Alaska 2018 summer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, Jan 31, 2018.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    My travel schedule will be crossing into Canada around July 10 and visit a few friends in Vancouver. Then make my way via Lake Louise, Jasper NP then head north towards Anchorage. It would be nice to meet up someone on the road, condition permits. :beer
  2. tutos

tutos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving the Seattle area on June 11th headed to Dawson City via Cassiar Hwy. My riding buddy just decided not to go due to family concerns. If you want to meet up and possibly ride some together, let me know. I have toured Alaska, Yukon, and BC several times.
  3. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks for reposting your message. Your departure time is way ahead of mine and I can't change my dates. So I hope I can bump into you somewhere up north.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should be crossing into Canada at Glacier around June 10 or so. I'll be riding pretty slow looking around. You'll probably catch up with me near Deese Lake on the Cassiar. Look for a white DR650 with a white (it's been with me many miles so it's now a bit grey) Khata tied on the back.
  5. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are leaving from a town called "Custer", near Blaine WA close to the border on June 17. We'll be cruising through Banff and Jasper on the 20th, also headed up the Cassiar.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh ok, I thought you guys were gonna be at D2D around the 20th.
  7. Dan Lorenze

Oddometer:
    We kind of wanted to stay away from the crowds and plus our ferry ride from Haines to Prince Rupert adjusted everything in our trip since that ferry only runs on certain days. :(
    Tewster2 likes this.
  8. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what is the draw of taking the ferry vs riding back. Is it easier and relaxing or is it that there are spectacular views?
  9. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a hundred miles south of Prince Rupert the inside passage is narrow, and is as scenic as it gets. Don't have to keep a bike on the road looking at it either.
    Migolito likes this.
  10. Dan Lorenze

Oddometer:
    Yes! All the above. Our schedule is pretty ambitious and we consider this a nice departure from being on the run for a couple of weeks. I'm gonna get some good cigars and enjoy the views. I realize it's not for everybody but we're pretty exited about it.
    djroszina likes this.
  11. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I took a look at the ferry schedule between Haines and Prince Rupert. It seems the southbound voyage takes longer than northbound. Anyone know the reason why? Less port of call? It is also cheaper fare for the northbound voyage ($594 vs $660) Is the view the same? I am think of taking the northbound voyage because it is cheaper.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could it be ocean currents? Going with the current is easier and faster saving a lot of fuel compared to fighting it.
  13. Dan Lorenze

Oddometer:
    I have no idea... Hmmm..
  14. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'd suggest to ride up and take the ferry down. it makes more sense from a road adventure point of view. also, having a relaxed boat ride after a sometimes strenuous ride is a nice finish.
    i'd take the ferry all the way to bellingham (that one doesn't stop in prince rupert).
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  15. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The view would be the same, but at different hours. Could end up being better or worse. Booking during a full moon is nice.

BC ferries run from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert. The Alaska Marine ferry system goes from Bellingham WA to Haines AK. Prince Rupert is the only port where they both stop.

I have rode BC ferry's twice to Prince Rupert and really liked it. Having said that, starting from Bellingham instead of Port Hardy would save me two days. Usually BC ferries charge a little less, but getting from Bellingham to Port Hardy costs money too. There's no real savings on the inside passage. As always, buy your tickets the winter before, and the sooner the better. They usually start selling in January.

If you take the boat north, you ride out at your own pace. If you take the boat home, your tied to a date, which may or may not work out good. That's why I rode the boat north.
  16. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    The inside passage should have less current and wave action than the open sea. My logic. :lol3
  17. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Look at a globe. If you're heading southbound it's uphill due to the curvature of the earth, the boat has to work harder. Northbound is slightly downhill and therefore faster... ;)
    slane6, Folly1, froger and 1 other person like this.
  18. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Turn the globe over, it's upside down.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  19. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:
    I live in Fairbanks and have a couple of rooms to rent, and tent space with cooking and bathroom and garage space if needed.
    This is a great base of operations in the Interior. Just let me know how many and when... I'm lifelong Alaskan.
  20. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:

I'm considering offering a base of operations for those headed north from Fairbanks.
    If anyone is heading to Prudoe Bay etc. I have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, campsite place, near Fox (9 miles from Fairbanks) quiet and safe.
    a garage is also available. for more information contact me here. tents welcome.
    This is just an idea at this time. If I get some interest I would enjoy to host travelers.

I'm looking for feed back.... I'd enjoy hosting those summer motorcycle visitors passing through by giving them an option other than hotels and crowded campgrounds.
    Small Groups maybe 6+/- Minimum cost or even a work program if you can run a chain saw....
    Strictly motorcycles and bicycles (maybe a support vehicle).
    slane6 and Trasch like this.