Alaska 2011?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by woodly1069, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    I'm in southern Indiana. 45 miles south of Indianapolis.
  2. junedog

junedog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If there is room for one more I woul'd love to go. Are you planning on camping or staying in motels? I am retired, 57 years old, live in Knoxville, Tn., and ride a Suzuki V-Strom 1000.
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'm a camper. I have all my gear and like to travel the roads less traveled then stop and camp wherever I end up. Definitely not a slab rider. But hey that's me.:ear
  4. FJR_ski

FJR_ski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from Chicago to Alaska, but I had the bike shipped to Seattle ($550). It took me 3 days to get to Tok from Seattle. I was in Alaska for 9.5 days and then it look me 4.5 days to get from Tok to Chicago. On my last two days, I did 1600 miles on 3 hours of sleep.
    It was an amazing trip. I wish I had a HD video camera on my helmet.

My only worry now is what next trip will be better then Alaska.
    Alaska highway is amazing. And I did visit Jasper National Park on the way home. ohh, that part is beautiful. MUST SEE!!

Here are pictures from my trip.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/peterkuchnia/MotorcycleJourneyToAlaska#slideshow

Alaska is must see!!!
    One day I will visit it again.

I camped all nights, but one. As I arrived in Tok, I got a hotel. REI.com loves me, I purchased all my gear from them.
  5. junedog

junedog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a camper and also like the roads less traveled. Looking forward to Alaska 2011.
  6. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I would plan to camp but do we need to think about making some reservations for our time in Alaska? What about the BEARS!?:confused The more the merrier! I guess we should set some sort of dates?:clap
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the most part don't bother with reservations, they tie you down too much. Unless you have been here several times already, and know your travel plans by heart, you are better off to play it by ear as you go. As you ride, your schedule will be affected by weather, the longer daylight hours, sights along the way, etc. Generally, making a reservation just a day or two before you get to an area will guarantee you a spot, and most of the time no reservations are needed.

Re: BEARS :uhoh We get that question several times every year from prospective visitors. If you are lucky, you might get to see a bear and get some photos before it runs off. Most folks don't even see one in their travels. But a lot depends on how early you head north. In a ride south in late May several years ago I quit counting at 50 black bears before I even got to the southern end of the Alcan at Dawson Creek. Saw a few more on my way north a couple of weeks later, including a couple of grizzlies and an almost-impossible-to-find Kermode (an all-white black bear). Unless you are camping close to cities or towns where bears have become habituated to humans, they will generally turn tail and run as soon as they scent you. A friend and I were talking a few days ago about the difficulty in getting a shot at one when hunting them. He told of a beautiful silvertip grizz that his son was stalking. As soon as the bear got their scent he was gone like a shot. What you need to be concerned about are moose. Much more likely to be dangerous, as related in this thread: Paulie vs Moose This happened on the Elliott Hwy north of Fairbanks after Paulie had gotten off the Dalton Hwy and had nearly finished his Alaska tour.
  8. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info, THANKS!
  9. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Trailering makes sense if you can load 3 or 4 bikes and drive round the clock in shifts.
    Saves tires & oil changes on the bikes.
    Just decide where to start riding and start a thread asking a local Inmate for safe place to leave trailer rig. Can always rent a Storage Unit to park in.
    May actually be safer especially going home at end of trip when you are tired.
    I have gone twice to AK in June. 1st 07 trip (6/18 to 7/16) no heavy rain till July 5th on way home from Valdez.
    On recent trip to D2D in Dawson,YT (6/17 to 7/3) it rained off and on the whole trip.
    Take good rain gear and just keep going.
    Knobbies highly recommended for offroad exploration. You can buy (expensive) or ship tires and switch in Whitehorse where there is a Harley, Honda and Yamaha dealer (Honda dealer did our BMW's).
    Plenty of place to stay/camp, I only make reservations when going up the Dalton or Dempster or tourist places like Hyder or Skagway etc.
    Enjoy the planning, its half the fun.
    Read all the threads and make list of places you must see and connect the dots.
    Ride Safe
  10. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering doing it from Memphis next summer. Not yet sure on the dates, as I'm in school. I'm planning on hitting everything north of Cali/Colorado, Kansas, MO from Minnesota westard, to have ridden through all 49 states on this bike.
  11. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    From most information I believe late June to late August would be the better time frame. It should be the best (if possible) weather and personally fits my schedule better :norton Currently the weather is in the mid 60's daytime and mid to upper 40's way up nort :D and should hopefully improve over the next few weeks.

I agree trailering does save wear and tear on gear, motorcycle and your body but the trip is what I like, not necessarily the destination. I prefer to ride all the way and if time does not allow I'll return from wherever we are to make it home in time. As noted, making reservations ties you into a schedule and makes you travel pre-planned routes with little room for different routes, sightseeing or exploration. If a room is needed I'm sure one can be had with little fuss.
    All that being said I am open to majority vote on time frame, transportation or pre-planned arrangements. I just wanna GO!
  12. junedog

junedog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Concerning the leaving and returning time, I can go and return at most any time. The month and date the majority wants to leave I can most likely do, my schedule is flexible. Thanks, Hal
  13. AK_ADV

AK_ADV F800GS

Oddometer:
    Ill probably be heading up from Pensacola, FL spring 2011. Not sure about route yet but I'm from Anchorage and have driven through Canada multiple times. Ill be looking to see if anyone wants to meet up and head up when I get closer to knowing when ill be heading back. Ive been wanting to do the TAT but would like to do it with someone with experience on it. If I cant find anyone for that ill head back on the highways. If im on the highways I don't mind being by myself but having company would be nice.
  14. suwee

suwee Alledged Rookie

Oddometer:
    My departure date has changed a bit due to work schedule and a couple other things. I will heave ho on June 9th. I'm having a ball doing the planning, I hope the trip is at least as much fun.
  15. jjolly3

jjolly3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering the trip in late June of next year. I wouid plan on riding from southern California. I can make it to Vancouver BC in about 2 days ride. I understand that there is a good alaska travel guide at the milepost.com that has very good information on the roads in Alaska.
  16. rallen

rallen "Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer:
    Not certain yet, but I may be doing the Alaska trip next summer as well.
    I live in Montana, so I will probably shoot North from here, and would probably keep it under three weeks. I will keep an eye on this thread, and if possible, maybe link up or travel with fellow inmate.

I am hoping for another Montana 1000, but Alaska is a strong possibility-
  17. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Hello, hello,,,this thing on? Hey junedog still thinking a late July early August trip. I'm sure this thread will heat up more this winter or as spring gets here but wanna know if your still in. Any specific questions or details PM me. I'm chomping at the bit already. Thanks
  18. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still in although I have not nailed down any dates yet. From the sounds of things here I should have no trouble finding a room along the way and lots of others along the road! CAN'T WAIT!:freaky
  19. junedog

junedog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still in and going to get my passport this weekend. The bike is mostly ready but will install new chain, sprokets and tires this winter. Wow, can hardly wait.
  20. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Wow I forgot about the passport thing. Thanks for the reminder. Too used to traveling when and wherever, like the old days. I have new chain, sprockets, tires, oil and filter along with a new Phoenix fairing from Brtinnacomposits ready to install. The prep is as much fun as the trip or just a reason to buy new stuff :rofl :rofl The exact date isn't really too important as long as I can nail it down by January. I have a teaching schedule I have to put together in January and knowing a date will help me schedule classes around my, uh hmmm, absence. Classes are over mid October and I plan on a ride south. Maybe we can get together and meet.