Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Great camping advise from you! Thank you. I shall be riding a 2005 KTM 950 (carb) with standard touring set up. What I am concerned about is how to charge all the electronic gadgets (ie. camera, video, laptop, camping light and heated vest etc.) without bring the bike's charging system down.
  2. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, being warm helps a lot if I want to enjoy the trip. I am still debating if I need to bring heated vest or just more layers of clothes. The KTM 950 doesn't seem to give out too much charging power.
  3. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I hate to sound too dogmatic about anything, but get a heated vest. You won't need it all, or probably (maybe) not even a majority of the time up north, but you will need it at some point, and you will be a safer rider when you're not shivering or hunched into yourself thinking about how cold you are when your attention needs to be focused on the surroundings. DAMHIK
    And I recommend heated grips.
    When you really need it, you won't be using any of the other devices anyway.
    And opportunities for charging them will abound when you hunker down somewhere warm for the night.
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From our trips up North (and returning again this July)

Equipment to repair a flat tire
    If you carry bear spray it has to be the large can otherwise it is illegal
    Good rain gear
    At least a heated vest or coat
    Good boots (because it can get so friggin cold we wear Danner semi-insulated boots, not our motorcycle boots as they are too cold)
    Bears can be a pain but they usually retreat (we had one that did not, we retreated)
    Lots of memory on the camera
    AlCan Highway is boring, do the Cassiar Highway
    Make sure your buddies' bike insurance is good in Canada
    Have a permission slip from the owner with owner phone number (and registration of the bike, proof of insurance)
    We carry a SPOT but we ride some of the dirt back roads and you can go a long way before you see someone.
    Never pass up fuel..
    Be careful not to get too tired... because of abundant daylight you drive way too long
    It is a wonderful place.. don't miss it
  5. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Duly noted with thanks.
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have checked with US border control about the permission letter from owner. Actually they even have a sample letter to download.
    Other pointer duly noted with thanks.
  7. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of those you won't charge at the same time. You'll likely have one or two charging ports wired to the battery, and rotate the devices needing charging. Plus, they don't pull very much power to charge their little batteries. The heated clothes pull more, but even they come with a 5 amp fuse, so it's not much. Your lights pull more, and up in AK you have long hours of daylight.

Auto parts stores here sell a SAE cigarette lighter plug that can be used in a trailer hitch to give you cig lighter option at the back of your truck. That same one also works in a Battery Tender plug. I use one of those, and then a 1->2 cig adaptor run into my saddlebag (pannier). You can stick a USB socket into one cig lighter, and leave the other as is. Can charge all your small devices easily this way by rotating them as needed at stops. You can do this with no changes to your borrowed KTM.

BTW, you're going to have a great trip!
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never have to charge anything while riding. Everyplace I stop for breakfast, lunch, dinner, campground, motel, have power outlets. The only thing I ever charge at those places is a 20,000 mah Anker Power bank. I use it to charge everything else as needed. I tried using a USB outlet for charging stuff in the past but got rid it. Less stuff to worry about and clutter up my bike.

31MnmAEjDaL.jpg
  9. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For charging on the go, I have 2 options. One is a USB port (2 x 2.1A) inside the tankbag so that I can charge a 17Ah Power bank while I ride. I chose Li-Ion instead of Li-Poly because the Li-Ion cells are much safer and resist vibrations better. Should that connection fail, I also have a cig lighter socket which I can use with a 12V car usb adapter. I was able to fully charge my tablet, phone, SJCam action camera batteries and wireless headset every night.

Tankbag wiring: http://www.gearscanada.com/motorcycle/power-mounts/luggage-power-connector-pak-1.html

Bike connector: GEN X 3 FEMALE COAX PANEL MOUNT CABLE

Wire from tankbag to bike connector: Gen X 3 EXTENSION CABLE

I cut-off one of the plugs inside the tank bag and wired-in a dual USB output. I can charge rain or shine.
  10. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I like to take pictures, lots of them. So these are my charging/power requirements with different charging ports:
    1. Canon 6D battery 4.2V
    2. Samsung J5 mobile 4.2V USB
    3. Sony handicam 4.2V USB
    4. Laptop 20V. 75watt
    5. Heated garment 12V
    6. Garmin GPS 276C cig plug
    7. Camping LED head light 3.7V
    8. DJI Mavic Air 12V 28Wh

So I got myself one of this inverter and also cig plug with USB charging port.
    upload_2018-2-8_13-4-31.png

But it is still a headache to carry all these different charger on a bike. The 950 output 450W @6000rpm, so if I use it smartly, I think I am ok when riding. Correct me if I am wrong.
  11. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Powerbank is a great thing if all can be charged via USB
  12. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is what I have in mind. To set up charging inside my tankbag.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The only thing I might have with me that can't be charged from my little power pack is a small laptop. If it needs a charge I just plug it in when I stop for the night. If there's no power at a campsite....oh well....it'll have to wait.

I"m not even bringing a laptop with me on my next trip this summer...only my iPhone and a little Nikon AW130...for me it's a liberating feeling leaving all the gizmos and distractions at home.

But each to their own :thumb

14. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Aerostitch people sell an electric bib. Anything but a street sportbike should be able to support that. You wouldn't have to mess with a controller like more powerful electric stuff needs either. You can also charge stuff when not using the heat. DC chargers are easy to come by. I like BMW plugs, but whatever's handy would serve. There's a lot of adapters if you do end up with different plugs.

Where your going I'd like heated grips too. But it's not easy as that. Unless there's something new, epoxy is the only glue that can stand the heat. Does your friend want to deal with grips that don't want to come off when their worn out? Don't have them on my bike, but did try a snowmobile that did. Unbelievable, they was. They don't take much power either.

What electricity does, is allow your body to keep your hands and feet warm cause your core is being taken care of. It at least delays freezing your ass off. Usually its enough to make the difference. My guess is you'll see a lot of cold mornings and fairly warm afternoons.
    TreasureState and Tewster2 like this.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I like a heated jacket liner...my arms are in the wind a bit and tend to get cold....when my arms are warm, my hands, with the addition of heated grips, stay nice and comfortable.

I use the Oxford grips...plug and play and great quality....only about $80 so if they wear out in a few years NP cutting them off and replacing....be sure to throw away the glue that comes with them and use good epoxy :thumb
  16. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My mornings include close proximity to a coffee source. Even though I camp, I have strategically spaced points along my route that have an area to camp and once packed for the day only require a short ride to breakfast, coffee and facilities to evacuate the previous days intake.
    Twojump36 and Tewster2 like this.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    We will get along just fine :thumb
    68vette and djroszina like this.
  18. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an old Gerbing shirt, it really put out the heat. That thing could just about burn you. But it felt clammy on low power, and it took up a lot of room when not in use. But it was something when it was cold.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The jacket I have looks like a varsity high school jacket....keeps me very warm and I wear it off the bike as a casual jacket....one thing that serves two purposes :thumb

gerbing-heated-jacket-liner-12v-motorcycle-3.gif.jpeg
  20. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    When I bought my BMW, I splurged on Aerostich's Sphere of Paradoxness which creates a bubble around me and the bike. It's at a constant 72°F and the humidity is adjusted automatically. Keeps the rain, bugs and mud off me and my bike. I can ride in a polo shirt, Docker shorts and sandals in any weather. Keeps the bears away too and I don't need to pack a tent. The bikes seat and backrest are not heated, of course, but they have the turbo massage with 7 speeds and massage patterns including happy ending. Aerostich's new Keurig ADV 2.5 fits nicely in the tankbag along side the bagel toaster. The miniature satellite dish is mounted on Ram's servo aiming system so the signal is clear while pounding away on gnarly single-tracks. It sounds extravagant, but I have to keep track of the markets on the iPad while negotiating Engineer Pass or Khardung La.

I really love roughing it.
    slane6, inverted and boatpuller like this.