Alaska 2011?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by woodly1069, Jul 14, 2010.

1. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of an Alaska trip when I get back from Iraq next year. I should get home mid July, so I'm thinking an August trip. Starting from Pensacola. :clap
  2. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Welcome Home (next year) and Thank You for your service. Be great if you could join in. As noted, the more the merrier! Your time frame fits in with most. Keep tabs on this link throughout the winter and get to planning :deal .
    Be Safe
  3. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll try to keep track of it as the plans build. I don't actually deploy till January (180 day trip). I think I'll be able to check the board from over there, I guess it just depends on how much I'm flying.

Hope it works out!
  4. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on how your doing. Be Safe:freaky
  5. intime2ride

intime2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello every one,

I have been thinking about doing a similar trip next summer as well. I will be coming from Southern California. I will keep an eye on this thread. It would be fun to join the group for the adventure.
  6. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, looks like I had to pick a date because things are beginning to fill up with the work schedule and the Mrs. has a BIG birthday this next July! Looks like I'm leaving Louisville, KY on the afternoon of June 3rd on the trusty old KLR and will be plenty happy to just go which ever route takes me to the north slope! Seems like how ever I travel it will be just short of 10,000 miles & I'm chompin' at the bit! The only places I want to see on the way are Jasper and Banff so if anyone wants to tag along or create some sort of convoy then let's make it happen! I have plenty of room for a truck or two at my place if someone is coming through Louisville on their way north and wants to save some wear and tear on their bikes! Anyone would be welcome to stay with us for a day or two while we make final "adjustments" for the big ride out on Friday evening! I CAN'T WAIT! Now that I have a date I can't think of much else! This has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember! Thanks for everyone's input and support; if we don't get to ride together then I hope to at least see you on the road!
  7. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Wow, sorry but the first of June isn't doable for me. Late July into early August is my window. Being in Indy I sure would have liked to ride with you but just won't work.:cry
  8. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Don't say later you weren't told; Alaska travel is very addictive. And, to this day, there is no cure...

I went this year on my 3rd trip. Enjoy, it is a blast... :ricky
  9. toolhorder

toolhorder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm........An Alaska trip has been nagging at me lately. I was going to do sort of a "moth flight path" trip and just go wherever I felt like going from day to day for the summer or possibly the TAT. I'm in NW Illinois. If you have plans to head this way I'm free for the entire summer. I'm free to roam after June 1, need to be in northern Idaho on Aug. 1 and back home around Aug. 20. KLR rider, looking to camp for a majority of any trip but a hotel every once in a while is a nice change of pace.

As the summer approaches let's stay in touch....never know.
  10. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    thinking we should leave for our Alaska trip end of June instead of July 4...hmmmmmmmmmmm
  11. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    I intend to leave from central Orygun on July 6, cross into Canada at Osoyoos, wander over to the Cassiar, hit Hyder, etc, etc. Would like to visit McCarthy/Kennicott, but after that anything goes.

Not especially interested in Anchorage (I lived in Spenard for a while), but a run up to the Arctic Circle is looking likely. See you out there!
  12. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motoboss, sorry to hear that we will not be going together but I'm sure we'll both have a great trip! Toolhoarder, looks like we may be in the ballpark and I am headed your way so maybe we can cross paths! Let's all stay in touch!
  13. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    After much consideration I'm not dead yet. If I can rearrange the schedule a bit it may work out. Right now it's a wait and see for me. If you are definite on June 3rd I will try to get that date worked out. When do you have to be back?
  14. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, but I sure don't want to screw up your plans! If it works out then that's great! I am off work from June 6th until the 5th of July. I was leaving after work on June 3rd I was going to plan on being back some time on July 3rd to spend the holiday with my family. But if something was to happen, like a breakdown or who knows what, that might mess up the travel plans and at least I would have a few more days to get home. What do you think?
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woodly
    I am going to Alaska on June 1 so will see you on the road. I am leaving from Calgary so will be a little ahead of you, doing the Dempster first and then into Alaska.
  16. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Cal, can't wait to see you on the road! How long will you be in Alaska?
  17. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Sounds OK with me. As I said my schedule depends on work but fortunately I make the schedule :D I won't be 100% sure until around February but for now I will plan the trip for riding together.
  18. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MotoBoss, sounds EXCELLENT! Let's stay in touch and make this thing work!:clap
  19. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Will Do !
  20. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    :lurk Giving it some thought. Bring your longies - Beartooths at the end of May:

[​IMG]