Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. neoday2

neoday2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great information! I am planning a trip for August - early September. I don't have much to contribute right now but I am excited to follow along and for all the ideas!
    TreasureState and wannabehippy like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keenicot was one of the top places we visited. Do not skip it.

There is free camping at the toe of the glacier. Unbelievable camp spot. There are bear proof food boxes. You can sit and watch the sun set and the glacier shed ice.

IMG_6368.JPG
  3. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    There are tons of fun trails to ride in that area, it was a handful 2up with all of our gear but absolutely worth it. If you can leave you luggage somewhere, there is a day's worth of trail riding.
    rubline and Colemanfu like this.
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Trailer Rails-------what an awesome picture of your campsite near Kennicott.
    I'll be going to Dawson and Tuktoyaktuk next year (2018). First I need to learn to spell and say Tuktoyaktuk:lol3:y0!
    Hope there's not a test ????
    Been to Prudhoe so will skip that------but there's more I haven't seen for sure.
    Thanks for reminding me of Kennicot.
    BigDog
    TreasureState and Migolito like this.
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark...I'll be at D2D also...would love to buy you some pie and say howdy :thumb
    bobw likes this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

Thank you, if you look close at the rock hill in the background, it is actually a glacier, you can see the ice along the water line. There were icebergs floating in the water.

Here is the better pic of that camp spot. You can see Kennicot in the middle at the bottom of the mountain.

IMG_6423.JPG
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    How did you know I liked Pie ????:-)
    You been taking to that dingweeds guy ???

Mark
  8. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    Bigdog! I've been reading your ride reports and blog for a few years now. In fact if there is a ride I want to do you're my go to source when it comes to ride report info. I'll be up that way this summer as well and would love to meet you if our paths cross by chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  9. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan.
    I always wanted to be a hippy---back in 1969-------but my mom wouldn't let me:imaposer
    bobw likes this.
  10. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    I'm no hippy either much too young for that. More of my parents genre.
    When my Air Force enlistment was up I grew my hair out for a few years and started riding and camping off my bike more. All of my Air Force buddies started calling me a hippy. I'd just tell them I'm a wanna be and my screen name was born.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    bobw likes this.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as passports, has anyone used the passport card for North American travel?
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m a US citizen and travel between the US and Canada was without issue with just the passport card, I can’t speak for Mexico.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  13. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Same thing. I have used the passport card for travel between the US and Canada with no issues.

KR
  14. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha yep sure have! Gonna spend a few nights at 3 Step on the way out west in May before right full rudder back to Deadhorse.

BTW...setting up a 2018 DR650 for my future rides....love getting back to basics...brings back lots of good memories of earlier days for me.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Hey John, is that you? Jeff Jones here. I may be riding to Alaska from Montana next summer as well. Let me know your plans and maybe we can ride together for awhile.
  16. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff,
    Yep, it would be great to meet up and get to ride with you.
    I am still tweaking our schedule to try and make the most of the time we have, but I will send you the latest in a couple of days
  17. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Wow! Seems like I found the right place. I'll be heading up to D2D, then on to PBay with no particular route(s) planned up or down. Thought I'd let the wind and weather set my course and speed. Going to camp and hotel along the way. Got a new CB500X that I will be modding for adventures like this. I look forward to meeting some fellow ADV riders on the trail. BTW, in other posts I detailed a Mosquito survival plan. Ill post it up again in this thread later.

Here's IMO the best way to treat clothing and your body for Mosquito repelancy. Permithrin: The correct Permithrin is the odorless NON-petroleum type(water based) that you want. Get a 5 gallon homedepot bucket (or other plastic container). Add the water to about 1/2 way full-2.5 gallons. Add the permithin (directions on the bottle-youre looking for .8% which is higher that the spray which is .5%). Immerse your t-shirts, pants, shorts, quarter zip, Hat, etc. ALL OUTER CLOTHING. THIS is important-do not cheap out or you deserve to be bitten!. ALL OUTER CLOTHING. Soak until completely saturated. Ring out and let drip dry. Esta completo. Your done. Do this a week before you need it. It will last many weeks and many washings.
    I don't do socks as a rule because my socks are generally covered. However, IF you are worried about ticks or other crawling insects, treat socks. As for actual riding clothes and backpacks if you are backpacking-Use the spray(https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-insect-repellent-treatment/ or use the stuff in your bucket in a spray bottle...even better!) on ALL RIDING CLOTHES. Not just your jacket, Spray everything even your hat. I also spray the Vestibules and netting of my tent, and the inside. Make sure its damp, not just lightly dusted at. Permithrin will not melt plastic like DEET, doesn't smell and doesn't burn your skin or eyes.

For those of you who have been attacked by Squidos-Try this and you will be amazed. You owe me a beer!

Make sure you have the Picaridin for your body. Just treating your clothes is NOT enough. They also make a Picaridin lotion https://www.rei.com/product/887628/sawyer-picaridin-insect-repellent-lotion-4-fl-oz
    that is outstanding too. Also, just to beat this horse to death...Use the Picaridin BEFORE you arrive at the Squido destination.Don't wait untill they are swarming you. The Picaridin does not stink at all, so don't be shy.
    Ozarks Rider, slane6, rickj and 3 others like this.
  18. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks guys. Longtime passport user, just never had a passport card.
  19. rocketman9255

rocketman9255 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey ho guys and gals. Im a solo rider looking for a fellow inmate for 2019 (yes 19). I'm down in Florida and don't have any firm plans, just thinking. I'd love someone w experience to share the fun. Is there a 2019 board? Thoughts?
    rubline likes this.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    2019!!! Na Na. 2018, ya ya. As the great John Lennon said "life is whats happening while your making plans...".
    eemsreno and djroszina like this.