Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wifi is everywhere if you only need to check the web
  2. GeoAdventure

GeoAdventure Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tim - One of these days you really should get out to the great PNW. I am hoping to leave Whidbey Island and travel through the Olympic National Forest on as much gravel roads as possible. head up Vancouver Island to Comox, jump over to Powell River to Horseshoe Bay and up the valley on 99 to 97. Take 97 North to Alaska this year or next year. Or at least in the near future. Enjoy your circus, it sounds like you have a lot of folks trying to hook up. If you ever get out this way you will have a landing pad to stop at, service your bike and continue on. I enjoy or posting and video. I pass the word to everyone (who enjoys bikes) to check it out. It really what bikes are all about.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey much appreciated! I will surely get to the PNW one day soon and when I do I'll be sure to give you a buzz. Thanks for coming along with me on my vids and ride reports. Love doing them and the positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks again.
    Bacca likes this.
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    For the pass few days was the Chinese New Year celebrations. It is the most important festival for Chinese just like your Christmas where family and friends gather to celebrate the Lunar new year. This year is the year of the Dog. I'd like to take this opportunity to wish our inmates a wonderful new year, many safe and adventurous travels and excellent health! :photog

upload_2018-2-20_11-35-17.png
    Motomantra, rickj, GSAnderson and 3 others like this.
  5. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I contacted US Mobile and they did a search on the phone I have and it is not compatible for use in the US (see link below). Is there a phone rental service available? Buying one just for 2 months seems too expensive.
    https://www.frequencycheck.com/comp...j5-6-duos-td-lte-galaxy-j5-2016/united-states
  6. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have cheap Trac phones that are pay by the month. The only issue is service availability in remote areas.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'm with ATT....when I cross the Canadian border I turn of data and call over wifi for my normal calls...wifi is everywhere....if I don't have wifi I don't make a normal call, it can wait....if I need to make an EMERGENCY call I just call...ATT will charge me $2.50 for the call....simple and easy.
  8. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think what he is saying his phone, being from a foreign carrier, is not compatible with North American networks.
  9. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I had a breif look at Tracfone. It claims to have better coverage than single service provider (i.e. AT&T, Verizon etc.) See below:
    https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-does-a-trac-phone-work

Do you think it is a good idea just bring my own smart phone for wifi connection use and buy/rent a Tracfone for emergency voice call?
    Tewster2 likes this.
  10. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    That is good practice, only if my phone works with the US SIM card.
  11. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased an Android phone to be used as a backup phone if I break my iPhone and mostly because I needed an Android phone to run MotoScan for my BMW Motorcycle. The Android phone cost me $40 from Walmart. I was able to toss on some other apps, setup facebook, email, etc. The SIM that comes with it is called a "pre-paid" one. This means it's fairly cheap to put some voice and data service on it without a contract. I also pulled the SIM from my iPhone, put it in the Android phone and it worked just fine. Of course both of my phones are on the same carrier. I happen to use AT&T. Other carriers have pre-paid options also. My wife is OLD SKOOL and uses flip phones. She just purchases pre-paid flip phones for like $20 and puts in her regular SIM. Cheap way to replace her phones as she has a tendency to wash them by accident.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  12. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. $40 to get an Android phone as a backup phone sounds reasonable. I can still use my HK phone when there is Wifi. As for SIM card, how do you feel about AT&T coverage? The last time I used AT&T back in 2011 they were not so great.

By the way, don't laugh at your wife washing her phone, I'd washed my passport when I was in S. America and all of the border control officers had a hard time reading how many countries I have visited. :cromag
  13. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an AT&T phone AND a Verizon MiFi unit for years when I worked. Each worked well with some better than others depending on where I was. What I can say is AT&T and Verizon are better than Sprint or T-Mobile. Most other offerings are just overlays of someone elses network so I'd check before using another carrier. I'd suggest looking at coverage maps for the carriers to see where they offer service. For example AT&T and Verizon only have service around Fairbanks south in Alaska and both have crappy coverage in northwest Canada. I plan on using my phone with WiFi for the most part and I carry a Garmin inReach satellite tracker to text with my wife, provide tracking and SOS emergency help.

Check this: http://www.comparecellular.com/coverage-maps/

Hope this helps!

Joe
  14. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you Joe for sharing your experience. Now I know where to look. :thumb
  15. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's important to note that once you are a few miles/kilometers outside of any town North of Fort Nelson, British Columbia (on the Alaska Highway), there is no cell service. Purchasing an emergency cell phone is a waste of money. If you have an emergency in an area where there is cell service and you need to call 911, your HK phone should almost certainly work because you don't need a cell phone service provider to call 911, you only need a cell phone that is in range of a cell tower. If you're broken down anywhere on the highway in Northern British Columbia, the Yukon Territory or Alaska, you won't be alone for long. Someone will stop and help you. You can be sure of that. There are hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles going to Alaska every year via the Alaska Highway as well as the Stewart Cassiar highway (highway 37). You won't be alone for long. And yes, bring bear spray. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  16. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're concerned about bears (and you should be) take an hour of your time and watch this YouTube video. This guy is an expert on bears and their behaviour.
    djroszina likes this.
  17. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Points well taken, thank you.
    I have watched the video till the end. Very good talk, I'll recommend viewing this vid to anyone who has little experience with bears and love being with nature.

When it comes to bear spray, I believe Canada and Alaska have different laws about this. So do I need to buy different bear spray after I entered different country? Or is there a spray that is acceptable for both country?
  18. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will be allowed to bring the large canister of bear spray across the border from the US into Canada. Mace (pepper spray) is a problem in Canada. It's considered to be a prohibited weapon and if you're found to be in possession of the stuff, it will be a problem at the border or if you happen to be stopped by the police and they see that you have it. Bear spray is fine though. The bear spray you buy in the US will be fine to bring into Canada.
  19. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    That is great, I'll do most of my shopping while in the lower 48.:lol3
  20. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Food for thought. Bear spray is effective at 15' and less. Also works poorly into wind. Do you want to get that close? It also can't be discharged safely in a tent.

An air horn is a viable alternative deterrent which works at a distance and in confined spaces. There are bigger creatures than bears that cause more problems for humans. Most bears will scatter. Moose on the other hand...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk