Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jfman, Jul 18, 2014.

1. hankhowi

hankhowi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Peoples Republic of California, Los Angeles
    Thanks for the killer report. I'm living vicariously through your exploits.
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    The youtube video link post

This is just a post with random unedited youtube videos I have uploaded. Video editing isnt part of my skillset but maybe later on I'll learn how to mess with all that. i only have videos of the first 11 days of riding, after that my camera took on water and quit cooperating.

Beartooth Pass

Part 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o8yClrrUYF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PZH4gFjKKXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 3

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ntZBo3FPHX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sXYu-PuUncc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 5

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_9FXZpBPgmk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 6 - With the elks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JlYtZqsCE2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 7 - Venturing on dirt

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V7ua80neg6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 8 - more dirt
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W9Q0-PePWwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Joseph Highway

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VYX4h8SRfb8?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

49 near Glacier National Park (hail storm)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hAPSYniDkyM?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forest Service Trunk Road in Alberta - deer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_46eFdul_rE?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forest Service Trunk Road in Alberta - bear

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3JwXxXg8oqk?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cassiar

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dvUg7e-CVOk?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bridge in Yukon

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cQXuI4BTOAI?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nabesna road

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iogydUwba8I?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0KptExF491o?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R6vnH837s9Y?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OJ5kY5Gobq0?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

High bridge on the way to Kennecott Mine

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ScN3YdqVSFc?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trail at Kennecott Mine - going up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZvmBE8ndAyE?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And coming back

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ckMS4YgwQ0E?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AK1 on the way to Palmer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SzTNQLoL1rg?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chickening out on a steep trail

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BgrK8riTuj8?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archangel Road near Hatcher's Pass

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W-bn9tVJHxM?list=UU9I3oSgrsxOIW_Dsu-Z52og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. WestEastah

WestEastah Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. August West

August West Wharf Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode through Idaho with Pol and Lucy a couple of summer's ago, great folks. How cool! Great RR. Thanks!
    jfman likes this.
  5. NTTF

NTTF ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oddometer:
    Nice RR. I'm pretty sure I met you in the Chicken free camp area.

You absolutely flew by me (on dirt no less :eek1) on top of the world highway and again after Dawson City. You weren't kidding when you said you were in a hurry to get to Vancouver. :rofl

Glad to see it all worked out.
  6. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, .. it's officially late December!! :deal:deal:deal:deal :dj:dj:dj:dj:kumbaya:kumbaya:kumbaya:kumbaya
  7. maverick1715

maverick1715 Maverick

Oddometer:
  8. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Excellent report Maverick.
  9. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was great story. Thanks.
  10. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant beleive it took so long for someone to catch that one :)

They are the best and will be part of my next report.

You ride a DL650 right? How did the rest of you trip go?

Yessir (posting from Topolobampo) :D

Great ! I need to check you video ou when I get get to a real internet connection.
  11. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, get to posting! :D Or are you planning to write the report once you get back home? Have fun, man!! :freaky:freaky:freaky
  12. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    Quelle Aventure!
    Definitely one of the best RR I ever read, you're a very good teller.
    I love the pictures also, exactly what I usually try to take... nice wide sceneries but also details of the real life.

I did not have opportunity to visit this part But now I know what I'll show to family/friends when we'll speak about north-west America!

:thumb

PS: I love the harmonica story... not a musician but I have one from a previous life and I always threw it in my luggage
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you for the comment. Sadly the Harmonica has been collecting dust and rust in my pannier since that day. I have not tried to use it since.
  14. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:

Have you started a ride report for the trip south yet?
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have been working on it.

By the end of the week I will put up the first couple of days.
  16. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Great, really looking forward to it. :clap no pressure.:lol3
  17. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic work, thanks for sharing.
  18. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! Please post a link here! :clap
  19. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great inspiring RR. I truly enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope one day I can bring my bike to North America and ride there.

Questions: Where do you keep your camera when riding? If I remember correctly you use a dslr camera right?

How do you secure your fuel canisters on the inside of your panniers?

Its great to see a RR like this being done on a bike like this. The Versys 1000 is one heck of a bike. How did you like the bike for this kind of trip?

Thanks again. Im on to your next RR :deal