Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by squonker, Oct 5, 2007.

1. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I just saw the 'Alaska 2007' thread, and although I only read the first and last pages (I'll check it out properly in the near future), I thought I'd see who else is going to be around in the GWN next summer.

I'm leaving from the Northwest Territories June 1st and I'll be gone until mid September. I plan on checking out pretty much the entire Yukon and the entire state of Alaska. I'll be camping almost 100% of the time, checking out some old mining roads along the way, and riding solo the majority of the time. I want to do the trip alone, but am very much looking forward to meeting other adv riders along the way. (I've never met one in person!)

I have a place to stay in Whitehorse, and am thinking about the possibility of spending a few weeks there working to make my bank manager happy, thoroughly checking out that city and the surrounding area's dual sport riding scene while I'm there. (Hidden agenda here - I may move to Whitehorse if I like it enough). No fixed dates other than June 1st, and one later in the season when I'm meeting a buddy from Vancouver Island to ride the Dempster with him.

Hope to meet some of you on the road! :ricky Ooh ya!
  2. nwrider50

nwrider50 multi-purpose rider

Oddometer:
    I am Planning a trip to the Yukon in 2008 to play all the golf courses there. There is suppose to be one in Inuvik so I will be on the dempster as well. Looking at sometime in Aug or sept. checkout website ZRtours.com
  3. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yup, ...July 18th through August 10th, 2008. Two riders, 1150GS and 1200GSA. We'll start in Atlanta, GA, haul arse to Seattle and start enjoying from that point on. The goal is Prudhoe Bay, smoke a cuban cigar :wink: and head back to ATL. We've got 3 weeks to accomplish all that. On the way back we'll pay a visit to the Harley boys and girls in Sturgis...

This will be my 2nd Alaska trip, the 1st to Prudhoe Bay.
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Inuvik is hosting their 50th anniversary next summer and is encouraging people to come celebrate. I am sure you will meet many adv riders on the road next year.
  5. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    You will
    It's one of best parts of my trip this summer. Lot's of riders to meet every where you go.
  6. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    We leave from TN on July 3, 2008... For the trip of a life time!

In the planning stages now.

Coop
  7. squonker

Oddometer:
    Right on! Good to know that I'll be bumoing into a few fellow ADVers (but I never really thought that I wouldn't do so!)

See ya on the road! :kumbaya
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coop,
    Ya better stay in touch as you make your plans - I'll do my best to repay your Southern hospitality with the Northern version. Might even introduce you to some great barbecue up here in the Northland. :D
  9. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    I will stay in touch. We are into the meat of the planning now and have set the first two days worth of stops. Some items like speed, cross loading equipment, commo gear, and other details.

I dont know about the other guys but the time till the ride is passing so slow!!!

Coop
  10. Romulus

Romulus Air Pirate

Oddometer:
    Im leaving last week of April/ first week of May from Colorado. Staying the summer and returning end of September/ early October.
  11. Red08

Red08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, 3 of us Michiganders will be leaving 3rd week in June for Prudhoe Bay. Planning on 6 weeks. 2-KLR 650, one new 1200GS Adv. It will be the trip of a lifetime, I hope.:D
    Still planning the routes, but figure to make 400 miles a day when possible, and take in some of the culture....:1drink

RED08
  12. g-bike

g-bike beerdrinkin'fuckaholic

Oddometer:
    Going in 08 as well if everything holds out at work. Deadhorse or bust! Looking at the June window but still in the planning stages. Not only the trip of a life time but it seems I've been dreaming of it for a life time! Seems this coming year its really gonna happen. Both kids outta the house :clap Camping all the way. :D
  13. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving June 7 from Delaware, six weeks, hotels, shiny new 1200GS, Dawson, Inuvik, Deadhorse, Homer, Seward, Valdez...
  14. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Me too. should be leaving from the Left Coast on the 15th of June. Might be alone, maybe with several other riders...not too sure about them right now. Possible hook up in Fairbanks?

:freaky
  15. Groomez

Groomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be up there for sure, maybe 2 months I guess, riding out west. :wink:
  16. squonker

Oddometer:
    So how many of you are planning on making it for the D2D June 19th and 20th? I know it's right at the top of my list of things not to miss while I'm out that way....
  17. GrayWolf

GrayWolf Lupine Rider

Oddometer:
    In answer to your question coop, I too think time is passing far too slowly. Scary part is it will be here before we know it. Where is that countdown clock you were talking about.
  18. Lurch II

Lurch II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have all the details worked out yet but we hope to be doing Alaska from the right coast next year - probably starting in July and taking six weeks to get as far as we can while stopping to smell the roses. I'm hoping to retire from my crazy day job, then find something else to do at the end of the summer. Maybe I'll just ride all summer but Mrs Lurch can only get six weeks of play time before she needs to be back at work.
  19. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:
    I&#8217;m leaving <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="2008" Day="1" Month="6">June 1<SUP>st</SUP> 2008</st1:date> for thirty days exploring <st1:State><st1:place>Alberta</st1:place></st1:State>, <st1:State><st1:place>Yukon Territory</st1:place></st1:State>, <st1:State><st1:place>British Columbia</st1:place></st1:State> and <st1:State><st1:place>Alaska</st1:place></st1:State>&#8230;

*** 9000+ miles in thirty days ***
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Trip beginning and ending from <st1:place><st1:City>Phoenix</st1:City>, <st1:State>AZ.</st1:State></st1:place>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;ll be ridding my 2002 R1150GS&#8230; :thumb
    With <st1:City><st1:place>Fairbanks</st1:place></st1:City> being the halfway point, I plan on shipping a set of tires to Trails End BMW&#8230;
    (New set of tires and an oil change for the ride home)

I plan on camping during the early stages of my ride, then Motels and Hostels as I get further north&#8230; (Mosquitoes)

<o:p></o:p>I&#8217;m planning to ride solo with the possibly of meeting other riders along the way&#8230;

[​IMG]
    Trails End BMW
    <st1:address><st1:Street>PO Box 80754</st1:Street>
    <st1:City>Fairbanks</st1:City> <st1:State>Alaska</st1:State> <st1:postalCode>99708</st1:postalCode></st1:address>
    Voice (907)-479-2367

<o:p><st1:place><st1:City>Phoenix</st1:City>, <st1:State>AZ</st1:State></st1:place> to <st1:place><st1:City>Prudhoe Bay</st1:City>, <st1:State>AK</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:City>Prudhoe Bay</st1:City>, <st1:State>AK</st1:State></st1:place> to <st1:place><st1:City>Phoenix</st1:City>, <st1:State>AZ</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>
  20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    Man..I didn't plan on an Alaska trip until 2009. However, you guys are making me think I should bump it up a year. :evil

I don't know if I would want to do that trip alone though.