Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rickj, Oct 24, 2017.

1. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the main Gold Rush locations have been south of Dawson along Upper Bonanza Creek Road.
    Here's a website I found with locations, but it is not current: LINK.

Here's a Google Maps LINK where you can see plenty of mining operations going on. I also remember that there were plenty of mining operations along the Top-of-the-World highway on our 2015 ride.

We plan on stopping by on stopping by the Dredge #4 National Historic Site on our down day in Dawson City: LINK.
    Here's a great video about the tours at that dredge: LINK.
    Ozarks Rider and slane6 like this.
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links. I just thought it would be fun to ride up and see all that stuff, gives me something familiar I've been watching as a destination and thought I could ride with a group up that way just so someone can tell my family where the Bears left my bones. Lol
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've just rode up to Alaska once---but oh my what an all inclusive ride that was.
    We rode really small bikes on unpaved roads that I've yet to see anybody travel our exact route.
    We spent 3 days riding on the Kettle Valley Railroad bed as an example.
    Story here if anyone is interested. Link below.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1Alaska.htm

So this year I've almost had a hard time laying out a route and not going where I've already been--------plus the fact as in my previous ride there were routes most take that don't appeal to me.
    Yes Tuktoyaktuk will be part of the ride----------but an interesting route that you don't see hardly anybody doing is on the East side of the Continental Divide and East of the Jasper and Banff routes.
    Mostly unpaved---the "Forestry Trunk Road" ---------called other things also. And an offshoot of that route is the "Smith Dorean Rd"-------still on the East side of the Divide.
    And another off shoot from the Forestry trunk road----a track I got from Lycan1 he calls "Cadomin Cardinal River" track. He says is awesome. The Foresty trunk road goes over the highest paved pass in Canada and may not be open till June 15th ??? May have to do that on the return ??????
    Here's a ruff map of the route I'm talking about---the yellow line is it.
    There is no road that hugs the divide on the West side as close as this one does--------this is what attracts me to this route.
    Forestry Trunk Road.JPG

This is only a very small piece of routes I'm working on----and places I will visit------but I'm hoping it will be exciting.
  4. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forestry trunk road is completely in Alberta, so not sure how it goes over the highest pass in BC. Maybe highest pass in Alberta? (Highwood Pass?) If it is on the Forestry Trunk road, it would be opened exempt there is a time closure near that area for Mountain Caribou. Ends I believe in mid June?
  5. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up BDA. That 950 with 2 wheel drive is a local bike to me. CJ Designs is a stones throw from me in WI.
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected-------kind of------------the interwebs says it's the highest pass in all of Canada.
  7. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things are picking up steam with our trip planning. We are going to be almost week behind many D2D folks, maybe that will help with hotel/motel vacancies, who knows. We have decided not to camp. Please feel free to add your advice on our route if you think you can offer some help. Oh, just picked up my new bike last week and I'm in the process of building it up.

June 18- Trailering bikes to Oregon
    June 19- Trailering bikes to BELLINGHAM
    June 20- BELLINGHAM to COULEE 260 (Ride starts)
    June 21- COULEE to NELSON 200
    June 22- NELSON to BANFF 316
    June 23- BANFF to PRINCE GEORGE 410
    June 24- PRINCE GEORGE to STEWART 434
    June 25- STEWART (Salmon Glacier) to DEASE LAKE 244
    June 26- DEASE LAKE to WHITEHORSE 405
    June 27- WHITEHORSE to DAWSON 331
    June 28- DAWSON to FAIRBANKS through CHICKEN 388
    June 29- FAIRBANKS to WISEMAN 270
    June 30- WISEMAN to DEADHORSE 230
    July 1 - DEADHORSE WISEMAN 230
    July 2 - WISEMAN to FAIRBANKS 270
    July 3 - FAIRBANKS to ANCHORAGE 361
    July 4 - ANCHORAGE to VALDEZ (60 MILES TO FERRY) *366
    July 5 - VALDEZ to TOK 253
    July 6 - TOK to HAINES 438
    July 7 - HAINES FERRY (NIGHT 1)
    July 8 - FERRY FERRY (NIGHT 2) PRINCE RUBERT **461
    July 9 - PRINCE RUBERT to PRINCE GEORGE 446
    July 10- PRINCE GEORGE to LILLOOET 313
    July 11- LILLOOET to BELLINGHAM-ON ROAD ~200
    July 12- ON ROAD HOME
    July 13- ON THE ROAD HOME, IN MY BED-Whew...

** I continue to update (edit) this itinerary as it changes..

5bBzGY87RsSjt96Efy7MPA.jpg
    TreasureState, bobw, gpax and 3 others like this.
  8. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a good current resource for my trip this summer. Glad to have found one. Optimistic riding partners will probably bail between now and then so I am prepared for solo rt from southern California. Thinking about renting a truck to get some big miles behind me without loosing any enthusiasm.
    Sbushong1 and Dan Lorenze like this.
  9. rickj

Oddometer:
    Dan,

Beautiful bike! Your route is pretty similar to our planned route with a few differences. We’re not going up the Dalton, we’ll decide most stops along the way, we’ll be mostly camping, and we’re not taking the ferry on the southbound route.

Yeah, I understand the lure of the Dalton, but it comes at a heavy cost in time. I’ve only been up as far as the arctic circle marker on the Dalton and Dempster, but have never made it further than that due to time constraints. Unfortunately, being from SoCal we end up spending a lot of days just getting within striking range of BC! We had originally planned on trailering the bikes to Seattle and riding up / back from there. However, since we want to ride the Icefields Parkway, taking off from Spokane saves a day of riding.

Our last trip was pretty organized, but about 25% of our days were flexible, which worked out pretty good. There’s never enough time to see it all on one trip, but I enjoy Dawson so much that I have to spend a down day there! For our 2018 ride we’ve got several places around Dawson that we plan on checking out on our down day. In 2015 we also took another down day at Stewart, BC so we could ride up to the Salmon Glacier. Spectacular!

We’ve got our general route planned with a number of Muse-See places and a bunch of others that we’ll try to hit if it works out. The Must-See places include the Icefields Parkway, the Robert Campbell highway, Dawson, TOTWH, Kennecott Mines / McCarthy, the Denali highway, the Robert Campbell highway, the Salmon Glacier, and probably across Thompson Pass to Valdez. Optional places are Keno City, Forty Mile ghost town, Homer, Telegraph Creek, Hatcher Pass, and more. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to hit them all.

PM me with your email address if you want to see the route. Whatever route you decide on, you’ll have the ride of your life!
    WARNING - you’ll begin panning your next ride as soon as you get back!
    black 8 likes this.
  10. Dan Lorenze

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick... You're kind of in the same boat as my Dad and I, we really don't want to be gone longer than we have to and the Dalton adds 4 days to the trip to do it right (and safe) for us. But the Dalton is pretty much the main reason I want to go to Alaska, I want to get out there, stretch my legs and soak it all in, take videos and pics. It's a bummer that we can't see everything we want but we'll be ok with it. Thanks for all the good vibes.. Looking forward to it.
    Sbushong1, Hi-De-Ho and rickj like this.
  11. rickj

Oddometer:
    You'll meet many other riders or groups along the way, especially if you're camping, so you'll have lots of opportunities for riding partners if you want company. Good idea if you're going off the beaten path.

For those of us from SoCal, getting close to the good riding areas is a long ride in itself. In 2015 we just rode a few heavy days to get through CA, OR, and WA. The enthusiasm is really strong at that point, so it's not hard to do knowing that you'll be in BC in a few days.

Since we want to ride up the Alcan and return down the Cassiar, we had to move our launch point further north and chose Spokane. One of the guys in our group has more time off so he volunteered to drive the four bikes up to Spokane and back. If he can't do it for some reason, the backup plan is to have them trucked commercially up there and back. I'm really looking forward to being able to ride up through BC, Yukon and Alaska and back!
    Sbushong1, Hi-De-Ho and Dan Lorenze like this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not the number of places you see on a ride...it's the quality of the ones you take the time to see and enjoy...Alaska's not going anywhere....you can always go back. Atigun Pass and the valley is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Enjoy.

A couple of mine from last year...

IMG_1128.jpg
    DSCN1114.jpg

And a couple of Jack's (Alcan Rider)...

932216276_VDgxF-L.jpg
    932195949_oMDH6-XL.jpg
  13. rickj

Oddometer:
    Those of you that are fans of Dawson City and its history will likely enjoy the links below of some old historic videos of Dawson City.

CITY OF GOLD
    Here’s a 22 minute documentary classic film narrated by, Pierre Berton who grew up in Dawson City. It was produced in 1957, and has a lot of pictures and video from much earlier than that. It covers in detail the Klondike gold rush of 1898. It’s very cool to see what the town looked like in ’57 though. This documentary film was actually nominated for an Oscar, and did win several other awards in 1958. LINK

[EDIT] The above link is a shorter 8-minute clip from the full 22-minute film. Here's the correct link for the longer film. LINK

A 1949 STEAM ADVENTURE FROM SKAGWAY TO DAWSON (Commentary extracted from Murray Lunberg YouTube page.)
    This is a low-res scan of a 52-minute "home movie" which was shot on professional 16mm film, not the usual 8mm. Our mystery woman begins her travels in Skagway. People along Broadway are seen, and the old suspension bridge across the Skagway River. She then goes on the White Pass & Yukon Route railway to Bennett and Carcross, to Ben-My-Chree on the sternwheeler Tutshi, back on the train to Whitehorse and finally, and on the sternwheeler Casca which takes her down the Yukon River to Dawson City. LINK

A short list and commentary on the above video can be seen at this website: LINK

Enjoy!
    lazyazz, slane6, Hi-De-Ho and 8 others like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    All this Alaska planning is making me envious of your trip Rick... I didn't get to see Kennicott Mines and will have to settle by living vicariously through your adventure until I go back sometime in or after 2019...

For now I'm set for a trip back east early next year; I'm thinking a trip to Mile 0 in Key West and if I have enough time head up north along US-17 to capture some old memories when I was stationed in Jacksonville, NC...

Rudy
    Hi-De-Ho and rickj like this.
  15. rickj

Oddometer:
    I made a mistake!

Here's the actual 22-minute documentary. The one I originally posted above was an 8-minute clip made from this longer film. LINK

Extract from the 2015 review of this film:
    "City of Gold relates the history of the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush. The origins of the film lie in the 1949 discovery of several hundred Klondike era photographs in Dawson City, Yukon Territories. These images, preserved on 8X10 glass plate negatives, had been stored and forgotten in a sod roof cabin, and were only found by chance upon its demolition. They were largely the work of A.E. Hegg, an American photo-journalist and entrepreneur, who captured the ferment of the Gold Rush with extraordinary vividness."
    Hi-De-Ho, eemsreno, Meritlane and 2 others like this.
  16. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link
    That was great!
  17. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I joined the ranks of ADV years ago just to read about the long haul riders up in AK. Well now it's time for this inmate to make the trip :clap - be it a bit unorthodox. Being a seasonal employee I have June and July to be a proper dirt bag. I've spent the last 5 summers living out of the van in CO and riding every bit of stoke I can find. I feel like I have my masters in CO and want to continue my ADV education in AK :evil
    I like to drive, I like to camp out of the van and I love the feeling of exploration - AK should check all the boxes.

But I'm a glamper not a long haul rider......... Home is in fact where ya park it.
    [​IMG]

It's difficult for this flatlander to get my head around the distances but figure I can cover more with 4 wheels than 2. It will also Mrs Manfu and Dogmanfu to join in on the ADV. Here's a map of my way up there. Planning on haulin ass up to maximize time "in country" and a more chill pace returning - no hurry to get back to the heat of August pre-season.
    How realistic is 6 days from Daytona to Dawson? And would it be foolish would it be to bring a van to D2D?

[​IMG]

I'm just starting to pick some hard targets where I can camp a few days and ride the area then move on. If anyone has some suggestions for off road stoke please pass it along. I'll ride anything from single track stoke to ATV trails. Brewery intell is bonus :beer

I'll have the little cube running and plan on sharing my experience via Youtube. Join along by subscribing to my channel or following my RR in the Florida Regional Section. Here's typical vid from the Colorado Dirt Bike and Brew Tour 2017. And you can see a RR in my sig line.

rubline and Dan Lorenze like this.
  18. Dan Lorenze

Oddometer:
    Colemanfu, I also spend quite a bit of time in Colorado. Every August we ride with a big group and ride places like Crested Butte, Lake City, Gunnison, Ouray etc on our small bikes.

As far as your Daytona to Dawson goes, I have a couple of friends on GS's that ride up to 1000 miles a day, no problem. lol So, I think it's very possible for you to do a couple of long days like that if you had to.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  19. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I see guys headed north with departure dates, daily routes with campground or motels at the end of the day, and more daily details.
    IF I go, I don't know when I will leave, exactly what route I'll be going, or where I'll be at the end of the day.
    How screwed am I???
    :dunno

I realize AK us a big place, there is a busy tourist season and all. If I'm flexible enough to camp or motel, will I be able to find a spot for the night?
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're not screwed and, yup, you should be able to find accommodations, especially if you don't mind camping.

When I went in '16, my wing-man and I had no motel reservations and we were prepared to camp, if necessary. I'd call ahead two or three days prior to our arrival and we never had an issue finding a room. 2017 was different. There were definitely more people on the road. My wing-man's wife flew into Fairbanks and was with us for a little over 4 weeks so I reserved all rooms prior to departure. It worked out just fine. For the '18 trip, I'll make a few reservations in the more traveled areas but, mostly, I'll wing it.

Mike