Alaska 2009

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Niznack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    We (Dyvking and I) are each taking one of these. Turned out we each already had one.
    [​IMG]

These rev pack people made really good kit. And they are a family run business (though not my family) located nearby.
    http://revpack.com/motorcycle/main.html
    Some benefits of soft luggage: Lighter, more flexible, won't break off in a get-off. I think for the same storage capacity, they are less expensive as well
    Hard luggage is a little more secure in that they can be locked to the bike and while on the bike.
    Either way, ya pays yer monies and ya takes yer chances. Whatever works best for you.
  2. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and bring a cloth to clean the bugs off the wind shield and helmet as it has been the worst year for black fly's and misquotes in a while. :huh
  3. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Depart day is T minus 32... not what I wanted to hear about the flying meat eaters/blood suckers!!!!!!!
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Leave in 3 days.
  5. knolan.smith

knolan.smith I hope Atlas shrugs

Oddometer:
    mosquito and flies is not good news, but at least i have DEET and mesh...

I'm riding Calgary-Deadhorse-Anchorage with my dad and brother. we leave Calgary on the 12th and ride into Anchorage on the 25th. Quick, but my brother only has so much leave and dad can only not work for so long, so.

We're easy to spot, three GS Adventures, one white, one blue, one red.:D
  6. Footprint

Oddometer:
    If I see the final drive on the side of the road I will have to ask which color... JK!!!!!

Ride safe and have fun!!!!!
  7. ladyfallsalot

ladyfallsalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a place with a two month riding season. Why?!
    If Any Of You Are Passing Through Edmonton Alberta Canada On Your Way North Feel Free To Contact Me Or Curbjumper For Anything. Roads To Ride Tools To Use What Ever You Need. Or Just Stop By The Alberta Safety Council Where We Teach. Good Luck To You All And Watchout For The Black Bears And Rv"s From Saskatchewan. Sorry Grain Belt...
  8. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Left Houston last Sunday, stopped in St. Pete, FL 1024 miles in 14:06 hours. :deal
    One of the "welcome to FL" girls showed me her tits while I was riding down I-75 about 10pm at 75mph. Nice :clap

Went to Key West on Monday.

Left Key West on Tuesday morning.

I ran into an inmate on the Dragon, on Wednesday (Hey Kyle).

And this morning when I uncovered the bike in St. Louis

[​IMG]

The banana god visited me overnight. Thanks!

In La Crosse, WI tonight. Fargo, ND via Duluth tomorrow, crossing the border in Sunday.

Should be running the Haul road on July 5th.

Found an oil leak today, forgot to put to rubber gasket around the center of the valve cover when I did a 12K service. Doh! Leak fixed, no more problem.
  9. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    got home from my ride to Prudhoe yesterday.
    great trip 29 days 9150 miles.
    would leave to do it again tomorrow if I could.
  10. 50X50

50X50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was your favorite part of the trip?
  11. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the best source of information on weather and road conditions between Fairbanks and Deadhorse?
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://511.alaska.gov/

Actually, this is the second best source. Due to its rapidly changing personality, the best way is to go north and see for yourself. Someone coming south may have experienced conditions completely different from what you would find. Couple of years ago the rider I was with questioned a southbound trucker about the road north of Coldfoot. From his description we would be lucky to survive the attempt. Turned out we made it to Deadhorse in just over 5 hours.
  13. Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti McGillicuddy's pal

Oddometer:
    Am curious to see how many who said they were in, actually did it this summer or are doing it right now.
  14. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too early to tell yet. According to the calendar, "summer" has just begun. But we here in Alaska have started counting down to winter already as we watch the days begin to get shorter... and snow even hitting the roadside in a few places. :(:

Haven't even made it all the way to Deadhorse myself yet, even though I've already worn out one rear tire on the Dalton. But pretty soon... :D
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    IMO, a lot. We saw quite a few bikes both directions on our D2D run this last week.

I've also talked with quite a few riders this summer MANY of whom aren't on here having never even heard of ADV! :huh

When I see a moto-traveler, the first thing I ask is "are you on ADV?" :D Mark H.
  16. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took that "ADV" stuff once woke up 1/2 up the Dempster with a Flat. Don't know how I got there total blackout. That stuff is bad news

LOL :freaky
  17. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    I met a man and a woman yesterday from the middle east. (Bahrain or some such place) They were riding north on their new F650 twins. Going to Calgary of all places. (but not Alaska:huh ) They spoke Touratech and McGreggor and yet had never been here. I gave them a map to Hyder and the URL for this place. (Curriously, the man's name is Andrew Jackson) Nice people. Hopefully they'll stop by.
    Never been on ADV? I can tell you I've been on there, but I didn't inhale.:beer
    Second referral in a week.
    We need business cards.
  18. Footprint

Oddometer:
    U don't have yours??????? Come on n00b!!!
  19. Rastus

Rastus World Traveler

Oddometer:
    I've did the trip twice. The road conditions change due to rain and wash outs. Oh yea don't forget to check the on going construction zones. We had to wait 4 hours at a bridge crossing as a culvert was was being put in.:huh It is a place few people visit. Quiet, lot's of Caribou if you are lucky enough to see the buggers!:clap
  20. ak2009

ak2009 n00b

Oddometer:
    I leave Friday with a couple guys. Looking forward to the GWN. Thanks for all the great info you guys provide. And entertainment too!

Who do I see to pick up the business cards when I get there?

Bob