Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by squonker, Oct 5, 2007.

1. IJM

IJM Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer:
    I'm in the planning stage to head out of Toronto on Jun. 13, still haven't fully worked out a route most likely outbound through Canada and on teh trip home head down to the States and work my way back east.
    This is assuming I can block out six weeks from work calendar.

If all goes well I hope to see you folks out there, in any event have a great trip to all those that are planning.
  2. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    We're in the planning stages as well. We can only spare 3 weeks so we're pussin' and starting from Anchorage; leaving 13 June 08. Heading up to Prudhoe and into the NWT and BC then back to Anchorage. If I'm unemployed by then, I'm riding home to NH and Kim's flying.

I'll be on a 640 Adventure and Kim will be on an new 690 Enduro that we pick up in Anchorage (how come she always gets the new equipment)?
  3. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion...

If you&#8217;re planning a trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Alaska</st1:place></st1:State> via <st1:State><st1:place>Alberta</st1:place></st1:State>, <st1:State><st1:place>British Columbia</st1:place></st1:State>, <st1:State><st1:place>Yukon</st1:place></st1:State> and <st1:place><st1:placeName>North West</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Territories</st1:placeType></st1:place>&#8230;
    You need to get a copy of this book&#8230; :thumb
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It costs $28.00 USD and it's worth every penny&#8230;

http://www.themilepost.com/
    <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
  4. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to next summer. I will be travelling solo, mostly. Leaving the first week of June from San Diego and taking 6 weeks.

Inuvik
    Prudhoe
    Denali
    Homer
    McCarthy
    Valdez
    Haines
    Ferry to Bellingham

Plan to ship a set of TKC's to Dawson and a rear TKC to Anchorage. Will put Tourances back on in Seattle.

Will be camping all the way. Hope to meet up with all of you.
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I have the same bike...can you share your planning once you get it nailed down?
  6. JohnSnyder

JohnSnyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three of us (two retired, one self employed) will be leaving Charlotte, NC for a 6+ week trip to Alaska on July 15, 2008. We'll be in no rush - we plan frequent stops for pictures and approximate 300 mile days when we get onto scenic roads. We've all three bought "Alaska bikes". I bought a 2005 BMW F650GS Dakar, another guy bought a 2004 VStrom 1000 and the third guy bought a 2008 KLR 650. We plan to stay in motels and eat in restaurants. I've read accounts of 40 or so individuals who've written up their motorcycle trips to Alaska, so I've got a very complete idea of what I want to do.
  7. farmdirt

farmdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    three farmers planning trip to fairbanks , leaving pasco WA. last

week of july heading up 97 to watson lake . then over to fairbanks, will

explore a little from there before returning a different route . one month

trip, hope to see ya shiney side up. DOH . I ride 950 adv. orange,

friends riding F650gs and KLR I will carry tow strap ...
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The mosquitos aren't that bad. A little "off" and you'll be fine. I never had to complain about mosquitos.

I would like to respectfully recomend the Cassier on the way up, Alcan on the way down- the Cassier as a prelude to the Dalton.
  9. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will leave Southern Wisconsin on June 28 and must return by July 30. I don't play well with others:D so it will be a solo ride but hope to meet some ADVer's along the way. I'm thinking around 10,000 miles and 75% camping.

I've been planning this trip for a couple years now and wish June 28 was closer! My :eek1 adventure:huh bike is a black Honda VTX 1800 which will prolly be sold, as is, upon my return.

I've ordered a FYYFF sticker for my helmet to help with meeting up with some of yose guys and gals on the road. :freaky
  10. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I think that depends on when you're there. The mosquitos on the Dempster in late June were unbelievable.

And yes the Cassier is great. Stop at Stewart/Hyder:thumb
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth! I heard of an adv'r who left his buddies and turned around and went home while on his way up, the skeeters got so bad! :huh Mosquito headnets are cheap and small and can be worth their weight in platinum. :wink: Remember, they ARE our State bird AND we use them to drill for oil.

Ok, as a lifelong Alaskan, a few things I feel I have mention: I'm saddened when I see or hear of riders coming up here just to get to the "end of the road," bypassing what many consider the most spectacular part of our State, Southcentral Alaska, especially Valdez, Seward, and/or Homer.

Next, if someone wants to ride the Ferry system, I highly recommend only taking it between Prince Rupert BC and Haines, AK rather than Bellingham, WA. The roads in and out of Haines and Rupert are AWESOME and you still get a nice 2 day rest on the Ferry rather than a LONG 4 day ride. Besides, you'll get to see more of BC (which of course stands for Beautiful Country) and you'll also save time and money. And no, motorcycles don't usually (if ever) HAVE to have reservations to get on board. And if you do ride the Ferry, your trip will be a lot better if you avoid the MV Kennicott. It was built more as an oil spill response command vessel than a passenger friendly ferry following the Valdez spill. I've ridden them all and like the MV Malaspina the best. It was also the only one with free WiFi last summer.

Also, don't rent a cabin or pitch a tent unless you feel you HAVE to have some privacy. Instead, just enjoy the social atmosphere up in the Solarium giving you a nice 270 degree panoramic view from the comfort of fully reclining loungers with heat units above you in the ceiling. :D

And for those who are interested, a bunch of us advr's gather in Dawson Yukon every year around Solstice on the Dust 2 Dawson ride. Over 100 riders showed up this year. Fun!

And of course, above all, have fun! :thumb Mark H.
  12. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    +1000! I visited Seward and Valdez this past season on Mark's advice (hi Mark!), and it was far and away the scenic highlight of my trip. Prudhoe Bay and the North Slope may be the gold metal destination for ADV riders, but it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, the Exit Glacier, right next door to Seward on the Kenai Peninsula, looks like this:
    [​IMG]

And the awesome, awesome road to Valdez looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I've heard that the Icefields Parkway is the most scenic road in North America, but after traveling both I'd argue that it's the road from Glenallen to Valdez, no contest.
  13. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    AKDuc, thanks so much for the advise, especially the ferry info.
  14. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    I've spent 75% of my life living up here in various parts of the State...specifically Kodiak, Anchorage (Eagle River), Dutch Harbor, Sterling, and Juneau.

I completely agree with what Mark said, and I've said the same thing before. Everyone is so intent on doing the Haul Road that they forget about the rest of this absolutely amazing State.

The Denali Highway is incredible. So is the entire Kenai Peninsula. SE Alaska has few roads, but the scenery is absolutely amazing. The Mat-Su Valley, especially in the fall, is breathtaking.

To those willing to spend the time - and MONEY - to come up here to ride - make sure you get your monies worth and check out the ENTIRE State, as much of it as you can!!! :beer
  15. Starblazer

Starblazer n00b

Oddometer:
    Im leaving the first week of May from New Hampshire to see friends in Fairbanks and Anchorage.
    2005 GS

16. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I agree. While I'm glad for going to the Dempster and Top of the World etc. the best scenery on my trip was Haines Junction to Haines. Next time I'll spend more time in the south for sure.
  17. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:
    After ridding through <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Banff</st1:place></st1:City> and Jasper, I plan on riding over to Price George and up Hwy 97 to <st1:place><st1:placeName>Watson</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> and join the Campbell Hwy.

Klondike Hwy to <st1:place><st1:placeName>Dawson</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>City</st1:placeType></st1:place> and camp on the <st1:place>Yukon River</st1:place>&#8230;

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Would anyone recommend ridding out to Keno, NE of Stewart Crossing..?
  18. Bruce10

Bruce10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, A couple of mates and I are comming over from New Zealand and Australia for a 5 week look around BC and Alaska from 3 july to 8th aug.
    We are renting bikes ( r1200gs ) for a 3 week loop out of Joseph ,Oregon and then flying up to Alaska for a 2 week loop out of anchorage.
    After lots of reading and research we have decided not to do the Dalton and spend the extra time around the Kennai and Haines etc.
    The bikes are rented and the air tickets get paid this weekend so its all starting to happen.:clap :clap

You'll be able to spot us - we'll be the ones on the wrong side of the road:D .
  19. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Excellent - you'll love the Kenai!!! The Haines area is awesome as well.
  20. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading to Alaska from atlanta. Crossing from washington state about 1 june. Planning on spending about 3 weeks in Alaska. Riding a 12GS solo. Hope to see a few of you while there. No real plan but will try to see a bit more this time.:D