Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. We also tend to plan what to ride the night before or over coffee the day of.......
    Always works great!
    We will cover about 10K in 40 days.
    Anchor point is one of our must be places as it is the furthest west you can ride, sans ferry.
    Mark
  2. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Official scheduled departure, 8 am, 5/25!!!!!
    C-ya up north.
  3. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I could join you, but work will not let me take that much time off,
    anybody travelling through the Lethbridge Alberta area, let me know, I have a extra room tools, etc.
    If you are travelling this way and have time check out Glaicer National Park and the going to the sun road, great view,

ride safe
  4. bionicbushwacker

bionicbushwacker 08 klr

Oddometer:
    Hello to all,
    Well looks like I can go also. Closing the business down. Bought a new bike.
    Wife says its ok. I have the money. So I have no excuse not to go. However, all I know about this is a big nothing. I will be leaving Long Beach CA somtime in June and need to return to be in Montery for Moto Gp on the 18, 19 20, th of July. Any links or info on riders who have info would be much appreciated.
  5. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:

Bionic, Head to your local Libary and grab a few books. That's a great place to start.
  6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only link you need is the desire to do this epic ride. Just do it. It will all work out. Went last year and after all the planning it just works out each day, just go where you want. Enjoy.
  7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke █║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer:
    Leaving solo from Omaha on 6/28 for AK via Jasper, Banff, etc. Eventually taking the R1100RT up the haul road to Prudhoe (if Harleys and Busas can do it, so can I!). If anyone wants to join up along the way send me a PM.
  8. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are three of us headed to Deadhorse from Seattle on 06/28 as well. 2 GS's and one GSA. Keep an eye open for us and say hello. I have two HUGE ADV stickers on my panniers.
  9. DiggerDuck

DiggerDuck Never Ending

Oddometer:
    We're leaving 5/28 heading north towards Montana, then planning on making our way to Fairbanks and north depending on weather, return trip using the water route. No real plans other than to have a great time. Maybe we will pass each other.

Have a good trip.:thumbup
  10. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Same to ya!
    Packing today. Outta here tomorrow! Giddy with excitement.
    CA, OR, WA, BC - Cassiar, Yukon - Canol Rd, Dempster to Inuvik, AK - Dalton to Prudhoe Bay, Anchor Point Beach, Alberta - Jasper, Banff, MT - Going to the Sun, Bear Tooth, Yellowstone, WY - Teton, ID, NV, CA - Home
    5/25 through 7/4.
    Look for 07 GSA and a 07 GS (yellow). Both likely two up.
    Mark
  11. KMS6

KMS6 Mountains and Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    -------------------------------------
    Two riders (KLR and Ulysses) heading out on 5/31 from Spokane, 23 days , goal is Prudhoe Bay. Maybe we'll see you guys up there.
  12. Monkey_Boy

Monkey_Boy Los bichos atacan

Oddometer:
    Quack quack :1drink

:D
  13. DiggerDuck

DiggerDuck Never Ending

Oddometer:
    :freaky

Soon Dude!
  14. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    i did a good amount of solo camping in AK and Yukon / NWT ... I was told that air horns were effective so i got one... never used it but i slept better i guess.. (it was also hunting season, and apparently bears make themselves scarce) i dont even know if that's true but again it helped me sleep... i also had a hatchet (for firewood, not bears) but was never searched, i never even considered that it might be a no-no at the border......
    just my 2 cents
  15. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    more 2 cents....... watch out for sections of soft, loose gravel on paved roads, especially in canada.. trucks make ruts that can be scary...slow down when u see these sections...
  16. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys I am going to Prudhoe Bay next month and want to swap out my Anakees for TKC's in Fairbanks. Who can I get a decent deal from on 3 sets? All three of our bikes will need them.

Thanks!
  17. ErikBrazil

ErikBrazil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks..from sao paulo brazil 1 month later already south mexico...wait for me in 2 more months....

hugs
    Erik
  18. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    check out the harley shop in fairbanks. they should have tkcs 170.00rear 110.00 front
  19. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Trails End BMW and Harley Davidson in Fairbanks work togther. Call ahead of time and put your reservation in to avoid potential delays...:ricky
  20. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about 24 hours from leaving the east coast for Alaska and have to say my stomach is a little in knots. I'm hoping I'm caught up with work, prepped and packed. I don't have a fixed schedule other than being in Whitehorse on the 14th for tires and then D2D after the Dempster. However, I'll need to do 600 mile days to get out there. Although I've been working out, with arthritis and assorted ailments I'm starting to be concerned whether I'll physically be able to do it. To add pressure, everyone I know is now living vicariously through my planned adventure.

Last summer I took a two week ride to Quebec on my then new K1200S and by day three was ready to swear off riding completely, I was in so much pain. I had previously done similar rides on a VFR and an RC51 but now feel so much older and decrepit. At some point during that last ride I resolved rather than quit riding I had to make the cross-country motorcycle trip that had been a nearly lifelong dream- well at least since Then Came Bronson. In the interim, it expanded to Alaska, another dream, and here I am.

I'm sure once I get past the bedlam in getting out of the office and once out past Chicago and knowing I can do consecutive 600 mile days, all will be good.

Not whining, just wanted to share my anticipation of my epic adventure.

See you all on the road.