Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jfman, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Thank you for the comments.

I keep the dslr in the top case with some of my clothes.

90% of the time the fuel canisters are empty and stashed inside the rack. If I know I need to use them I empty them right away and then tie them to the crash bars.

I tie the, down with those rubber covered grippy metal wires they sell at REI and I use bungee chords.

The bike did really well for this trip. Only downside is lack of clearance in certain situations.
  2. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply. I already enjoy your latest RR :deal
  3. TacticalRider

TacticalRider No Road, No Problem

Oddometer:
    This was a great ride report. I did a similar ride in 2006 to Alaska, covered 16,000 in 19 days solo. Met a lot of great people along. I don't recall a day that I did not meet another fellow rider to have lunch or dinner with. Looking back I should have slowed down and spent more time along the way taking in the sites. Almost 10 year later I still rank my Alaska ride and ride up the Dempster in the Yukon as one of my best experiences.

Your ride report has me wanting do it again and it looks like you've motivated many others.

I have to say, I ride a BMW R1200 GSA and I was always on the watch for gas, and I have a 33L tank. My advice to everyone riding in northern BC, Alaska and the Yukon is to fill up often. After 6PM getting gas can be nearly impossible in some areas.

Thanks for a great ride report, it was a great way to spend a few hours on a chilly March Sunday. Think I'll go out and work on my GS this evening.
  4. ExpeditionMarc

ExpeditionMarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride. In less than 90 days I will be leaving my home in northern Ontario to Alaska. It's nice to see what one could expect. I will have 5 weeks to Ride there and explore on the 6th week the wife fly's in and we will doing a 7 day Alaskan cruise. That's how I managed to get the green light. Ha!:D
  5. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very happy to see you have 6 weeks to get there.

I would not go back with less than 4 weeks in the bank.

How is the bike going to get home if you are on a cruise for your last week?
  6. ExpeditionMarc

ExpeditionMarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I booked a secured storage 5x10 in Anchorage for $29.00 while we cruise on the boat. When I'm done the cruise,wife fly's back home And I will ride the bike back all the way home. Take me a good week I'm thinking. I can also get my bike flown to Toronto from Vancouver or Calgary for $650. I'm looking at this as well as we speak. Look at this. http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/03/03/air-canadas-new-motorcycle-cargo-options/#_
  7. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    Bravo sir!! Just read all this while in work.. My boss is not happy right now :rofl
    You are an inspiration.. I am new to adventure riding and this is exactly what I am aiming for in life..
    Thank you for a great RR :clap
    jfman likes this.
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello all inmates,

I am here to tell you about Federico, who made an appearance in this RR has been traveling the world for over 3 years now. He is not an active member on advrider but I can assure you that he carries and travels with the advrider spirit everywhere he goes. As you can see he travels on extremely modest means and knows how to stretch a dollar. Federico has stretched his budget as much as he can but is running out of money

If you enjoyed this report and his contribution to this report, you can give back to him by sending him a small donation thru his go fund me page. Every little bit helps. No donation is too small.

As I type this, a Euro costs $1.13 US and I know even one Euro will make a difference to him.

https://www.gofundme.com/pfbq47f8

his facebook: https://www.facebook.com/federikokano

[​IMG]

Here he is on the left standing next to @AKDuc

[​IMG]

Here is the comment I left for him with my donation.

Thank you all!

Ride on fellow riders and enjoy Alaska if you can next summer!

-jfman
  9. doktor dare

doktor dare Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I need to start looking at more ride reports on here.
    Have missed this great one for about two years.
    I like how you just camped in the wild any time you wanted.
    Not many riders to Alaska do that, [Grizzly country]
    Nice report!
    jfman likes this.
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the comment. I have fond memories of this trip. Whenever I am in a bad place mentaly I just take a peak at this old report and it brings a smile to my face.
  12. riverfever

riverfever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of best reports I've read in a long while. Thanks for sharing your trip. In 2012 I had to stop doing long distance cycling trips (mostly mountain bikes here in the Rockies) and I miss exploring on two wheels and being off the beaten path. I bought my 76 CB550 to restore and be a replacement for the bicycle that now hangs in the garage due to upset injuries. This is a trip I want to do. Probably not on a CB but I need something to learn on. The CB is sooooo close to being able to light tour around here. Next summer.
  13. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns
    Just found this RR and couldn't stop reading it and taking notes.
    Thanks sharing.
  14. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike,

I am considering going back to Alaska next summer. Weighting out my options as I am taking some time off my job next year.
    Alaskajeff likes this.
  15. Tim Graichen

Tim Graichen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you end up going back to AK in 2018, let me know. I have 3 months, and I'm heading up from Ohio with an R1200 and a tent. I want to do the new road to Tuktuyuktuk.
  16. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this Report as well. I couldn't stop reading. I'm looking to take 4-5 weeks in 2018 to make this trip, so this is some great info. Regards.
  17. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man,

I am likely going back to AK this summer for a longer time period this time around.(2 months) I have the time off just gotta find the money :) Gotta sell one of my bikes to free up some fuel money.
  18. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I toured most of Mexico in the early 90s on a CB400. it was more than capable of doing whatever needed done. You don't need a high-tech farklemobile to have memorable adventures, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    jfman likes this.