Alaska 2011?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by woodly1069, Jul 14, 2010.

1. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about heading up to Deadhorse some time next summer from the Midwest? Anyone interested? In the interest of saving time, I may haul the bike to someplace in the north west then saddle up. Should have 4 weeks travel time total!:freaky
  2. goatman64

goatman64 Rider

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking the same thing... what timeframe?
  3. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming from MN. Details?
  4. suwee

suwee Alledged Rookie

Oddometer:
    My current plan is to leave AR the first weekend in June. All the way up to the "Ice Water" and back on the bike. Six weeks allotted for the trip with around a week for Denali, Anchorage, Kenai and Valdez.
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well to me the timing is not as important as the fact that I will only have four weeks so I guess any time from the beginning of June through the end of August would be fine. I just wonder about melting snow early in June, maybe streams would be a problem? I don't know for sure. Any advice is wecome as I'm open to suggestions!
  6. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Mid July to mid August and I could be in. Leaving from Indiana for the full ride there and back would be the deal.:wink:
  7. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    As far as trailering the bike, how much time does that really buy you? For a touring bike I don't think it really does alot. Smaller bikes, it might.

I did three weeks from the Milwaukee area, wasn't bad. Of course I wish I had another 3-4 days.
  8. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's just the thing, I HATE riding the slab and only having the KLR I just thought it might be easier. Yesterday I rode 5 hours of back roads for a two hour trip!
    Anyway, if I had a big FJR or something I would love to leave the truck at home but I just don't think I have the patience to cross the country on my bike at 70MPH and eat up a week of vacation doing it. I would rather arrive rather "fresh" and enjoy the bike portion of the trip!
  9. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Spook120, are you in MN? Thinking about heading out the same time? How about you gaotman64, where are you? I wish I had the 6 weeks suwee has but it's not in the cards for me. I would love to spend some time around Denali but I think that's too aggressive for my schedule. Everything I read says I will need 4 weeks just to get my foot in the Beaufort Sea and get back home again. Can someone tell me different from experience?
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well... I've been from Alaska down to the Twin Cities in three days, but I kinda hurried. A rider from Chicago did the round trip in 16 days just a while ago, although he flew his bike to Seattle for the start to save some time. So four weeks, even if you were riding the KLR all the way, would give you time enough to do the Haul Road and see some sights around the state and along the route. It doesn't matter if you have six or eight weeks, nobody sees all they want to in one visit. The first one just whets your appetite for more, but at least it gives you a better idea of what there is to see and do, and how long it takes.

Regarding riding this way in the spring, late May/early June are actually a pretty good time as quite often that is some of the best weather. This spring we had some of the hottest weather of the year around the end of May. It was hot on the Haul Road - except for the last few miles into Deadhorse, where it is always cooler, thanks to the winds coming off the Arctic Ocean.
  11. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for the info. I will definitely weigh those thoughts into my final decisions. I would rather ride the whole way but it's just the interest of time.
  12. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Chalk up another couple of riders for next summer. I'll be leaving straight from the Bennington Triumph Bash on June 5 with one or two others; our plan is to slab it out to Montana in three or four days, then spend three weeks riding up to Alaska and back down to Edmonton, and then another three or four days slabbing it back home to northern Vermont.

Those slab days will be tedious, but they'll be worth it to clear up some extra time for the Cassiar, the Alcan, the Dalton, etc. And on the way back, we'll be cutting across Canada, which should be at least marginally more interesting than taking an interstate highway across the US. Maybe. Hopefully.

--mark
  13. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT! Where is the rally you will be attending? The more the merrier!:clap
    I'm excited to meet folks "on the trail"!
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Bennington, VT; click the link at the bottom of my sig for more info.

I've got a feeling there will be no shortage of those. :D

--mark
  15. migrator

migrator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Alaska next year also. Leaving out of Atlanta late May. Just not sure on how long right now. Thinking five weeks.
  16. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you riding the entire length?
  17. migrator

migrator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the plan. I have a ST4 now and it does the slab work very good, just not to sure on the gravel roads. (I'll be testing that out this summer)

I've been looking at the Multistrada or maybe a GS also.
  18. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on coming thru Louisville maybe we could ride part of it together. Let me know:freaky
  19. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    If your leaving Louisville you'll come through Indiana.
    Lets' make this train work :ricky
  20. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine with me! Where are you exactly? I tend to think later in the season works better for me anyway. Now I'm getting excited!