Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have reservation for the Skagway ferry to Bellingham on the 16th. Hope they have 'er running by then but, if not, I know the way back. Hope your trip is going well.

Mike
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    What's up with your buddy's bike?
  3. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    breaking down at 65 mph and higher then shutting down, no shift indicator, no cruise control
    user name Robnoxious
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time we were up here was 2015 (2016 we went to Yellowknife and other back roads) anyway, on the Cassiar Highway today (7/8/18) we noticed there are a lot more places to purchase fuel and a lot more places to camp at organized sites.... the road is much better shape than we have previously experienced; however South of Inuit there is a LOT of construction... can expect a 30 minute wait... looks like they are chip sealing... dusty mess when we came through. North of Jade City saw a nice bull moose and a couple of bears...
    mikegc and rubline like this.
  5. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Made it to Dawson City last night after
    10 and loosing my riding partner to mechanical failure, going to try and make it to Whitehorse tonight. Advice on a decent place (cheap or free) to hang a hammock or pitch a tent. Going to be a long day and take advantage of longer hours of daylight.
    rubline likes this.
  6. mikegc

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^
    It's not a tough trip down to Whitehorse. Watch your speed around Pelly Crossing. The RCMP was working the hill down to the bridge and the south end of town, as well when I went through. The road, with the exception of just a few places, is good.

Mike
    rubline likes this.
  7. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This made me laugh cause i was totally pointing out old beater pickups for sale along the road a few weeks ago on our trip. Not that we were wanting any trouble, but as a plan B picking up an old truck for a couple of grand and (hopefully) being able to sell it at home seemed like the best scenario. If both riders were ok and only one bike was down, buying a used KLR somewhere was another option.
  8. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cold and rain in Haines :vardy
    mikegc and skibum69 like this.
  9. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Cold rain at Hatcher Pass and foggy. Heading to McCarthy for a couple of nights. Glad I brought the Gerbings! Oh, Phoenix 101, the ferry is supposed to leave Bellingham day after tomorrow and be in Skagway for the 16th sailing back to Bellingham. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but have made plans to return to the lower 48 overland. Had the bike serviced yesterday at the Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage.

Safe travels,

Mike
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone been on the Dalton Highway lately? Planning on being on the road this weekend... looking for road report (i.e. construction)...
  11. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    google 511 alaska
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  12. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread! I think that it has proved to be very helpful for many of us planning our rides north.

Our group returned a few days ago after a fantastic ride, except for the nasty cold two of us picked up along the way! Our trip originated and ended in Spokane, WA. We had a general route that we planned to follow and many optional places to visit, all of which we knew we wouldn't be able to hit due to time constraints. We had a 2-day clearing of the weather on the way to Dawson, so we went up the Dempster as far as Eagle Plains and the arctic circle marker. Compared to our 2015 trip during which we were deluged in rain and mud, this ride up the Dempster was very enjoyable.

We managed to get in the Icefields Parkway, Liard Hot Springs, 2 days in Dawson, TOTWH, Denali highway, Hatcher Pass / independence Mine, Valdez, Kennecott Mine, and Hyder / Salmon Glacier. I also appreciated the tips to take highways 23 with the ferry ride across the Columbia and 31A along Kootenay Lake with the ferry ride at Kootenay Bay. Fantastic!

To all those still headed up north or currently on the road, safe travels.

Thanks again,
    Rick
    refokus, knight, neoday2 and 7 others like this.
  13. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those coming in and out of Bellingham feel free to look me up on tentspace. I am located in Ferndale just north of Bellingham and have lots of room along with a shop and NoMar tire machine to assist if needed. This is the busy time of the year for us on a blueberry farm but travelers are always welcome .
  14. The Tall Rider

The Tall Rider n00b

Oddometer:
  15. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Cassiar is the way I'm heading up. Leaving UT on the 20th!
    neoday2 and rubline like this.
  16. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did Wiseman to Deadhorse today. Dalton was a soupy mess. Grip was good and we were doing 45 to 50 except in a few freshly grated areas that were deep and slick. We kept the bikes upright but they were scary sections. Several construction stops with pilot cars but fairly short waits. Last 80 miles or so is full of potholes and washboards along with the soup. Took us a total of 6 hours to make it so not terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Made it to Skagway after a wet, cold, windy and foggy ride. Looks like the ferry will be here tomorrow. I asked a guy at the Skagway Fish House if it was always this windy and cold and he said, "Early May is always this way."

Mike
    The Tall Rider, rubline and TNRyder like this.
  18. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Came off the Dawson today. Rode to Deadhorse on Sunday and ditto the construction areas up on the tundra are a bit of a challenge (wife made it on her G650GS ;o) Riding back down the same day we ran into a pretty good storm but got back to Wiseman (stayed at Arctic Get Away, VERY recommended!!!) . Today it was rain... coming out of Yukon Camp it was buckets... but got back to civilization with the first stop a car wash for the bikes and us...

check the Alaska DOT Web site as there are road closures 20 miles NORTH of Wiseman, on specific dates from 6AM to 6PM...
    mikegc and Meritlane like this.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    in Dawson City tonight... TOW was a freeway! We had to hustle to make the border crossing, but made it in time.. easy peasy crossing (even with a firearm)
    mikegc and rubline like this.
  20. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    In the process of reading the thread... I’m sure the answers are in there somewhere, but...

What would it be like end of Aug into mid Sep from Colorado to Prudoe Bay and back?

Anyone going up during that timeframe?

Can I pitch a tent almost anywhere?

Should I bring my own bear canister for food storage.

I know these may sound like some rookie questions, but I’m fine with asking them anyway. Some vacation just opened up for me and hadn’t thought this trip would ever be a possibility.

Anyway, back to post 128.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    neoday2 likes this.