Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip to Alaska in June/ July 2019.
    I know its too soon but let me know if anyone is up for it. I did the trip in 2017 so I know the route and what to take and have the list already made. Planning on 3 weeks and I will be leaving from Toledo, OH area. I will be riding Honda Africa Twin. We can work the planning and logistics later.

Thanks
    Mr Head, godzuki, shapemaster and 4 others like this.
  2. g2sc2

g2sc2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Seriously thinking of the same but leaving a little earlier. Late May riding most of June from central TX. Post your list to compare againt what I have.

Thanks
  3. Bigsmokindaddy

Bigsmokindaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to attach the items list but don't know how to do it. If you send me your email I can email the file to you.
  5. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, where will you be leaving from and what will you be riding
  6. Bigsmokindaddy

Oddometer:
    Leaving from Chicago. 2015 Tiger Explorer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Baccadon likes this.
  7. Bigsmokindaddy

Oddometer:
    A couple of questions:

1) what route are you planning?
    2) will you be doing any camping?
    3) any particular sites you want to hit?

I am a seasoned motorcyclist on a 2015 Triumph Tiger. Have traveled all over Midwest, Rockies and West Coast. Did Ecuador on motorcycles last October. Alaska is on my bucket list and there are a few points of interest I’d like to hit including Sign forest, top of the world hiway, and more. But am flexible. Wife might fly in and join me for a portion, but not for sure yet.

LMK. Thanks

8. Bigsmokindaddy

Oddometer:
    Bigsmokindaddy@yahoo.com

9. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nihon Newbie and jcwvfr like this.
  10. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone planning on staying in Fairbanks. Check out the University of Alaska Dormitory. You can get a room there for under $40 per night. Free laundry nice showers. Super 8 there was $175. GPS coordinates N 64° 51.516 W 147° 49.775. It's up on a hill. Roads under construction so it might be tricky to get there. I came in from the back (north side).
  11. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks will keep that in mind
  12. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How was your trip?
    Have you looked at the route to Alaska? What are you planning and how many days/ weeks.
    Also Alaska highway is paved and quite a few miles of Dalton are paved too.
  14. Aperion

Aperion Johnny the Cider, the KLR Rider.

Oddometer:
    I live in Anchorage, AK. In 2019 I am planning a ride from Anchorage to Dawson city and back to Anchorage around the area of summer solstice (21 June) to attend Dust 2 Dawson. If you never heard of the event I would suggest to look it up. It’s an adventure motorcycler gathering with people from all over the world attending. It’s quite a good time. Many people meet there and then continue on to wherever their destination in the north is.

I also would like to plan a trip to Deadhorse that summer as well. I’m not sure totally if I can go yet but I would like to try planning. If I am bold then I would like to do it right after D2D. If I am not so bold then maybe plan it for the most optimal time during the summer.

I’m really just interested in people to ride with next summer. I have wasted a lot of my summer this year. So as you imagine I’m kind of bummed out.
    Red-hungarian likes this.
  15. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    My trip was too short! Could've easily stretch it out to 3 weeks to be able to see everything. But i'm saving my vacation time for Alaska next year. I'm thinking at least 3-4 weeks for the Alaska ride. I just ordered the Milepost 2018 edition to help with my planning and also this wonderful site! I'm planning to camp most of the nights.
    DisqoG and Baccadon like this.
  16. krug

krug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have five weeks set aside for a trip to Alaska in 2019. I gave work a years warning that I am taking five straight weeks of vacation so plan accordingly. I have a 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R for the trip. 40 yrs of on/off road experience riding two wheeled vehicles. I have the scars to prove it.

I haven’t nailed down exact dates yet but I’m thinking Mid June timeframe leaving from southeast Michigan. I might trailer the bike out to Glacier NP/Banff with my wife and fly her home after ten days or so. She’s a nurse so getting time off with a date nailed down far in advance will be difficult. Store the car and trailer someplace while continuing up north. I want to dip a toe in Prudhoe Bay. Haven’t decided if I will seek any riding partners yet.

I’m planning on camping as much as possible but definitely will use hotels every so often.

Here’s the ride loaded for camping.

D1C67D6C-82C6-4580-8F70-D7FFE49BAFCE.jpeg
  17. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Here's my ride loaded up for the 2 week trip to Banff/Jasper.
    [​IMG]Tiger
    Baccadon likes this.
  18. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode my 1190 out there, one of the biggest issue with KTM a that I ran across on Dalton was we all have leaking front forks. So my advice will be to carry set of fork seals. Mine couldn't be fixed by just simple cleaning.
    Camping some places you may have to call ahead but also you can pay 10 bucks and camp at any gas station along Alaska highway
    Are you planning on carrying gas, you will need it from cold foot to Prudhoe bay.
    godzuki and Baccadon like this.
  19. krug

krug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My pannier racks are setup to mount a Rotopax gas tank so that will give me 1 1/2 extra gal of fuel. Good to know about the fork seals—thanks.
  20. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need any help regarding anything let me know.
    Baccadon and mroddis like this.