Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    I'll be traveling solo from Louisiana.
    I have a plan A and plan B as far as my scheduling.

PLAN A: I consider being most idea would have me riding to a family reunion in Texas then leaving from the reunion on June 9th and returning home July 9th or 10th.

PLAN B: I'd be leaving May 11th and returning in time for the reunion on June 9th. I'm just wondering if this plan would be too early for me to ride the "Top of the World Hwy" and the Dalton.
    Any insight?
    Also I'm in search of a new set of waterproof cold weather gloves for this trip.

Most of my scheduling is based on my work schedule. It's kind of an either or situation. All I do know is I'm defiantly going in 2018 the wife already granted me a pass!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  2. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan A...as the weather will be better...and you will need the time On The Road to let go of all those weird feelings after the "family reunion".

Weather can be a fickle friend, as we never know for sure when it will be good vs bad...May/June vs June/July in Alaska, but the safer bet is Plan A.
    MotoSkipper, wannabehippy and mikegc like this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    No way in Hell would I want to enjoy the bliss of the open road for a month....knowing it would end at a family reunion!!!!
    No Siree....not gonna do it!!!!
  4. wannabehippy

Oddometer:
    Lol be it the reunion or going back to work all good things must come to an end!

I've strategically saved my vacation time for the past 2 years to where I'm now at a use it or lose it point come either June or July. My boss told me 3years back that there was no way he'd ever let me take that much time off. So I timed it with our contract coming up for renewal to where I'm basically going to force him into letting me go since he's a company man and the company doesn't want to have to pay us out for unused vacation time at the end of the contract if they lose the contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    TreasureState likes this.
  5. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    Mayo is just a short ride on a paved road, but is it worth riding to? The geography seems pretty cool, and a place where animal encounters are likely. Keno City looks like the best attraction, but has anybody been there recently. Is the road heavy ADV bike friendly?

So much to see and experience up there![/QUOTE]

I camped at a really nice Yukon Gov't campground at 5 Mile Lake near Mayo in June of 2015. Rode up to Keno the next morning; as I recall the road was well-maintained gravel with only a few sketchy spots near Elsa. It was early on a Sunday morning when I got there, thus everything was closed. Duh. I had really wanted to visit the mining museum there. Rode up to the signpost on Keno Hill (elevation 5900') on a fairly rotten gravel road and took a ton of pictures; was visited by a fox of some kind. Beautiful up there as you're above the timber line and can see forever. Was riding a Tiger 800 roadie on K60's and had no problems with traction.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there's a cardlock gas station in Mayo at the junction where the highway turns off to 5 Mile Lake/Elsa/Keno.
    djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  6. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:

PLAN A: This way when you leave... you're not stressed having to rush back to your Family re-union. Now you can take your time and enjoy after hearing all of the "You're crazy, watch for bears, etc." from your family members. :lol3 On top of that, they can now follow you and enjoy your adventure also. :thumb

The best tip I could offer is.... Don't try and do it all in one trip. There's so much to see in Alaska. Heck.... just traveling through Canada is a trip by itself. Ride and smell the roses. I highly recommend reading Tewster2 ride reports to Alaska. He shares a wealth of knowledge about his travels to Alaska with pics. A GREAT GUY with whom I had the pleasure of meeting during my travel to Alaska as we played leap frog for a few miles (LOL). As for me, I was fortunate to ride some of the remote parts of Alaska with a group of locals in addition to experiencing some of the popular areas. However, I am planning to visit again as there's sooooo much more to see and enjoy in both Canada and Alaska.

Having said all of that.... Pic a few MUST SEE points of interest. Connect the dots, step back and take a reality check as to your travel time at a relaxed pace. Nothing worse than rushing to a destination, get there and too damn tired to enjoy it. However, If your pace proves to allow more time, then you can venture out more. By all means do enjoy Canada on your way.

My $0.02
    Cheers...
    bobw, MotoSkipper, djroszina and 3 others like this.
  7. bobframe

bobframe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend and I are planning to trailer our GSA's from north Georgia to Cody, WY where we'll begin our Alaska ride. We are in the early, early planning stages but I suspect we'll be shooting for an early June start. I do know for sure is that we'll do no camping and will not attempt either the Dalton or Dempster Highways. The Icefields Parkway is at the top of my list. Other than that, who knows?

Both of us are retired so we have a lot of flexibility on when we start, where we go and how long we'll stay. This thread is a great resource in formulating our plan. I hope that all of you keep posting...really excited about this.
  8. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if I’m overstating the obvious, but I use the Milepost for the year I’m going in as a very beneficial resource, plus I just enjoy researching the different places and routes that I may or may not take.
  9. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    I traded my Eureka Midori 2 for a Marmot Limestone 2P. 50 percent more volume and a larger door. https://www.marmot.com/limelight-2p...uwZInZyhJ3yNvhk-Qzvm_9VhoC1CEQAvD_BwE&start=1

About the same weight as the Midori. I gave my Eureka Midori to my grandson as the tent Grandpa took to Alaska. Lukas is six. They erected it in their basement playroom and he had to spend the weekend sleeping in it.
  10. gpax

Oddometer:
    Tent Tarp and Motorcycle Camp-2381.jpg Took a Noah Tarp and a Eureka Midori 2. I could get my V-strom 650 and tent under the tarp. Rained cats and dogs the night of this photo. Stayed dry as a bone. Tent was even dry. Only thing wet was the tarp.
  11. wannabehippy

Oddometer:
    Is that the Noah 12?
    I have the 12 and am planning on taking it.
  12. Married Man

Married Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that I'm an expert on Alaska ( I went last summer) and I have perused the previous comments, here is my profound advice. Drink the sour toe cocktail in Dawson City. Oh, there's more. Stop in Chicken. Camp in Coldfoot, it's free and make sure you get there for the buffet. I can't speak for the Haul Road to Prudhoe but the ride to Coldfoot is great. Tires are not a problem. I ran Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs on a BMW R1200R with no problem. I spent two nights at the Roberts Service Campground in Whitehorse and had no problems and it's convenient to town. There's a nice campground next to the 49th State Brewery just north of Denali which worked out well with my dietary regimen. Ride the Denali Highway. If you make it to Anchorage, eat at F Street Station. You can camp for free at the HD dealer with free shower. If you go to Homer, take the water taxi to the Saltry. On my trip, I enjoyed the scenery, food and beer; not necessarily in that order. Oh, and the only time I had a mosquito issue was when I stopped for a selfie at the Arctic Circle. Have a great time. It's an amazing trip, and Canada isn't too shabby either. (The beer isn't as good, though).

Doug
  13. wannabehippy

Oddometer:
    Oh well that's it! If the Canadian beer isn't that good I'm just gonna stay home then!

14. Married Man

Married Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wannabehippy likes this.
  15. wannabehippy

Oddometer:
    Trip back on! Lol!

16. gpax

Oddometer:
    I looked at the tarp bag and it just said “Noah Tarp”. I’ve owned the tarp for a good while. I think it is a 9. I own a Noah 12 with my car camping stuff and I believe it’s larger.
    slane6, wannabehippy and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    So, if there is a place in either AK or Canada where on your trip you would or will intentionally spend more than 2 days either motel or camping? I plan on camping on the beach on Homer Spit for 3 nights.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been to McCarthy / Kennicot mine? I watch the show Edge of Alaska, but I’m not going there to celebrity stalk, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the side trip, or is it a hyped tourist trap?
    slane6 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been there . . . . twice. The first time, in '16, we heard from a guy in Tok that it was a great place. I'd seen a few ride reports about the place and marked it in the Nav V but that was it. So, we went and stayed for one night at Ma Johnson's Hotel.

[​IMG]

Rush hour on Main Street:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place is great and so are the people! We were low on fuel when we got there due to my stupidity and we met a guy at breakfast who said, "Are you the guys looking for gas?" After our affirmative reply, he said, "Go out to the airport and, under my Cessna 150, there are a couple of two gallon containers of aviation fuel. It's yours."

I made up my mind to go back in '17 and did. This time, I called Chris at Ma Johnson's way in advance and booked a room for two nights.

Road down to Chitina:
    [​IMG]

After Chitina, the road turns to dirt and you're roughly 60 miles from McCarthy:
    [​IMG]

Crossing the bridge at Kuskalana River:
    [​IMG]

Crossing the foot bridge at McCarthy:
    [​IMG]

Beautiful downtown McCarthy:
    [​IMG]

The restaurant is, I would guess, 4 star and I've had three great meals there:
    [​IMG]

The bar next door is good, too:
    [​IMG]

If you're "out of line" in there, they'll throw you out:
    [​IMG]

Then, there's the Kennecott Mine and the trail up the the glacier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See anything that piques your interest?

Mike
  20. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mikegc , excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing. :beer
    djroszina likes this.