Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely will have at least an extra gallon of gas for the Alaska trip. My Tiger can go 200+ miles on the tank plus and extra gallon will be enough for the stretch from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay.
  2. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM 1290 in our group ended up blowing his seals out after the Dalton also. I made some homemade fork covers out of beer cozies for my WE and they actually worked. Northern Powersports had warned me a head of time that it might be an issue. I also took new seals/dust rings with me to be safe.
  3. krug

krug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two items left on my “to do” list are to get a bash plate and do something about my seat. I find the stock seat uncomfortable after two or three hours. Guls, any suggestions on 1190 seats?
  4. krug

krug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s time I learn how to replace fork seal on my 1190 then. I will have a set of seals with and maybe oil and a fork seal tool. I will make my own tools at work. I have done fork rebuilds on past machines I’ve owned (mt. bikes also) so this shouldn’t be a problem.
  5. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear bicycling shorts so that extra padding helps. I used the stock seat with bicycling shorts was ok.
    JeepDawg and krug like this.
  6. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need a mechanic in Fairbanks. Here is contact info for Dan. He is open 24/ 7 just knock on his door and he will help you. You can ship him tires and parts etc so you don't have to carry. He patched my fork seals but it didn't last.
    Dan Armstrong
    907 457 4529
    Www.advcycleworks.com
    godzuki, MrO66, VmaxChuck and 2 others like this.
  7. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Dan replaced my tires in 2013 and 2017. He also cleaned my fork seals last year and gave me many helpful tips on riding in that great State. Funny guy, just don't show up on a Honda or Harley.
    VmaxChuck likes this.
  8. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of referrals.... Rode from CO to Coldfoot, then bailed out to Anchorage instead of riding the return route after a series of unfortunate events. Shout out to Ron and Krista at Alaska Classic Motion in Anchorage who not only shipped my bike back to the states for a great rate, but they also tied up all my dirty loose ends from that ride themselves--quite literally. Twice. Good people. ^^woot :bow
    godzuki likes this.
  9. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And Dan keeps you entertained as he works on bike...... Oops I got an Africa Twin and he will be working on it at least changing tires.
    MrO66 likes this.
  10. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan on leaving Northern Michigan on or around May 20, 2019. I'll be going to Texas first to visit a cousin then to Alaska through Prince George. The three places I plan on going are Dawson City, YT (DtoD) Valdez and Homer. I might be persuaded to go as far as the Arctic Circle on the Haul Road. I'll be using a combination of camp and motel.

My last trip up was last summer 2017. I spent 5 weeks on that trip. I'll have 6 weeks this time.

It would be great to join up along the way.

KKORO
    Red-hungarian, Baccadon and Bigbob1 like this.
  11. TroyR

TroyR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in this trip. Would be leaving from Arkansas on a 2016 Vstrom.
  12. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ergo seat wasn't too bad with my 1190S.
  13. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need items list let me know and send me your email
  14. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:

He must be getting soft in his old age.:hmmmmm
  15. TroyR

TroyR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tires would you guys use once in Alaska?
  16. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're riding a lot of off-road (aka Top of the World, Dempsey or Dalton) something like Dunlop D606, TKC80, Anakee Wild, or Hidenau Scout 60 will do the job. Maybe ship them up in advance and make the trip on road or 80/20 tires. My Wild back tire barely lasted 4000 miles with my back end loaded down. Send them at least two weeks ahead, Yukon Honda and Yukon Harley in Whitehorse, Trails End BMW or Thunder Road in Fairbanks. Lots of other mc repair places depending in where you're going.
    StanBo, dukesters1 and TroyR like this.
  17. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everybody has their favorites. I rode with new Shinko 705's from L.A. to Fairbanks this year. The front looked like new and the rear lost about 50% of its tread. At Northern Powersports in Fairbanks and had reserved a set of TKC70's and then went to the Arctic Circle and home and the tires both look great with only normal wear.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  18. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the Daulton as far as the Arctic Circle and the Top of the World on street tires (Pilot Road 4) with no problems. Both days were dry so that helped. Some friends on Harleys had a rainy day on the Daulton and complained about some slick mud but they all made it to the Arctic Circle just fine.

My riding buddy did the entire trip (9400 miles) on Anakee 3 tires and still had plenty of tread when he got home.

Lots of Harleys and Gold Wings have been to Deadhorse.
  19. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the Shinko 705s for 80/20 riding. I just did almost 4k miles on a new set of 705s on my Tiger with full luggage and gear and the front is still new and the rear is at about 75% tread still.
  20. rocketman9255

rocketman9255 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning 2019 leaving around June 12th from SLC on a 2017 BMW R1200 GSA. Hoping to camp a bunch, but realize a hotel every now and then can make a trip more enjoyable. Want to ride the Top of the World, Dawson City, D2D, and Arctic Circle. Need help with details of route and list of things to take. Please email me...
    Cittac, TroyR and RedRover_CO like this.