Alaska 2009

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Niznack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Out for this year......

Time away from kids just did not seem right this year... :(:
  2. Foofighter

Foofighter Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome Mark. I am going to get both armored pants and jacket this time around. And since I dirt bike I still have my Alpinestar Tech 3's so I will use them until they wear out then get something by Sidi probably. I am unsure of what gloves to go with as of yet but I am sure some time in the equipment forum will sort me out.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  3. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I have 2 copies of the Milepost 2009... first 2 to PM me will get a copy.
  4. !kl3ver1

!kl3ver1 dreamer

Oddometer:
    The water trucks are a joy to follow... I can only imagine dealing with that on on an FJR, good job on that one. The day before DL we had to deal with a caravan of RVs, I counted about 25, each one towing a car.

For some reason I did not like Dease Lake that much, the kind of place where I don't want to hang out for too long :)

In regards to signs, did you catch the sign for "aged manure <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Creneg%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --></style>[FONT=&quot][/FONT]for sale"? This was somewhere between Hyder and DL. It induced all sorts of comparisons with wine and too many laughs.
  5. !kl3ver1

!kl3ver1 dreamer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Tech 3s which I had considered using for my trip but the weight and the lack of feel because of the stiffness of the boot made me look for something else. I found the Sidi Discovery and turned out to be an excellent choice for me. I should have treated them with Nikwax or other water repellent product before the trip thou.

Heal quickly
  6. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you missed out on the really wet stuff if you don't think knobbies would be of any help. I found the truly nasty wet stuff they had just watered down and I feel like the knobbies really made the difference. Maybe you are just a way better rider but when the construction crew is out there with the grader, gravel trucks and water trucks that stuff gets slick in a hurry.

Went up on July 4th, came down on July 5th. Passed Alcanrider along the way on the 4th, I think it was in the deep gravel. The last 50 miles or so had some pretty deep gravel, again it's my opinion the knobbies helped. But I may just be a lousy rider.

They were doing construction work both on Saturday and Sunday. Even with Saturday being the 4th. I don't think the construction guys take days off during their very short summer. They'd miss out on all that sunshine and bugs :rofl

I believe the road is really a crap shoot past cold foot. You might find it dry and a gravel super highway, or you might find it wet and slick as all get outs. I think slowing down and staying relaxed is probably the best. And once you do it one way, coming back seems a lot easier.

BTW: I know of a Harley Sportster that made it to the Artic Circle and back to Fairbanks without any problems. He agreed with my assessment that that part of the road really is pretty nice for any bike.
  7. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it back home yesterday.

36 days on the road, 13,193 miles on the GPS.

I completed my Ultimate Coast to Coast on the way up, just need to send it in for certification.

Bought a new bike (Spyder) in Fairbanks, Alaska, no sales tax :clap

Experienced the joys of shipping a GS home in a crate because of a transmission problem. :2cry

Got Hyder-ized :freaky

Walked on a glacier near Banf

Drank lots of Crown.

Met lots of people along the way.

This wasn't a once in a lifetime trip, it was only the scouting trip for my return visit. Next time I'm going to allow more time in Alaska to explore the state, it's huge. I guess I would have gotten to see more if I hadn't sat around Fairbanks for 3 days dealing with the transmission. The university of Alaska, Fairbanks is a great place to stay for a great price. But they don't have A/C so it gets a little warm, friendly folks though.

I won't be back in 2010 but I'm going back to Alaska, for sure. It might just become a once every 5 years thing or such.

Save up the money,
    save up the time,
    DO IT!
  8. Foofighter

Oddometer:
    Awesome good to know. I will probably just see how they work for the start before the trip. If by then they still don't have very good feel I will upgrade to something like the crossfire...

Thanks!
  9. kingklr

kingklr kingklr

Oddometer:
    I just made it back from Alaska yesterday in my trusty 09 versys 650. 11K miles in 15 days, 4 days of rain, 1 disintegrated rear tire, and one hell of a ride. I was undecided between my klr650 or my versys but the versys was the way to go. The bike is extremely comfortable and very fast. It can carry as much stuff as the KLR and is very reliable. The only drawback is that the rear tire only lasted me 3,500 miles so I had to change it twice, but besides that everything went well. I pulled a couple of long days, 1000 miles the first day, 1100 miles in less than 36 hours when going to fairbanks to dead horse, and 1500 miles in less than 36 hours from Alberta in Canada to Wisconsin. Bike was very comfortable. If I could I would add pictures.
  10. bwlinux

bwlinux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Yep, that long way round video can get a person to dreaming alright.

You are 19 years old and hopefully already learned a valuable lesson,,, you aren't bullet proof. Trust me, those broken bones heal a lot slower the older you get.

It looks like you've got a great adventure planned, but you've forgotten 1 key element. Education. As you learned riding on a little dirt bike didn't translate well to the power of a GSX-R on the street. And you've probably learned that applying your front brake in the middle of a corner is a BAD idea. Sure there are racing techniques for that but those don't work well for new riders. In fact they don't work well for experienced riders when done incorrectly on the street either.

A quick search of google revealed a site www.ridertraining.org. It appears they have a program similar to the MSF classes down in the US. Sure you know how to use the clutch but I'll bet you can learn something new about breaking, cornering, etc... Just go into the class with an open mind to see what new piece of info you can find.

Good luck on you preparations and your adventure. Remember, all your planning is just a preliminary guide. Once you get on the road, it may change your schedule, go with it!
  11. Foofighter

Oddometer:
    Yes I am going to take a Bike Safety course once I am better. As well do a lot of off road practice on the BMW once I get it. I think if I am careful and don't try to rush anything like I did before I should be fine.
  12. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    After leaving Sarasota, FL on the 17th July, made it to Dawson (5200miles)
    yesterday. Weather up here very warm, no rain since Hyder, very dusty.
    Leaving for Anchorage today to change to knobbies for the Dalton.

Best ride so far was the Cassiar with a detour to Hyder. Just an incredible
    40mile ride to Stewart, Hyder. Saw several Black Bears on the Cassiar and
    Griz in Hyder. Hyder is a must in my opinion just awesome, incredible
    landscape, Sealaska Inn was $36.-. The Griz are hanging around there
    fishing salmon, got some closeup shots with my SLR will try to post. Compared to Cassiar the way up to Whitehorse and Dawsonis is rather unspectacular. Lots of road work on the Klondyke Hwy. Dawson is pretty quite right now. If you are tenting you should stay at the Robson Service
    Tent only campground in Whitehorse (at Yukon river). Awesome place, great atmosphere, Internet many people to talk to, no RVs!!

Larry on the 1200GS from Venice, if you read this, will be in Anchorage on Wednesday, at least two days. Lost my ABS rear sensor ring and need to repair.
  13. motodavid2000

motodavid2000 MotoDavid

Oddometer:
    I was on a red GS/A and you were disassembling your BMW and transferring GPS and other equip to the Spyder in the parking lot. It was blazing hot that day.

Glad you made it back OK and had fun, with the exception of the trans problem.
  14. nokkusan

nokkusan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Planning for the Arctic Circle next summer (2010). This is a wealth of info! Keep it coming and have fun!:clap
  15. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Man, I hear that.
    It's a definite struggle and I'm cashing in some serious good will chits with this thing. My plan is to have idea wife showing the boys the trip thread every day. Involve them somehow.
    Also, I drove my kids up there two years ago so at least they have a frame of reference so it won't be exactly like driving off the edge of the earth (at least not exactly). They've been there and done that already.:D
    It was a great trip with them. I'd recommend it. They want to go back.
  16. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    It's on for me! My 18 day vacation was just approved for September 6-24th. Let the planning begin. High on the list are Denali NP and the Arctic Circle photo op. Dunno about Prudhoe at this time of the year, but I'll be watching the weather. The GS is pre-prepped and all the maintenance stuff is safe in the garage for service two weeks prior to departure. New tires, brakes and fresh fluids all around. Good camping gear, Gerbings and a full cooking kit. Oooooh, 3 years in the waiting and it's almost go time. :clap
  17. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prudhoe is a definite maybe that time of year. Last year I could have made it to Deadhorse on September 15th, but on the 22nd there was a blizzard at the top, and going down the north side would have been suicidal.
    [​IMG]

Complete report here: Fall to Winter
  18. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Well the good news is that you'll miss the rainy season, most of the bugs will be dead or eaten, and the fires should be out. :thumb Tourist traffic should be down by then as well I would think.:D
  19. Hawker97

Hawker97 HexHead

Oddometer:
    If you ride the Dempster, the 1st 186 km can be difficult/impassible in heavy rain as there are areas of clay for the road base. North of Eagle Plains, the riding is consistent until the Northwest Territories Border. From the border northward, slow down...lots of loose gravel and road construction. Give way to the road graders.. if you try to play chicken, you'll lose!:eek1

It's an easy 2 day ride from Dawson CIty to Inuvik.:clap
  20. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone headed down the highway Anchorage to Idaho in early september via Jasper?? about 380 to 400 miles a day camping out ??