Alaska 2009

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Niznack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 12bnkd

12bnkd UP for any Adventure

Oddometer:
    this is my Active report as I get wifi sites www.ride.smugmug.com wish I could figure out how to link it is to this site but just have not been able
  2. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Made it back home to Sarasota, Florida after riding up to Prudhoe Bay with some detours :evil Started on July 17th returned on August 23rd.
    I spent 5 weeks on the road and clocked total mileage of 13,605 (not counting the Alaska Marine Highway part) on my 2002, 1150 GS ADV.
    No major issues, just a couple of tires :eek1 (thank you Barb), oil change and some minor fixes. I busted my rear ABS disc but this was my own fault (I forget to tighten one of the FD bolts after checking the bearing before my trip). Good thing the ADV has the switch to turn off ABS.
    I will try to post my trip report when I am over the shock to be back in the lower 48s.

Alaska is an incredible state, the people alone are
    worth visiting.

I have to do the Dalton again (and again), the scenery is incredible. Thank you Alcan Rider for all the information you posted on the Dalton. I took the recommended "Smelling of the Roses" 3.5 day way up and down and it is the way to go and enjoy.

I changed my view of the oil field operation after doing the tour in Prudhoe. What an operation!

Thank you AKDuc for taking me "in" and avoiding the rain!

Detours included Valdez, Haines, Kennicott, Seward, Whittier, Dawson, Fairbanks and Chicken.

Saw tons of wildlife, Grizs, Eagles, Caribou, Foxes, Moose Two times I almost hit Blackbears crossing leisurely the road.
    I was never so close to a wild bear! So be careful out there.
    But the most dangerous animal out there are rented RVs, they always try to kill you.

The Cassiar is the way to go! Don't miss the Icefield Parkway in B.C. and Hyder of course.

Alaska Marine Highway is a great way to travel, they have specials if you go to and from Prince Rupert! Bellingham is always solidly booked.

Took 3000+ photos.

The GS and TKC80s are made for each other! The Dalton
    is in much better shape than the McCarthy Road or Top of the World Highway.

I am sceptical about cruise ships unloading tons of people into towns like Haines, Seward.

You meet the coolest people up north, this is alone worth of coming.

Forget the Alps, they fit 15 times into the Alaskan mountains (yes, there are more roads in the Alps but
    they feel like "manicured" compared to the wilderness).

Tented 2/3 and the rest motels, B&B.
    Got drunk in Haines, they rang this bell in the bar several times and the shots kept coming :freaky Nice people these Alaskans....

Don't mess with the truckers on the Dalton, don't speed above 65 and pass a truck, they get pissed about stones. I overheard a discussion with some riders trying to get back fast.

Was fortunate and had only 4 days of rain in Alaska but wildfires limited the view as far up as Prudhoe.

I will be back, this was just the beginning :lol3
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hey TPD! :wave

Glad you had a good trip and made it back home safely.

Had fun hangin with you and so did my my buddy Dennis who we went and listened to perform. He said he'd like to stay in touch: http://dennislind.com/

Take care and see you again someday, Mark H.
  4. GSA Ghost

GSA Ghost LOST

Oddometer:
    Loved it all from top to bottom, an unforgettable experience to say the least....

[​IMG]
  5. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    GSA Ghost,
    looked like the wildfires were still raging. What dates
    were you going up? These pictures are from the Atigun on
    Aug 3rd, 4th.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. GSA Ghost

GSA Ghost LOST

Oddometer:

Precisely those days, we were up there Aug 5th & 6th we met you a couple of times heading South, once in TOK or the Junction and last time my buddy and I saw you was when we were waiting to take the Ferry to Skagway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay in touch..
  7. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yes of course, did not recognize your bike
    immediately, shame on me because it is one of a kind :cry
    Here you go, took this at the terminal in Haines, can
    send a HiRes if necessary.

[​IMG]
  8. cinghiale

cinghiale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to decide the right bike I have taken several trips on my KLR then moved up to the BMW 800 gs. Other than the small fuel tank it has turned out to be the perfect machine and will be on the road to Alaska from Washington state in 2010. I have the gang all pumped up for the ride and should be a sweet time. Thanks for all the information and tid bits.