Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Mid Sept might still be mild in most of N. America but inside the Arctic circle, you are nearly 3 months past the mid-Summer solstice. Not saying you can't or shouldn't go but be aware you will not have the benefit of endless sunlight and could face some severe weather.
    mikegc likes this.
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    It can be quite nice, with fall colors and blue skies. Or... it can be cold, raining or snowing, and no chance to see anything. I've had a nice trip back north in mid-September, with just an unseasonal snow hitting Watson Lake a day before I got there. By the time I rode through, there was no sign of it. But this summer has been a mild winter in many parts of the north country, so weatherwise you need to be prepared for anything.

Most everyone with a lick of sense will be southbound around that time. Notice that in the answer just above I mentioned that I had been northbound in that time frame, so my mental state is definitely suspect. :loco

Pretty much so, just about all over the north. But stay away from streams and rivers, as there are some late runs of salmon that attract bears. Most campgrounds are closing up so you may need to make a primitive camp. Just be careful where you choose to pitch your tent.

Much simpler to not carry food. Towns or places where you can get some food are not that far apart, even out of the main tourist season. If you feel you must carry food, leave it 100 yds or so from where you'll be sleeping. I usually carry a roll of fluorescent surveyor's tape to mark the spot, making it easier to find in my pre-coffee stupor.

3. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no doubt. Weather is a fickle thing. I had snow riding cross country end of Oct through WA and MT a few years back. Just wondering how many have rode that time of year through there or perhaps if anyone was actually planning it this year. Love to have the company.

Thanks
  4. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    I've got a lot of experience backpacking, just wondering what others have experienced. Wasn't sure of the availability of food. That's good to know.

I don't have a lick of sense either. Tough to have that nowadays though when almost everyone you know just tells you that you're crazy while they all just sit on the couch watching sports and shows about other people doing the things they would love to. Then when you get back they can't wait to hear every detail.

Hope I can find another inmate without commonsense. I always feel sharing the experience is much more fun.

I don't have any set plans or expectations other than making it home on time. Thanks for the insight. Did you do a trip report on the ride?
    krug and Phoenix101 like this.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    wife pointed out many businesses are closing down come mid-September
    mikegc likes this.
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, didn't bother. After nearly 60 years of traveling back and forth between Alaska and South 48 points it has all become too routine to be worth writing about. But I did take a few photos, some of which I have on Smugmug: 2005 Late Summer Ride Having seen most all there is to see several times, I just ride on through, usually taking 2 1/2 days from my home to the U. S. border, with just one overnight stop along the way.

If you look at the photos (and I should go back and post a few more from that trip) you will notice two different bikes. My '94 Concours was left with a friend in South Carolina and needed some carb work, along with a few other things. So that provided an excuse for taking the Wing down to swap with it. Spent an all-too-quick three weeks on that ride, visiting friends, taking photos, visiting the motorcycle museum in Reynoldsburg, OH, spending a few hours at my high school class reunion in Michigan, and taking photos all across the country for the Team Strange Airheads Grand Tour.

That time of year, I would suggest not wasting any time going north, just look the route over as you travel so you have an idea where you might want to stop for a closer look as you travel south. Then plan on taking a bit more time going back home, with a better idea now of what there is to see.

If you plan on making the run up to Deadhorse, be aware that A: Atigun Pass can get snow any time of year, so check weather forecasts before leaving Fairbanks. And B: Once you get north of the Brooks Range mountains, seasonal changes are almost a month behind the rest of Alaska, thanks to the proximity of the Arctic Ocean.

Looking forward to reading your RR - with lots of photos, please.
    rubline and Tewster2 like this.
  7. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, kind've why I was thinking about bringing my own food. Dunno.
  8. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check your RR. Seems like most don't really recommend riding all the way to Deadhorse. I know for most it's pretty boring. For me, it's more of a memorable thing to do. I once rode from PA south to FL then zig-zagged my way west and north to Death Valley, headed north to WA then zig-zagged my way East and South back to PA just to have crossed into every state that's south and west of PA. I've ridden my F800GS in all of the lower 48. Once I get Alaska, I'll have to figure out my snorkel to get Hawaii.

I had once thought of doing all the Provinces and Territories of Canada until I read that there were no roads to Nunavut. And before you say it, I don't plan on riding any ice roads.

I usually don't stop too much or explore too much. It's a funny thing with family, you can't wait to hit the road, then miss them like crazy when you're gone. These rides for me are more of a recharge and reconnaissance for later in life.

Interesting how a mountain range can change everything. I'm always amazed at that.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think all of those questions have been answered here or the Tuk thread
    rubline likes this.
  10. neoday2

neoday2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am heading up from Minnesota mid August to early September. This is my first time up, similar situation with vacation working out.

Lots of camping and winter camping experience. I am not so much afraid of the cold as I am of hoping for not a lot of rain.

These threads are helpful, have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought they may have been. I'll be reading through them.
  12. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert--just rode my first trip from CO to the Dalton this June myself (eastern route via Shelby MT, Jasper and Fort Nelson). Weather was dry with rare exception. Locals on the route and old hats in the forums have said that riding the ALCAN in September is like playing Russian roulette. Maybe the weather is great, maybe you get snowed in and die frozen in a ravine to be devoured by ice weasels. I'd have a bail-out plan via Anchorage in place should you become either unwilling or unable to return back thru Canada. I had one, and I used it.

Camping--lots of options along the road if you're wildlife savvy. Helps to not even take food to your campsite--eat somewhere along the ride and wash up good.

That said, you never know for yourself until you try. Seems "adventure" is the requisite portion of "adventure riding" or something.
    rubline and neoday2 like this.
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is not just food... it is also fuel...
  15. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully that can be determined on the way north.
  16. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been up 3 times just after Sturgis and made it a point to be home, Milwaukee, WI by Labor Day weekend. The fall colors are awesome even on the tundra. With your dates I would beeline up without smelling the roses all the way to Deadhorse paying close attention to the weather. Then work your way South. Mid August I saw snow being dumped in the southern Alaska mountains...the passes would not be far behind. What you will be rewarded with is minimal tourist congestion, less bugs, and beautiful fall colors...watch out for the moose, they will be rutting.
    rubline, mikegc and Tewster2 like this.
  17. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three of us leaving the Seattle area on July 27th, planned return on Aug 12th.

Stewart/Hyder, Watson Lake, Dawson, TOWH, Denali, Anchorage, McCarthy/Kennicott Mines, Whitehorse, then home.
    rubline, Tewster2 and mikegc like this.
  18. rrindfield

rrindfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn’t someone mention the college in Fairbanks rents dorm rooms? I should be there tomorrow or Monday and looking for a place to stay. Currently in Whitehorse YT at Caribou RV Park and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone traveling this way.
    RedRover_CO and mikegc like this.
  19. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Cranbook this morning. Heading to Kamloops, Prince George, Hyder, Cassair Hwy, maybe Dawson City, definitely Fairbanks/ artic circle, then down to Homer-ish.
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you go to McCarthy!

Mike
    The Tall Rider and djroszina like this.