Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the question becomes, why isn't the bear expert recommending a "bear horn"?
  2. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont know about a bear horn, but I wouldn't mind a beer horn!

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Ox-Ho...19777003&sr=8-3&keywords=viking+drinking+horn

[​IMG]

Bears are realistically not a hazard, we just perceive them to be.

"Moose outnumber bears nearly three to one in Alaska, wounding around five to 10 people in the state annually. That's more than grizzly bear and black bear attacks combined [source: Smith]." https://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/dangerous-moose.htm

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    GSAnderson likes this.
  3. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    I woild lime a copy of that
  4. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Or I would like a copy of that
    bobw and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  5. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I think every Alaskan have their own perception of risk concerning bear/large wildlife. I think it all comes down to respect. We are visiting their domain and have to play according to their rules. :D
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Interesting beer horn. I'll be looking forward to see one when I am there.:photog
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modern travelers may find this rather shocking -- but for a good many decades we used to travel up and down the Alaska Hwy/Alcan, as well as all the other roads in the far north, in all seasons -- without any communication aids. And we survived just fine. In fact, this lack helped us to meet strangers, as we had to converse with them face-to-face using our voices to obtain information. Made for a rather pleasant trip. :D

Also, as Tewster2 mentioned earlier, it's only on highways like the Dalton or Dempster that you really will need to haul extra fuel. For the rest, we just recommend that you "ride on the top half of your tank". In other words, when the gauge reads just half full, it's time to look for a gas station. For the majority of bikes, if it looks like you have a long way to go before you can get more fuel, slow down. On most of my bikes I can add around 15 mpg by just dropping to ~40 to 45 mph. Be aware too that heavy rain will generally cause you to use more gas and throw your calculations off.

Those who have never traveled to Alaska seem to display a bit of "bearphobia". In dozens of trips back and forth I have yet to be bothered by a bear. There have been times when brakes had to be applied firmly to avoid one (or more) while they were also trying to avoid any contact with me. Quite a few seen alongside the road - one grazing within 5 feet of my handlebars as I zipped past. And one I had to chase away from the road by heading straight at it while standing up on the pegs and beeping the horn. But moose are by far a greater danger. Even bears don't mess with them, and as Marcham warns, they cause more injuries and deaths by far than bears.

Your greatest danger by far will be city traffic. Wild animals are much, much safer to deal with.
    rickj, Tewster2, bobw and 2 others like this.
  8. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    You are not wrong here. Modernization has turned us weaker and less sociable. However, I am still shamelessly longing for a bit of creature comfort on the long lonesome highway and let my loved ones know that I am still kicking.:clap

From Google map, I learnt that the Dalton or Dempster is marked "private road" that by law one must proof sufficient "backup" is available before being allowed to travel on it. Is that the case? I am travelling by myself so do I need to team up with someone?

I have a lot of experience riding around Asia, so I think I am ok with city traffic. It is comforting to know that wildlife post less danger then human.
  9. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neither road is private. The Dalton was, briefly, for a few years after its construction, but has been public for around 30 years. Most of my trips up and down the Dalton have been solo, and frequently all night (only by the clock - plenty of daylight - see examples below) so I can enjoy the solitude and lack of traffic. Just ride cautiously, there's no need to hurry.

Taken a few minutes past midnight as I was gassing up in Deadhorse -
    [​IMG]

2:45 AM on the north side of the Brooks Range -
    [​IMG]

2:00 AM on the north side of Atigun Pass, facing north -
    [​IMG]

I suspect that, if the weather cooperates, you'll enjoy it. :D

Edited to add: Please note that the times cited are Alaska Daylight Time, which is actually two hours ahead of the sun. So 2:00 AM would be with the sun just about due north. As you can see, there will be no worries about traveling after dark north of Fairbanks. :D
    Bacca, Migolito, MotoSkipper and 5 others like this.
  10. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow, I have no idea it is so beautiful. I was expecting riding through the tundra with very little scenic view. This was due to my experience of riding through Tibet at high altitude (15. 500 feet or above). Thank you for letting me visualize what its like. Google maps seems to be out dated by a few decades. :dirtdog
  11. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s it, I am hitting the Dalton in the wee hours, that is too beautiful to miss.
    powderzone, franki and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip that way this summer too. Very informative thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  13. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    This thread may be the most up-to-date info on BC and Alaska. I am very thankful for all the inputs.
    Stay with us and we may meet on the road this summer. :beer
    nickgindy likes this.
  14. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome. We are planning on traveline June 15 through July 15.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  15. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

I am departing Reno end June. So you will be ahead of me. May be we can meet up when you are on your way down while I am going north?
  16. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I am down for that.
    franki likes this.
  17. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be Cincinnati to Prudhoe Bay and back June 1 through mid July.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  18. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    We have a very good chance to meeting each other sometime in July. :beer
    slane6 likes this.
  19. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ill be right on your tail, leaving Milwaukee June 5th. Are you taking the western route up or the Alcan.
    slane6 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  20. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going up the Alcan and back on the western route.
    https://trips.furkot.com/ts/pyErZ7

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    franki and GSAnderson like this.