Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is downright stone age barbaric. You really need to modernize...must be a really old Aerostich catalog you ordered from. Wormhole transportation has been out for ages, geese, lol.
    GSAnderson likes this.
  2. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    You are not wrong about not having too much gizmos. Most of the items I need to bring are for my photography use. Alaska for me is a once in a life time experience. Unlike it is someone else's backyard. :rofl
  3. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Very good idea. I have done the same before. :lol2
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I guess deciding on what to bring is very personal and a balancing act.
  5. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice jacket you have. Mine looks like an underwear and may not meet the dress code of Alaska. :imaposer
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I like your sarcastic remarks. May the force be with you. :norton
    inverted likes this.
  7. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I heard there’s a new Garmin model coming out. It’s called the “Latte”. It’s only for BMWs and has a Starbucks coffee menu and location finder. It should be out just in time for the grand opening of the Tuk store and cafe.
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also heard that the new bmws come with a 70 inch TV....that way if the bike is too complicated to start or a computer goes down and will take 8 months to repair you can sit and watch hours of boring on-bike video of trees going by and a slide show of Starbucks from all over the world :lol3
  9. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Now that’s a “smart” tv.
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Now back to the OP's thread....I'll soon have my updated GPS database of food/lodging/fuel/motels/campgrounds/bike maint and many other POI's that inmates have recommended over the years for the lower 48/Canada/Alaska posted. I'll put a link here when it's ready for those of you wanting the stuff.
    inverted and GSAnderson like this.
  11. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    That will be very much appreciated. Thanks !:clap
  12. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I just updated my GPS, I bought 3 Butler maps and a new Rand McNally road atlas. Nothing like pouring over a spread out map with a cup or two of coffee on a cold and snowy winter day. On a side note, by the time I’ve acquired all my spares and tools for the bike, they will take up more room and weigh more than anything else. My 1150GS spoiled me. It was 13 years oil and on my last AK trip I didn’t carry a single spare except for a tire plugging kit which wasn’t needed...stupid lucky.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I use the AAA maps....I've found them to be really nice. With my AAA membership I can get an updated new map each year of every place I'll be going.

I then cut out only the areas I need on each map...no need to carry the whole map.
    That way they pack much smaller. I took an atlas one time and cut out only the pages I wanted...worked good but the AAA maps are much more detailed.

If I decide to go
    somewhere else while in the road I just adapt and overcome...easy.
  14. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    And with you. Lots of good advice on this thread. You are going to have a great ride.
  15. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed my trips in 3 main stages. Planning, execution and remembrance. More bangs for the bucks, so to speak. :lol3

Consumable parts is a must bring and simple tools required to do the job. Other situations will just have to improvise:dirtdog
  16. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I joined AAA in 1991 when I tour USA for the first time. Their maps are amazing but a bit bulky. Now there is Google maps, all I need is a smart phone and a SIM card.
  17. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have learnt a lot here. Thanks for all the contribution. I am all excited about this long awaited trip. Now, I need to get your government to grant me a tourist visa so I can move on. :mully
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep that’ll work too. For me there’s something I like about opening a map and being able to look at a big overview of where I’m going. I can’t do that on my phone. Plus when I stop in the mornings for breakfast and spread my map open on the table, all kinds of folks come over to talk to me about my trip and give me advice about where I’m headed. Will never happen if I’m sitting there looking at my phone.
  19. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Here is an old timer talking....body language! I had very good experiences with the good folks of S. America even when I stopped at a crossroad looking puzzled. :hmmmmm
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  20. djroszina

Oddometer:
    So when others travel and stop with you for breakfast, do you go off on them for leaving coffee cup rings and pie crumbs on your map while they’re forced to try and follow along reading the map upside down??? Lol.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.