than friendly lady guard last year. She even cracked a smile near the end.

And yes, once a few years ago I had to go in with the border patrol agent and listen to everyone in the office give their opinion on whether or not my big 12oz can of bear spray was ok. It had a picture of a bear on it and I thought that made it ok. They finally all agreed and let me have it and continue on my way.

One of my more interesting crossings took place way late into the night down in WA about 4 or 5yrs ago. A friendly lady guard alone in her booth and I were striking up conversation when after a while a stern voice came over the intercom after which she said I should probably be on my way. Dang jealous male border guards. :lol2

Well meaning but misunderstood Markie Mark