Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by paulgadget, May 4, 2007.

1. erider

erider erider

Oddometer:
    Exurban - you'll be fine. If your system is able to tolerate aspirin, take two 'bout 30 minutes before you shove off each morning. Knock 'em back with a glass of orange juice and a banana or two. The aspirin will dialate your capillaries, the banana will provide necessary postassium to prevent muscle cramping, and the orange juice with it's natural sugars is a good enery boost. Avoid eating a grande breakfast as it will require too much energy to digest - and then only slow you down. For the arthur-itis, get some good 'hot' analgesic balm and load up.

Finallly - you see that little grip on the right ? It's called a 'fun meter'. The more you twist it - the more fun you'll have ! Be safe - and have a great trip ! (BTW - my departure date is 7/5 - I ain't too far behind)
  2. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No aspirin- interferes with the blood clotting issue. Tylenol and my Dr. gave me Celebrex samples. One of my major problems is a bad habit of not eating breakfast, not stopping for breaks and not enough water. It's imperative I have some discipline to address those as well as icing down the joints at the end of the day. So the real problem isn't my aches, pains and fatigue, it's that I ignore them thinking I can just push myself and ride them out. Yep, real manly of me. :baldy
  3. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exurban are you on Coumadin? You mention the blood clotting issue. I take it for an artificial Aortic valve and will be headed to Alaska in a few weeks. Hydration is amazingly important. I can't stress it enough. Get yourself a good size camelback and drink constantly. That will force you to take breaks because you will have to pee every few hours. :D
  4. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a camelbak last summer when I was running around North America, and it was a huge help. I also found out that "vitamin-enhanced" drinks like Aquafina Alive, or Aquafina plus+ helped a lot with overall sense of well being on the trip. I won't do straight water if something vitamin-enhanced is available.
  5. ben35

ben35 n00b

Oddometer:
    hello all. well i'll be going too, québec city to dawson and i'll see after that probably inuvik and ak. solo rider '05 klr 650 and a big smile and sore ass.
    first big bike trip:ricky leaving july 6th
  6. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm on the road and doing fine so far. A 300 and two 600 mile days put me in the middle of North Dakota. Tylenol, bananas, water, get off and rest all seem to be working so far. With two days of gusty winds and rain, my arthritic hands are taking the biggest hit. Five more days should put me in Whitehorse. Anyone know what the road conditions are like in western Montana and up into B.C.?
  7. ncrider38

ncrider38 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any solo riders leaving North Carolina area for Alaska around 1-15 July 08?
  8. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you keep us up to date on your progress!
  9. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Rainy, rainy. Just left Hyder, AK, and now in Watson Lake.

Rain, rain, go away.
  10. erider

erider erider

Oddometer:
    Departing solo from Chardon (suburb of Cleveland, OH) on Sat 7/5. Slab to Rapid City, SD. Then:

Black Hills - Mt. Rushmore
    Tetons
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banf/Jasper Canadian Rockies
    Grand Prarier
    Alcan from Dawson Creek to Whitehorse
    on to Anchorage

Camping all the way. Coleman Phad Exponent 3 tent, Slumberjack +20 bag with a ThermaRest ProLite 4 mat.

Once in Anchorage, my wife is flying in and doing 10 days on the back. We'll (hopefully !) get to see Denali and all of the Kenai peninsula. I will then drop her off at the Anchorage airport - where she'll fly into Juneau. I will ride the bike to Haines - board the ferry into Juneau. Once in Juneau, we board another boat for Prince Rupert - and on to Vancouver Island. Perhaps a week or so on the island - and another boat from Nanaimo over to Vancouver. Drop her off at the airport - and then a great ride along Route 20 thru Washington and the Cascades. Down thru Idaho and into Logan, UT to visit my daughter. Back to Chardon, OH by 8/15.

Bike: '04 KTM 950 Black. Estimated total mileage: 9k. Estimated expenses: 6k.
  11. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Watson Lake right now leaving for Whitehorse, which looks like I'll have a hard time finding a room. Had five straight days of bad rain, snow on the Icefields Parkway, wind, fog and lightning. Last two days have been dry and yesterday was great. This much time on the road wears you down though. The 300 miles days feel as tiring as the 600's, or it could be "bike lag" from going through three time zones. :D Eating right and getting water does make a big difference. My hands are the worst and sticking with Tylenol for now, holding off on the Celebrex until I have to.

Icefields Parkway is a can't miss road, amazing scenery, almost 200 non-stop miles of geologic fun. The Summit Lake and Stone Mountain stretch of the Alaska Highway between Ft. Nelson and Watson Lake was very cool. Have seen bear, buffalo, sheep and caribou and they do stand in the middle of the road.
  12. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I'm not headed there untill July 18th but I sure would like to know if that gas station is open at Mezadian Junction. Perhaps you could post a report when you are able.

Thanks
  13. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear
  14. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    135lbs of gear (that includes the weight of the Vario cases)

Leaving out of here around 6am tomorrow to meet up with DCSDiego and slabin' it 760 miles up the 5 for the first day.:clap
  15. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    I went through Meziadin Junction a few days ago, and the gas station looked abandoned to me. It was certainly not open for business at the time. I had just hit reserve and was paying attention.

Some Harley guys loaned me some gas a few miles down the road, so I made it into Hyder.

Currently in Whitehorse finishing bike repairs before heading for Dawson.
  16. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer....no bear paw burger at the cafe then. Just have to save myself for the Bus in Hyder.

Thanks for the update, been following your trip.....sounds like quite the journey.

I'm headed up 6/28 and can't wait. Did the trip two years ago on a klr and just couldnt wait to do it again:evil

Ride safe

17. Hawg Blister

Hawg Blister n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello there Alaska Trippers. I too am heading north in a couple of weeks (28 June). I turned the big 5-0 this year so I HAD to do something. I love riding and moving so my son (14) and I will ride two-up from Oregon up thru BC, ALCAN, Fairbanks, Anchorage, the Glenn, Haines and then the ferry back. It's really great to hear about others making the trip. My bike is ready, we're ready (I hope); it's like two weeks of Chrismas Eve :lol3 until D-day.

If any of you are on the road the 28 June - 18 July, you won't miss us. We will be on a big blue '05 Harley Electra-Glide Classic. Sounds like I need to get a ADV Rider sticker. Anyhow, great treads.
  18. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there! Where in Oregon are you coming from? We are leaving from Southern Washington on the 29th. I'm sure we will see you along the way. We will be three guys on BMW GS's. Red, Red and Yellow. Keep an eye out for us as well. I do have ADV stickers on both my panniers.
  19. Hawg Blister

Hawg Blister n00b

Oddometer:
    We are coming from Cottage Grove which is about 20 miles south of Eugene. Plan on staying with my daughter in Olympia the night of the 28th and then cross the border on the 29th. First stop is Cache Creek, but may go further. Just depends on our riding 'legs'. I wanted to start out moderately because we have some 400+ days planned. Anyway, good luck. See you on the road.:ricky
  20. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Just met another rider in Dawson who said the gas station at Meziadin Junction was closed for him, too.