Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I wish I had kept a note book on all the places to avoid and the good placed along the ride to Alaska.
    Is there a list out there some place?
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tim, I stayed there on June 29th and, I have to admit, the old gentleman was "different." I checked in around 3:30 PM and he said, "Why are you stopping now? You could go another 100K." For an innkeeper, I thought it a bit odd. He had two young people there, Aussies, I think, and they were fine and fixed me a good meal that evening. The next day, I was early for breakfast and the older gentleman was the only one there. He fixed breakfast and I talked to him for about 30 minutes. He was fine, then, and admitted being overwhelmed. I kinda felt sorry for him.

Mike
  3. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eight days on motorcycles, 3,330 miles (not counting the 4,000 miles traveling in the SUV towing the bikes to Watson Lake) rode TOW and the Dalton Highway

[​IMG]

It was a wet day for our run to Deadhorse

A lot of the Dalton Highway is now paved, I estimate it is about 60/40 paved and dirt. We stayed in a really cool bed and breakfast in Wiseman, Alaska, which was our jump off spot to ride to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay).. a mere 220 miles one way... we planned a quick up and back and then ran into weather! It was a LONG 12 hours but made it.

MUD, slick roads, it is pouring BUCKETS of cold rain... and she still gives me a thumbs up!

[​IMG]

My hats off to the couple riding two up we met as they were traveling South on the Dalton... on a Harley all covered in mud
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep it's too bad...the first time I stopped there the place had great homemade pies, good coffee, and polite helpful peoplel...now not so much.
    mikegc likes this.
  5. rrindfield

rrindfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ideas on camping or staying on the Denali Hwy? Did Dalton yesterday and working my way south.
    mikegc likes this.
  6. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tangle lakes and Maclaren lodge have places to stay, check out their websites. Both places have gas with maclaren having premium fuel.
    There is another place closer to Cantwell, Clearwater mountain lodge, use to be gracious House, that has lodging. I’ve never been there so can’t comment.
    As far as camping, the Denali highway is one giant campground. Just pull off the road at some cool place you find. It’s better to get higher elevation (wind) like Maclaren pass to escape bugs, try to stay away from rivers and creeks as they are usually pretty buggy.
    If I find a nice place to camp and someone is already there I move on so they can have their space ( unless it’s a campground of course).
    If you’re into state campgrounds there is brushkana on the west side.
  7. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shout out to Ron and Krista at Alaska Classic Motion in Anchorage who not only shipped my bike back to the states for a great rate, but they also tied up all my dirty loose ends from that ride themselves--quite literally. ^^woot :bow
    Tewster2 and rubline like this.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I've stayed at Tangle Lakes twice and it's a nice place. Nadine and her husband own the place and been there about fifty years. Violet works there and she's a real trip. I look forward to returning.

Mike
  9. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Lol, Correct!!
  10. THogland

THogland Back in Alaska!

Oddometer:
    So, I've dug around and am not finding any good answer to this question. What's the recommended way to pass through Customs when riding a motorcycle? It's not like being in a car, where you can have your license, registration, passport etc. sitting in the seat next to you - mine is buried in a zippered pocket, and not accessible with gloves on. And, if they decided to ask for my registration and insurance, that's under my seat.

Looking on the gov't websites, it appears that all I need to produce is a US Passport card to get into Canada, and a US Passport card (or my Global Entry card) to get back into the US. But, sitting in a line of traffic, pulling off gloves, helmet, etc. to get to an ID card seems like it wouldn't put the border guards in a great mood. Is it better to pull off to the side somewhere and park? Like that lot where they inspect your car when they think you're smuggling books into the Yukon or something... :)

Or do they really not care?
  11. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The normal process is to pull up slowly, turn off the bike, remove your helmet, gloves and ear plugs. Hand them your passport. Know your license plate number. Answer their question simply. Once done, tell them you’ll roll forward a bit so they can help the net person in line and gear back up and go. Just in case I keep a copy of all my documents with me to hand them if they want to see insurance or registration. They never have. Good to have copies of all you stuff in case you lose it. I also keep the pictures of them on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phoenix101, rubline and WJBertrand like this.
  12. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

I have the stuff in my tank-bag and when I stop, you have to take your helmet off. I turn off the engine and hand them my card and answer their questions. They are in no hurry and they want to know you plate number. Never had a problem. They have always been courteous to me on both sides of the border and I have always reciprocated that behavior and have no issues. They don't seem to be in any rush. I am sure any contact they have is considered good. It gives them more time to see your behavior, answer their questions and look over your bike and you.

KR
    rubline and WJBertrand like this.
  13. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I've kept all of that documentation (Passport, drivers license, Insurance and registration) handily accessible in a jacket pocket or my tank bag when crossing in and out of Canada. Sometimes all they want to see is the passport, other times they've wanted to see it all. So far I've never had my bike searched / inspected at the border, but I know folks who have.

The agent, in my experience, isn't going to be in any hurry and will wait for you to dig stuff out, that'll be more of an issue for you. Not sure about those waiting behind you though! If you're travelling with other riders, only approach the check station one at a time unless they wave you up, which happened to me once when my buddy was already up at the checkpoint. I've had agents that are chatty and funny to others that were very serious and terse, though I'm not sure if the chatty/funny thing is just a disarming technique. Never volunteer any information that wasn't asked for specifically. Otherwise politeness and respect at all times.
    mikegc, rubline and CavReconSGT like this.
  14. THogland

THogland Back in Alaska!

Oddometer:
    Okay - sounds like we have a consensus here. Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Now, if anyone happened to be leaving Anchorage heading south towards Reno around 8/11, that'd be convenient :-)
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I crossed at least 4 times last trip. I roll up when the light says to or they wave me, flip up my helmet then dig my travel wallet out of my pocket to get my passport. There’s never any rush o matter how long the line is. I’ve never been asked to take off my flip lid, remember to take off sunglasses. Sometimes if they’re cheery I’ll ask if they want Canadian or American as a joke. Mostly I just putl one for the country I’m entering. I never say yes if they ask if I have cigars whether I do or not. I have had them go into my bags a couple of times, once the woman just pried open the roll top and stuck a hand in while leaving me inside but didn’t bother any further in the rain. The other time the guy asked me to open the cases for me and questioned whether they were all full of beer. He was confused as I was at a small border crossing to nowhere, I was from Newfoundland crossing from Quebec to Vermont on a bike registered to a different person who lived in VT. We had a good chuckle about it all and all was good, they don’t give a shit if you’re on a borrowed bike. Keep a smile on your face and an open mind and you should be good. I cross borders all the time for work, never have had any issues anywhere in the world.

As an aside personally my passports stay in my pockets at all times, I will never put them in my tank bag or carry on etc where they could be stolen.
    CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  16. mikegc

Oddometer:
    If you cross the Canadian border at Chief Mountain, Montana, and are lucky enough to be assisted by that beautiful young female border guard, don't make the mistake of asking for a full cavity body search. She's heard that one before.

Mike
    duckman44, Uke and rubline like this.
  17. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't get one of the Wes hidden stickers. I guess he ran out a few days before and only had one left that he wanted to hold onto or he didn't like me. But I managed to find the other hidden sticker and the elusive Passport stamp for Hyder. You have to drive down their driveway and let her know you would like your passport stamped. No dorm rooms to stay in at this University. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    mikegc, CavReconSGT, eemsreno and 2 others like this.
  18. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was definitely a shit show when I was there...
  19. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wes Gabe me the same thing (as in nithing! Ha). Didn't know about the Hyder stamo. Damit.
  20. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone been on the McCarthy road or old Denali hwy road this year? Heading south tomorrow and looking for options.