Alaska 2011?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by woodly1069, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bike&run

bike&run Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am planning an Alaska trip in late summer. I live in the midwest (Indy area) and was planning on shipping the bike somewhere and riding the rest of the way. Has anyone considered shipping to Anchorage and riding back? What would be the pros/cons? Either way I'm planning a route that would pass through (in no particular order) badlands, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, Cassiar hwy, anchorage, Denali, Deadhorse (if i can snag a riding buddy for the dalton), Kenai peninsula and Haines/Skagway. You know, if that sounds like fun to anyone else :wink:
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you stay on campus (See the link in my signature block) there is a good chance you can link up with riding partners who are headed up the Dalton. We had as many as 30 riders at a time staying on campus last year and many were solo riders. It is also good way to get info from those just returning from the Deadhorse trip.
  3. intime2ride

intime2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks AKBeemer. This is great information. I will check it out for July. It would be great to link up with folks for the trip up Dalton.
  4. bike&run

bike&run Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect! Thanks AK Beemer.
  5. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:

I'm still planning a mid to late summer trip myself. I'm just south of Indy and looking at early/mid July. Maybe workable?
  6. bike&run

bike&run Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely workable. I have a rough idea of a route I've drawn on a map and have been collecting random info like the campus housing mentioned earlier. What stage are you at with planning?
  7. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:

Planning, I don't need no stinking' planning! :lol3 All I have is the bike, gear, time and hopefully the money to make the trip both camping and some moteling if needed at times. Not concerned with a route but I don't like to dwaddle a lot and plan on riding from Indy. Riding the Dalton and to the tip is my goal and 300-400 miles a day is fine with me but I do have a job to get back to sooooooooooooooooo.

I must mention if timing and time (read work) doesn't work out I'm also considering a continental divide ride this year as an alternate.
  8. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    +1 for planning??????????????:lol3
  9. bike&run

bike&run Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being a n00b, it is clear I need to learn the ways of (not) planning! :rofl

I don't like to stick around one place a lot either and my work schedule will be a factor too. I think I'll have three weeks and possibly a few more days. I'm flexible on camping and hoteling.
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:

Sounds like were in the same ballpark. My time line is about the same. By all means a route is needed, to an extent, so you work on that and I'll ride along.:D Looking like June 27-July24 (?). Let's talk.
  11. TCAdventure

TCAdventure Just Hangin’ Out

Oddometer:
    I would like to make an Alaska trip this summer. I would be leaving from the west side of Michigan. I know some of you are going from Indiana and I saw someone from Minnesota. If anyone has room for one more person please let me know. I would like to try and make this work. :freaky
  12. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Join in! We'll pass right through your neck of the woods.......
  13. TCAdventure

TCAdventure Just Hangin’ Out

Oddometer:
    Thanks Moto. Looks like you're planning a late June departure. Let me see if I can firm up the dates you indicated in your prior post. I appreciate the invitation.
  14. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving from Detroit on June 2nd with a two day stop in New Denver, BC to visit with friends. I'll have at least three weeks to travel and hoping to get blessings for a fourth week from da boss. Current plan is to head up to St. Ignace after work on Friday, June 2nd and head across Route 2 to Glacier NP and work my way north into BC from there. Meet up with some friends on Tuesday evening, June 7th and ride the local area for two days. Departure for the north is early on June 10th direct to Watson Lake/Skagway in two days. From there, it's flexible, but I'll definitely have to be back in Detroit on July 5th to restart earning a check. :lol3 Riding a well farkled GS with Spot tracking, if that matters.
  15. builderdan

builderdan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am planning a 2011 trip. Not wanting to fly solo. Leaving from Washington state. 18-21 day. Someone in the area planning?
  16. Damiano

Damiano damianomigani

Oddometer:
    just relocated to London UK from SouthCal
    I'm leaving Bellingham on 04/22 to haines AK, I'll be riding to Anchorage and back to San Diego. Looking for a riding buddy, even if for just part of the trip
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654077
  17. builderdan

builderdan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damiano- not planning to use the ferry. Maybe a little early in the season for me, but plans can change.
  18. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:

Wear your long johns and pack a lunch. Chilkat pass out of Haines could very well be a handful that early.
  19. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    +1 on packing the long johns and you just might need some tire spikes. Chilkat Pass was still cold on the bike in June.

I am going again in June 2011 just like I did two years ago. Hoping to do Telegraph Creek, Campbell Highway and the south Canol Road as well as D2D this time. Leaving from So. Cal.
  20. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It should be quite a crowd up there this year. A few of us are leaving from Northern California May 30th headed to Prudhoe Bay. Hopefully 4-5 weeks will do it for us.