Alaska 2009

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Niznack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dave58

dave58 Not if I see you first

Oddometer:
    Arrived home at 6AM this morning after 24 days on the road. What an amazing journey. RR to follow as soon as I sort all the pics and complete my journal.

Getting back into a cage is gonna feel weird...
  2. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I almost got my chance for the ride this year. It's my dream trip.
    My issue is I need to get fired or retire i've been working on both but to date not successful I hope it is a great trip!
  3. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    T minus 22 days!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    sorry i took so long to answer - just noticied this today

the best part was surviving the haul road with no problems and standing on the ice at the Arctic Ocean.
  5. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got mine down. I jipped myself outa week of vacation time due to a trip to Hawaii so I had to cut the trrip down to two weeks instead of three. So,,,, I had to cut it down from "Prudho Bay" to "Hyder" with a quick trip to the Northwest Territory but hey,,,, all fifty states rode in now plus a few more provinces and territories!:clap

Even the "abbreviated" trip was great. Can't wait to make it to Prudho Bay. Will have to wait a while though,,,, next up is Prince Edward Island and Labrador and I will have everything in Canada 'cept Nunavat and it looks like I will be getting noneofit at all.:evil
  6. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    I rode to Alaska in 2008. All I can say is...

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

It was the highlight of my riding career!!!!!

Ride Report
  7. Twistn'roads

Twistn'roads Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Gang,

I posted this in the Canadian Regional forum and I thought I'd post it here for those interested.

I'm presently on the final leg of my "Slightly Past Mid-Life Crisis Gold Rush Tour 2009". I'm laying over in Hinton, Alberta for one more night waiting for the weather to clear so that my last day in the mountains is sunny and memorable before I turn east for home. I've been dreaming about and planning this trip for the past 2 years. It's been a soul warming experience to say the least!

What an awesome adventure this has been. We truly live in a wonderful land. I've seen incredible sights, rode great roads, met many friendly people and have seen herds of wildlife. I will put together a ride report once I get home and let my experiences sink in a bit and filter through the thousands of photographs and hundreds of hours of video I have taken. High lites include the Dempster Highway to Inuvik (partially in the mud!), Denali Highway, Hatcher Pass, Banff/Jasper, TOW Highway, and on and on.

For any of you interested I put together a couple of web pages for my family and friends to keep track of my progress. I invite you to check them out>

http://www.panoramio.com/user/3171929

http://jasonjonas.org/spot/tripViewer.do?id=1444

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. TX RED

TX RED Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still going and love reading the post....counting down my dept.
  9. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hmmm... you have a rather unique way of backing in to your parking spot. :nod

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Looking forward to the RR. :thumb
  10. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Footprint you still counting down?

Should be on the Cassiar at about the same time going up, coming up through Banff, Cassiar, going to Dawson.
    BumbleBee ADV, Florida Tag, ADV decal on Alu-Topcase
  11. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Aye heading up on July 24th. Still working on the route.... currently up thru Glacier, Banff to Jasper, Prinice Geroge... from there who knows. PM sent
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming back south from Deadhorse on Friday, and from Wiseman to Fairbanks on Saturday, we met quite a few riders headed north. There were a few cruisers on Saturday, but the way they were packed my guess was that they were only going to the Circle. The weather up that far was ideal, with NO road maintenance ongoing in that area that day. The only spot that looked like it might give riders any problems was Beaver Slide, just a few miles south of the Circle. It had been graded pretty smooth, which meant the loose gravel was spread fairly evenly all across the width of the roadway.

After leaving Fairbanks and headed south on the Richardson toward home, I met a number of BMW's similarly loaded down, looking as though they were headed to the far north. Quite a few V-Stroms/Wee-Stroms on the Haul Road headed north as well. All-in-all, it looks like another busy summer on the Haul Road. But after two trips to Deadhorse in one week, it looks like I may not be wearing out the lasts set of TKC80's this summer - my KLR is sick. :(: Gonna have to put it into the shop and drop the engine to do a diagnosis. Guess if it had to though, the 'ol Zook could take me to Prudhoe Bay a 5th time. :wink:
  13. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got back to my home near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Charleston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">SC</st1:State></st1:place>, around 6 PM yesterday
    after 21 days and 10,788 miles. Took the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Alaska Hwy.</st1:address></st1:Street> going
    up. Camped at Coldfoot, went to Prudhoe the next day, taking
    five hours to get there. Refueled, ate lunch and then five hours
    back to Coldfoot. On the way home, took a detour down the
    Cassiar Hwy and through Jasper and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Banff</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Parks</st1:placeType></st1:place>.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Two surreal moments stand out. Passing by the Little Big
    Horn Battlefield in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Montana</st1:State></st1:place> around noon on June 25<SUP>th</SUP>, we passed
    hundreds of Native Americans, many on horseback headed for the
    memorial. It took me a few moments to figure out they were on their
    way to celebrate the 133<SUP>rd</SUP> anniversary of their great victory. The other
    was on the way back from Deadhorse to Coldfoot, about 70 miles out
    in the middle of nothingness, we passed a young woman, alone, dressed in
    gym shorts and a tank top, jogging alongside the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Haul Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, swatting
    mosquitoes as she ran.
    <o:p></o:p>

My ’07 RT may not be in the “Adventure” bike category (like the wrecked GSs
    we encountered) but since 95% of the trip was on paved roads, the comfortable
    ergos, with 50 mpg and a 7+ gallon fuel tank, made it a sensible choice.
    I started with a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s. They still look like they have a
    few thousand miles left on them. Switched to full synthetic just before leaving
    when I did the 6K service, and changed oil in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Fairbanks</st1:City></st1:place>. Oil consumption was nil.
    One of the low beam headlight bulbs burnt out. These crappy BMWs,
    what’s happened to their quality control?
    <o:p></o:p>

So, in conclusion, I would like to thank the people who made the trip possible –
    the employees of BMW Motorrad, the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">U.S.</st1:country-region></st1:place> and Canadian road construction
    crews and the workers in the petroleum industry. They did all the real work.
    I just sat there and watched the fantastic scenery change.
  14. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Clearly she needed to run faster.
    :rofl
    Brutal, just brutal....

That is pretty good right there. :deal

Seriously, great little re-cap. Did you take any photos along the way and if so, where might one find them?
  15. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently the photos still reside in my seven year-old, 4 mega-pixel
    point and shoot and consist mostly of me at the border, me at the
    Arctic Circle, me at Atigun Pass, etc. If you lurked on the trip reports
    forum for any length of time you've probably seen all those locations
    and much more taken with much better cameras. Still, when I get some
    time I'll post some of the more interesting shots. My sense of decency
    prevented me from taking any pictures of the girl or the wrecked GSs.
    My sense of self preservation prevented me from taking any pictures
    of the Indian warriors.
  16. Martog

Martog Soil Sampler

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in Dawson City where it's hot as hell. In fact, aside from fighting rain much of the way from Skagway to Whitehorse yesterday, the weather has been mostly hot & dry since I left Prince Rupert.

The only cooling relief has been the splat of the skeeters and other critters against my screen/shield/face! Sure are a suicidal bunch here...

I'm going to poke around DC a bit in the morning and then hit the TOTW ank Tok tomorrow. After that leg I'll make a decision of whether to head north or south.

I gotta say - I knew this trip would be incredible based upon all the great ride reports. But I'm still blown away by the experience!

-Martog

-
  17. !kl3ver1

!kl3ver1 dreamer

Oddometer:
    I got back to the bay area last Sunday. It was an amazing adventure for sure.

Made it to the Arctic Circle via the Dalton Hwy. which was short of what I had originally planned, but the day I enjoyed the most on the whole trip was the cold and rainy day on my way north from Dease Lake to Watson Lake, I would have never rode my motorbike in those conditions if it wasn't for this trip, mud all over the place and a true sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

good luck every one!
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got rained on rather badely in the same place and I was following a grader and water truck on that construction section on a FJR!:eek1

BTW,,,, how'ed ya like the "modded" Dease Lake sign? Dease Nuts!:rofl
  19. Foofighter

Foofighter Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer:
    I think this should technically go in the "Alaska 2010" thread but I didn't see one so I will just stick it in here for now.

I will start with the beginning of my story and then things will make a bit more sense...

It was May of this year and I decided I wanted a motorbike for the summer. I had never ridden before, I just remember riding on the back of my mom's motorbike when I was very young.

I took to the internet and read over and over again that a beginner should do three things:
    -NOT get a sport bike as their first ride.
    -NOT get a new bike as their first ride.
    -NOT get a 600cc bike as their first ride.

So of course being a cocky 19 year old kid in the army and with my whole summer ahead of me what did I buy? You guessed it a 2008 Suzuki GSXR600.

[​IMG]

However before picking up the new bike I decided it would be at least slightly smart to learn to ride on something a little less um... Fast.

So being compulsive as I am I went to the local Honda dealership and looked for a small easy to ride dirt bike that I could learn on before stepping onto the insanely fast Suzuki sport bike.

So of course THAT SAME DAY, i rode away from the dealership on a 2009 Honda CRF150F. Stalled it a few times learning where everything was and how it worked and then I was off to the trails to learn "how to ride" in the 2 weeks I had before I took delivery of my Suzuki.

Having seen it now, this part was similar to Charley Boorman training for the Dakar in under a year. Unrealistic and very rushed...

But I pushed on and got on that little 150 Honda every day after work and would ride until I couldn't see the trail I was on anymore.

[​IMG]

Until the day came when I received the Suzuki. Then after sitting on that thing I completely forgot the Honda. The speed was addicting and the bike could go faster in first gear than the Honda could at top speed. I was HOOKED.

I rode on that Suzuki every single day I could until the day of June 14th. Only 2 months after purchasing it.

I crashed! But of course you all saw that coming, a 19 year old kid, with a few weeks of dirt biking experience on a very slow dirt bike at that.

Either way, I was going around a corner and half way through I locked up my front brake and the front tire started bouncing making the bike shoot forward towards the curb. The front tire hit and then the bike threw me off and I face planted into a brick wall.

This is a picture of the corner I crashed on. I was in the right side of the inside lane turning left and you can see where I hit the wall (it's where the black SUV is).

[​IMG]

Upon hitting the wall head first my head was thankfully forced down towards my body and not up towards my back. Because of this I broke my collar bone and NOT my neck. However I also dislocated my big toe on my foot, broke 2 bones in my foot, fractured my Tibia and Fibula at the knee, tore my MCL, PCL, and Meniscus and tore my leg open to the bone from my knee half way down my shin.

This is a bad picture of me when I first got in the hospital with a bunch of tubes in me.

[​IMG]

And this is the state of my leg while I was in the hospital.

[​IMG]

All in all I went through 4 surgeries on my leg and foot before everything was taken care of. 2 removable pins were placed in my foot and a cast was put on the foot after. Then a Knee brace was put on the leg to stop the knee from bending.

However after only 10 days in the hospital I was let free! Since then I have been staying with my grandparents because of their single story house vs my room on Base which was up some stairs.

I have been healing fast and after only 5 weeks I am already on crutches and getting around a lot better.

One thing I want to add is the first thing I thought about in the hospital is when I would be able to ride again. Haha...

Now your wondering so why did this idiot post this in this Alaska 2009 thread?

Well while in the hospital I asked my brother to bring me something to watch because I was so bored. So he brought me a series I'm sure everyone on here has watched called "Long Way Round".

I had never seen it before, and after watching it I had been converted from jap sport rider to wanna-bee bmw adventure rider.

The one thing that I had always hated about my sport bike was that my back would try and break on me every time I sat on the bike for longer than an hour. So I could never go anywhere on the highway. Also I was starting to miss the raw fun of riding on dirt that I had experienced on my 150f.

So this thought of a dual-sport which I had always though was not a "proper" bike all of a sudden excited me more than any Japanese sport bike or pure dirt bike ever could.

So once I got out of the hospital and was recovering at my grandparents house, I typed "Adventure Riding" into google and it lead me straight here.

So then my next task was finding a bike that I could get that would fill all my needs and still look good doing it. No matter how I looked at it I was always lead right to the same bike over and over. The BMW F800GS.

So once I had picked my future adventure rider I had to pick my adventure. Being that I live in Canada I realized I had never been very far north. Then I though well I have never been to Alaska either. So why not ride north to see some of northern Canada and while doing that go west and see Alaska which seems to be the main destination of almost every North American Adventure Rider out there.

So I went to work planning my route and after some time on google maps I came up with this:

[​IMG]

It starts in my home town of Saskatoon, and then goes up through Saskatchewan into northern Alberta and then up into north eastern British Columbia. Then it meets up with the Alaskan Highway and goes right to Anchorage. Then I turn around and head back but instead of going through north eastern BC I go south through north western BC and head towards Prince Rupert. Then I take a ferry south to the most northern tip of Vancouver Island to a town called Port Hardy. Then I go along the east coast of Vancouver Island all the way to Victoria at which point I take another ferry to Vancouver. Then I head off north bound to Vanderhoof BC.

The reason for this unusual detour is to visit my mom, oh whom I have not seen in over a year! Then after a visit with her I depart bound east for the Jasper/Banff region. Then after some very nice camping in the mountains I keep heading east until I get back home to Saskatoon.

All together the tip is approx. 10,000km. And in my opinion goes through some of the most beautiful scenery Canada, and Alaska has to offer.

The points on the map are not representative of where I would actually be stopping but just points used to plot the whole route on the map.

My big plan is to make this trip sometime in the summer of 2010. I have been spending all my time, which is a lot when you can't walk... Preparing for this trip, planning the route, choosing a time line, planning places to stop and see, making a comprehensive gear list and so on.

I think that there are a number of factors that determine the success of a trip like this. They are:
    -Planning!
    -Rider skill
    -Weather
    -Time of year
    -Equipment
    -And of course luck...

My biggest challenge will be my rehab in the coming months. However I am a very driven person and when I set a goal for my self I will do anything to reach it! I feel I need to do this trip to prove to myself that I can still ride and that I am able to over come any thing that is thrown at me.

I will add updates as I go and post lots of picture as I am a huge picture whore!

Feel free to let me know what you think and tell me that I am crazy :ear

Thanks,
    Tyler

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADVn00b Foofighter!

Yep, just this year I heard that according to the insurance industry the average lifespan of a new gixxer is only 3mo! :huh

A bunch of ride reports are "stickied" at the top of the 'Alaska' forum if you're interested to help keep you entertained and motivated while you're laid up.

You may notice a lot of us here are ATGATT including armored pants and heavy duty dual sport boots.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt worse. Hope you heal up quickly and completely, Mark H.