Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jfman, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your ride report and pictures. Well done and ridden. Thanks for taking me along. Can't wait for the adventure to continue to points south.
  2. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! The night-time pics were amazing......full moon rides...along the Lake Superior dunes!! Gonna do it!
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I too like the night shots. Your continued adventure south should be good. I'm staying subscribed on this one. :lurk
  4. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, loved the photos, can't wait till we head south. Be well.
  5. BADDAD

BADDAD " Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along on this very cool ADV ride! Your writing style mixed with your photography made this RR very enjoyable. Looking forward to your ADV south of the border. :clap
  6. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bravo! Thanks for sharing your ride report! If you pass through Colorado on your way to Old Mexico, let us know!! :clap:clap:clap
  7. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Thank you for the offer #1 fan. it will be in december so I will have to avoid this state on the bike this time. I do have a COBDR ride on the smaller bike lined up for July 2015 however so I will let you know. Ill be trailering this time and will abandon the car and trailer somewhere in CO.

BTW: I am currently uploading some videos related to this AK trip on youtube and once I am done Ill post them on here. They are just raw vids with no editing.
  8. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. I am planning to the to COBDR next summer as well. What dates in July are you planning?
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know yet but probably in the later part of the month. Ill be in touch :norton
  10. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terrific report, JF!!!! I just found it and have only read up to the end of page one so far, but I'm hooked! I'm not going to get any work done until I read more.

Your photos are great and so is your writing style!

Were you writing and posting WHILE on the trip, or just keeping notes and posting once you got back?

And about your tire changing... You only carried a spare FRONT tire? Isn't that a bit odd? Usually it's the back that wears a lot faster than the front. And once you installed the new tire did you do anything about balancing it or just ride it without balancing? I can't see riding at the speeds you mention with an unbalanced tire, especially the front.

When ya coming by for a coffee?
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Eldor!

Thanks for the comments. We should go for a ride soon before the season is over but I dont have a proper touring bike in Montreal right now, just the little DRZ.

I did not post up the report while on the trip. I waited untill I got back, and I took my time selecting a few pics from each day of the trip then I wrote up the report.

I left the house with a new rear and an older front so that is why I carried a front at first. Then I bought a cheap used rear from motoquest in Anchroage just in case. The rears I dont balance them at all and the fronts I check them out on the axle and stick a weight on the opposite end of the heavy side. Seems to work and on a tire like the TKC80 it doesnt make a difference really.
  12. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, outstanding report. Thank you! :clap
  13. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  14. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read your r/r in one sitting, great pics and to the point text. Have decided to return and explore more. Thanks for the push in the adv direction
  15. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    Jfman,
    So what were the actual dates of your trip?
    AK was supposed to have been this year, but life happens; still planning it. Instead, I did Beartooth, Chief Joseph, Yellowstone and Glacier around the 2nd week of July. I was fortunate and had great weather.
    The road into Kennicott Mine looked much better than stories about it that I've heard from others. You said they are renovating the mine; are they making the road better too?
    There were a few places where I recognized the spot of your photo. 99 coming into Whistler was one of them; I have the same shot. I liked that road.
    Thanks again for the entertaining ride.
    -ceej
  16. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I left on the evening of June 19 and flew home on the July 13.

I tought all the roads I traveled were better than what I was expecting. Rain or lack of rain is a big factor however.
  17. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report!!!!!

what tent do you have?

Would you recommend it for cold weather?

Thanks....Alan
  18. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a Marmot limelight 3p - great tent. Not a cold weather tent however, it flows too well, too much screening and the breeze flows. I wanted to buy a different tent for this trip but budget was tight.

Considering all for this trip is it did great however.

BTW: I started a thread about cold weather camping on motocampers. Here is a response I got with a suggestion for a cold weather tent.

MEC Wanderer

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/s...-without-power&p=106276&viewfull=1#post106276

I am going to pick a used one up on kijiji if a deals sails by.
  19. euromedic

euromedic Peterman

Oddometer:
    Well done jf. Thank you vewy much.
  20. grampp

grampp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I truly enjoyed reading your story and all the comments. It was better than a book or a movie. I too I'm hoping to take a solo ride to Alaska. Thanks