Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No new laws, just better clarification for border agents ... it specifically has to do with knives that open automatically or partially automatically (spring / gravity / fling assist)

The US also has crazy knife laws, at least ours are the same province to province.

Colorado bans knives over 3.5", some states ban gravity knives, some ban switchblades, some ban belt knives ... it's not like there's a sign advertising what's prohibited when crossing state lines.

Your typical multi tool, swiss army and folding knives are still very welcome!

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html (para 18)

and

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html
  3. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Noted with thanks.
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Very good advise, thank you.
  5. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advise. Sharing experience is very important as this will give me a scenario to gauge upon.
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks guy for the discussion of spray and knives.

For sure I shall be carrying a larger can of bear spray that is legal for both countries and a folding knife.:bmwrider
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As soon as I read a post about near spray or guns in a post I roll my eyes and move one....these two subjects have been argued about and discussed about a TRILLION times here on the forum. I gonna do a search for the best tires now :lol3
    Folly1 and slane6 like this.
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    While a down sleeping bag is great in dry winter weather, you might want to reconsider bringing one on this trip. During the summer, cool (cold to many from southern climes) weather is usually associated with rain/high humidity. Down will only keep you warm for so many nights if it isn't well aired out, i.e. tumbled in a dryer or hung out in the breeze on a warm, sunny day. Synthetic-filled bags will handle a lot more moisture while still keeping you warm. You would probably be surprised at how much you perspire even when you are feeling cold. Many years ago, when on winter maneuvers (U. S. Army) we found that in order to keep our double down sleeping bags from freezing to our air mattresses at -30 to -35°C we had to put a wool blanket between the two.

While I have several down bags as well as several synthetic bags, I won't use a down bag until the temperature is well below freezing. A good, insulating mattress under the bag is the most important. Newer synthetic-filled bags are not that much heavier than down ones, and only a little bulkier when compressed in a carrier bag.
    boatpuller and Tewster2 like this.
  9. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shit, Tim... lol It's too much
    Tewster2 likes this.
  10. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the folding knives... From the sounds of it, my Kershaw knife with the thumb knobs on the blade is banned..
    Bummer
  11. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    This brings up the subject of the newer down now being used. They've treated it to resist moisture. I have no experience with it, but am wondering if anyone can say if it's better than what Alcan Rider is talking about.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as it’s not that down that’s treated with snake oil...lol

I’ve had down bags for over 30 years. My latest is a Mountain Hardwear that has a goretex style outer shell and welded seams making it highly resistant to water intrusion from the outside. Now moisture given off from a persons body is a different story, but truth be told, I’ve never saturated a bag to the point it was compimised from the inside. And this includes a week of setting up in the rain for almost a week in AK in 2006, it was a day in day out rain event.
  13. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I backpack hunt in the fall and if I'm going to be in heavy rain, I'll take the 15 degree Marmot synthetic bag... the down bag I have is also a 15 degree bag and I use it for the dry hunts.. the down bag stuffs better too. It really packs well but way more money. Down is useless if it gets wet.

I think if I was doing a trip to Alaska on the bike and camping with a better than average chance of rain.... I'd take the synthetic bag...though my bags are not gore tex.... JMO
  14. AKDreadnaught

AKDreadnaught Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I completely agree with this. As Alaskan, I’ve learned that moisture is a killer. My go to sleeping bag is a Wiggy’s. You can crawl into a Wiggy’s soaking wet and sleep warmly. In fact, you will wake up dry. Your body heat will evaporate the water through the night and the bag breathes well enough to let the moisture out. It is a bit bulky but worth the bit of extra weight and bulk.
  15. AKDreadnaught

AKDreadnaught Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take it from a guy who drives that road and others in Alaska a lot: You may have light but your chances of an animal strike are elevated. Also, the traffic is less, so should something happen, you’ll wait longer for help. At night, it takes longer for emergency services to spool up and react. Fuel stations aren’t open. Should a mishap take you off the road far enough, you may not be found....ever.

All of this is strictly precautionary, it kind of used ro be a free country. It is special at the twilight.
    Dan Lorenze and djroszina like this.
  16. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I deffinatly appreciate the heads up. Because I would be prioritizing photo oppertunities and not being on a "gotta be there by a certain time" I would be just moseying allong and taking it easy.
  17. tutos

tutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving the Seattle area on June 11th headed to Dawson City via Cassiar Hwy. My riding buddy just decided not to go due to family concerns. If you want to meet up and possibly ride some together, let me know. I have toured Alaska, Yukon, and BC several times.
  18. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I will be in Terrace the 12th, Hyder the 13th and Watson Lake the 14th headed to Dawson and then up to Tuk.
  19. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your advise and comment about the sleeping bag I should carry. I have decided on a envelop type 700 gram Teflon coated waterproof goose down sleep bag rated for -5C . If I get cold, I can always wear warmer clothes inside. A good waterproof tent and a nice mattress.
  20. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    My way of travel too. :*sip*