Alaska 2011?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by woodly1069, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    While early June is often the best time for riding the Haul Road/Dalton Highway, a little later provides better sightseeing due to vegetation having time to flourish under the northern sun. Things can look pretty gray and gloomy until trees are in full foliage. This happens by early June at lower elevations, but takes a few weeks longer in the passes.

While I have run into snow at Summit on the Alcan in late June, I have also had no trouble riding south in early April - although riding at 15 below F was a mite uncomfortable. :vardy On a ride back north in '03 the only snow I hit was going over Steamboat on May 16th. This was Muncho Lake on May 16, 2003 -
    [​IMG]
    Snow falling on the far hills, but none made it to the highway.

Lakes up north thaw out a little later than down south. Here's Kluane Lake almost ice-free on June 8th, 2002 -
    [​IMG]

Muncho Lake again on May 10, 2002 (Yes, that's solid ice) -
    [​IMG]

But once north of the Rockies it can also be quite warm around Whitehorse and on up through the Tanana River valley to Fairbanks. It's best to be prepared for a wide variety of weather, any time of year.
  2. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll still be in Iraq in June. Hopefully I'll be back by mid-July and will be on the road to AK in August. If anyone is shooting for that timeframe, keep me in the loop!
  3. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! Thanks for the photos, just makes me want to go earlier. I love the cold but would not like to ride thru it as musch as some of the photos you included! :freaky
  4. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are so right!! I told my wife my 08 trip was a "once in a lifetime". Well, I was wrong.:D:D

[​IMG]

I will leave Southern Wisconsin on June 17th. Solo. On a Versys. For 4 weeks. If you see this bike on the road say hi.

[​IMG]
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do, hope to see you out there! Travel safe!
  6. Billy_b57

Billy_b57 DARTH

Oddometer:
    Woody if Banff IMO is a big tourist trap like N.Y.City . If it were me I'd go to Waterton , you won't be disappointed. I have ridden B.C 3 times and banff after 1st time was removed from future plans. Waterton is a one street town , low level of tourists and wildlife everywhere . Camping at Crandall C.G just outside of town awesome . Elk,bear,deer , eagles , I've seen it all in Waterton. see my blog and archived rides for some photo's of B.C.
    My S.O. are off to AK 06/15/11 and going for D2D and beyond.

http://bmerman.blogspot.com/
  7. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up, it's just a place that my mom told me I should see some day that's all. I think it was more about the setting than the town itself, and it was quite a few years ago that she passed thru so I'm sure things have changed...
  8. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    you don't have to stay in Banff but worth a ride through. We love it there but as for being touristy and busy for sure in the summer. But head out of the town to camp and you will save a lot of money. Same if you head to Jasper. Go see it but stay elsewhere. :wink:
  9. toolhorder

toolhorder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After some conversations with a buddy, I'm out for an Alaska trip in 2011. I'll be doing the TAT from Arkansas to the left coast in 2011. Alaska, for me anyway, won't happen until 2012. Enjoy your trip and if you do head this way look me up. Galena Illinois has some decent food, I've got a couch you could crash on, a garage and some tools.....if I haven't left yet.
  10. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    There are about 4-5 of us from the Oilhead Boxer forum currently planning a '11 trip.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639721

The thread posted above has plenty of great tips/advice from kind folks who have chimed in who have made the trip themselves.

I'm personally planning on a mid-July departure time frame (from Southern California), but my trip is dependent on if I get laid-off in July, and so far, the indicators are saying yes. If not, I will need to welcome the additional work and postpone the trip for a later time in life ('12???).
  11. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    July 1 departure from South Florida here. Running a diagonal across the country towards Fargo ND and up to Canada from there. Traversing the route west in Canada vs the US. Banff, Jasper, Cassier Highway on the way up to Deadhorse. Denali, TOW Highway and Glacier NP on the way back down...
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    maybe we will see you up there...think we are going to do the Cassiar or at least part of it on our way home...
  13. captdirt

captdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Three of us are planninig on leaving Central Calif around July 5, with a little different plan at this point. A Uly, F800GS and my Tiger 1050.

The plan so far is to truck the bikes to the border, about 1000 miles. Take two days as we are going to stop and see a friend in Oregon. Dump the truck in Washington and ride to Prince Rupert and catch the ferry to Haines. From Haines we have a basic figure 8 that will take in most of the stuff we want to see along with Homer and Valdez. About 3500 miles without side trips. Ferry back from Haines to Prince Rupert and ride back to Washinton and drive home. Total of about 5500 miles on the bike. Hopefully get by with one set of tires.

Total time 3-4 weeks.

Riding the ferry round trip from same ports and the riders are free and you can sleep on the boat for free.

Haven't decided on Prudhoe yet, we'll see how we feel when we get to Fairbanks.

Can't wait. :thumb (also posted in other Oilhead thread)
    <!-- / message -->
  14. Howie82

Howie82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too will be heading back up for my second trip in 3 years. I plan to leave July 1st from Vernon, BC. In 2009, I had 2 weeks of perfect weather. However, it could be a completely different experience if the weather is bad. (But that's what "Adventure" riding is all about!)
    As Alcan mentioned, reservations are not nessessary for everywhere. I went to great effort to reserve all my stops only to find out that there were lots of available camping spots. I did reserve at the King Edward Hotel in Stewart since "soft sided" camping wasn't recommended. My reason for returning is to see a few places I missed. I tried to make it up to the Salmon Glacier out of Hyder but the road was JUST graded with what appeared to be sharp shards of rocks. I didn't have a spare tire so I turned back only to find out later that the grading stopped a few miles on from where I turned around! I also plan to take the side trip into Telepraph Creek. And to finish off, head up to Dawson Creek and make my way back via Chicken and Tok. I'll probably come back via the Cassier.

I noticed that some of you might be trailering up so if you need a place to drop you're always welcome. I'm located in the interior of British Columbia so it's quite handy to set off up north from here.
    If the time frame is good and since I'm travelling solo, I'd love some company.
    Howie
  15. flaldrider

flaldrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to make the trek to Alaska and the North Slope, leaving from North Florida at the beginning of June (the first or second week) 2011.

I plan to make an Iron Butt Ultimate Coast to Coast ride on the way up, taking the most direct route (allowing for weather adjustments) and then sight-seeing on the way back. Plan about 4 to 6 weeks total. Going to take my '02 Vstrom and do a mix of camping and motels.

Any takers?

Mike
  16. Bobby30223

Bobby30223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is within the time frame I have began planning. I'm north of you in GA. and was looking at the UCC too.

Bobby
  17. oldbiker767

oldbiker767 The Rides the Reason

Oddometer:
    I am planning an Alaska ride from the Buffalo, NY area for the summer of 2011. Fortunately (or unfortunately because it means I'm old) I'm retired and have a 6 week "kitchen pass". My 25 year riding buddy has retired from long trips so I am looking to hook up with someone for this gig. I am allergic to slabs for the most part and 400 mile days are about my limit. I want to do the Haul Road if it is not a sea of mud.
    I am fairly open about the months but was planning mid July/Aug. time frame. Maybe this will spark someones interest out there in Adventure land. If so I would be happy to meet up along the way and spend some time "preflighting" the trip for the next 5 months.
  18. intime2ride

intime2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im planning to leave southern California on July 1st 2011 bound for Prudo Bay. I am planning to do the coast up into Oregon. Work my way in land and into Canada to pick up the Alaska Highway at mile 0. From there into Alaska and ultimately the Haul Road.

My plans are one way because I only have 16 days. I dont mind the slab but would like to see the back roads and wilderness and enjoy the experiance along the way. Im rolling solo at the moment but would sure enjoy fellow riders and good people at any point along the way.

Good luck to everyone makeing the jurney. I look forward to our paths crossing.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    will keep an eye out for your KTM....:clap we leave July 4th from the Vancouver area of BC
  20. Damiano

Damiano damianomigani

Oddometer:
    just relocated to London UK from SouthCal
    this is the planned route, I'm looking for a riding buddy as well.
    I know April it's kinda early in the riding season, but it has been done before and unfortunately it's the only time I can go..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15012022

let me know if anyone is interested!
    Damiano