Alaska 2008

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by squonker, Oct 5, 2007.

1. gixracer

gixracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lowduck and i plan on being in prudhoe on the 4th of july:clap
  2. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Not this year
  3. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Hubby (Highbinder) and I are planing this Alaska this year also....
    Getting a lot of good ideas and tips..From all... Thanks...
    Can't wait... It also sounds like camping is going to be more in store..

Our trip in 07 was a great one also... Did a north route Left Va.. Ky,IN,Il,Wi,Mn,N.D.,Mt,Id,Wa,Or,Ca,Nv,Ut,Co,Ks,Ok,Ar,Tn ,& home.
    The coolest thing was ~Getting to the salt flats during Speed week...
    7300 miles in 18 days... We stoped at a friends place for 3 days...
    Plus riding in Goblin Vally.. And down the Coast on Us 101... The Red woods are just great!!! And every thing in between...
    There's nothing like riding a fine moto in country that you have not been in... Picked up a few states that we had never been in... On that trip...The yellow ones...
    We hit it hard till Wa.. Had some friends take us on some really great roads... Still my Favorite state is Ut...
    I feel that Ak.. Is going to take over that spot !!! :clap

4. Kilter

Kilter As In "Out of ......."

Oddometer:
    Leaving Albuquerque for Ancorage on June 1. Hooking up with some buds from FL and plan to motel it on the way up. Plan to spend a week in Alaska and then come back to the Northwest via ferry. Last time it took us about 8 days one way :ricky so we plan to be home by the end of the month.

Most beautiful part of the trip was going west from Dawson's Creek through British Columbia :D .
  5. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    August 1 i'm leaving Toronto and two weeks leather i plane being in Prudhoe

Cheers
    Pix
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I live in south central Alaska.
    I have an empty cabin (next to my home), lots of camping, area knowledge, and a bike trailer, shop, tools, and if time allows could even guide a ride or 10.

Please let me know if I can assist and when your arrivals will be.

I will PM my contact info to people whom would like it.

Ride safe my friends

Gusgus

PS don't forget the Dust to Dawson ride we Alaskan's do. It is a everyone is welcome event and loads of fun.

Check it out in the Great White North!
  7. Graydog

Graydog 4th qtr, no timeouts

Oddometer:
    OK, after reading everyone's comments I am reminded that an Alaskan ride has been on my short list too long. Early June sounds good to me, maybe a bit earlier as I met all the mosquitoes I ever want to know while living in Southeast Asia. Since a few of us seem to be leaving from the Southwest, or on the way from the lower left coast, maybe we can work out some on the road time together. I will probably take he KLR and don't mind camping out.

Thanks for the inspiration to get this ride on the table...graydog (aka Carl) in La Mesa, CA (east of San Diego)
  8. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I, after my last summer ride to Alaska and back to Tx., agree that not riding out of Haines and also riding the Kenai Peninsula should not be missed. Everyone wants to say they rode to Prudhoe Bay, a great ride I am sure, but the scenery in both the areas mentioned before were more to my liking. The Icefields Parkway in Canada is incredibly beautiful. Do whatever ride that suits you, there are no bad roads in Alaska-just more challenging than others. It is all good. Bring Rain gear, DEET and RV repellent, you will need all of them. Enjoy the ride, words do no justice to this awsome place/ride.
  9. koalaKid

koalaKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    silly question: what is "RV repellent"?
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    44 Magnum stainless(rust), with 6 quick reloaders!
  11. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    I have the opportunity to go to alaska with one other bike, leaving June 15th and arrive home about Aug 15th. Rochester NY is home. For me it's not the time but trying to figure the cost of being in alaska for several weeks to be sure the piggy bank can afford it.. There will be a tire and fluid change required as well as the normal expenses. Is $150/day enough for alaska?
  12. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    A good question I'd like an answer to. I would camp / cook to cut costs as well.

Anyone ridden up there and back on smaller dirt bikes? Comments on doing that (as I plan to do)?

Stu
  13. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Stu,

What do you consider a "smaller dirt bike"? Someone did it on a TW200 from Utah, and I know more than a few XT225's have crossed the border.
  14. Dharmadon

Dharmadon road warrior

Oddometer:
    OK, so gas is not cheap...{$3.87 reg-lar at present) but if you can't live on $150 a day,(and the days ARE long because of the summer sun) well then you are probly drinkin more than riden and can recoup some savins with campin and cookin out...just sayin...:lol3
  15. Daggy

Daggy Wondering ...

Oddometer:
    I really, really, reeaaallly envy the guys who have an extended summer to ride Alaska and the GWN.

Count one Minnesotan and two Nebraskans for AK in June. Planning to ride the big boat up around 6/15. (Note: avoided the "f" word)

How many plan to ride the boat north and how many ride south? Someone somewhere mentioned it might be less crowded southbound, especially early in the season.

Dave
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Any of you going to be at Dust to Dawson?

We (the Alaskan Gruvers and many more) will be in Dawson City for the summer solstice and a great couple of days to meet and greet the throngs of newbies to our group as well as the old snorts.

All brands are welcome, all people are welcome and most of all there is no age limit or lifestyle limits (side cars and trikes are welcome)

Come on everyone and stop in and say hi at the only gathering of the Great White Northern get together.

Here is the linky; click and say hi as well even if you aint gonna be there.
  17. Nail24

Nail24 Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer:
    I hope that time works because I'm planning to leave NC in mid- August and head up via the east approach through EDM. The road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay is gravel and will be a real chalenge for a dresser if wet. I'd get the GS if you're really wanting to go on unpaved roads. The updated Milepost will be out in March.
  18. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:

hmmmm...you are ambitious, aren't you? There is a very good chance that the pass will still have snow by mid-May.

Valdez Trip Report
  19. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Well spoken...and, not enough.....the obsession with Prudhoe is exasperating with so many great rides around the state.
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    "RV" = recreation vehicle like a big motorhome.

They're THICK up here in the summertime and our roads are narrow 2 lane. Meaning only one lane each direction. We even had to put up signs stating "Delay of 5 Vehicles Illegal" to remind the poor less than considerate gawking tourists. Actually saw on RV get pulled over once for said infraction.

For many of us the disdain for RV's grew even more last year on the return portion of D2D. Turns out the leader of an RV caravan pulled over on EVERY ONE of us as we were passing him on the Top of the World Hwy! :huh I just gassed my little KLR the best I could as he came closer and closer to me and on the left was a big drop off. The Top of the World Hwy is so narrow in places that I'm amazed that there's even room for the big tour buses and RV's to pass one another going in opposite directions. We all thought ours was an isolated incident till weeks later when we started comparing notes! Crazy.

Good luck. Have fun. Mark H.