Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sound just like me a year ago. I'll drop you a line. :deal
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm up in DeLand...been to Alaska numerous times...If you'd like to get together one day let me know...I love to answer questions and pass along what I've learned from others.
    Cittac, Folly1, rubline and 2 others like this.
  3. dukesters1

dukesters1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yukon Harley was closed last I heard. Been up the Alcan twice, got a back tire at YH in 2006. Returned in 2016 and they were closed. Don't know why, business appeared to be booming.
    RedRover_CO likes this.
  4. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to go in 19, but I’ll probably be going up towards the end of the summer. Went to DH back in 2013. Wanted to go before I turned 60. Next summer I’ll turn 65, and plan on retiring. Might be up there for my birthday in August. If I retire before I go, I’ll have more time. If I don’t, I’ll try to squeeze it into a two week vacation again. I did 10,000 miles in two weeks last time. I’d like to at least take three weeks next summer. Hoping for TUK. Will be on a 2014 GSA.. Wanted to follow along. Hope this thread turns out to be the main planning Thread for 2019.
    Jeff
    Mr Head and Cittac like this.
  5. Gotlabs

Gotlabs Killing with kindness

Oddometer:
    Watching and wanting to say "I'm in".......
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and Baccadon like this.
  6. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you guys want me to email a list of items, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you
    godzuki and Baccadon like this.
  7. Gotlabs

Gotlabs Killing with kindness

Oddometer:
    PM sent, I'll need to know the approximate dates in order to warn work, but I won't know for sure until after the first of the year.
  8. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna do it again; planning another solo trip, leaving central Orygun in early June. Needed a lower bike due to some age-related aches/pains so I traded in a Tiger 800 and came home with a new T120. Accordingly, this trip will be mostly on paved roads or maintained gravel. Been working on the bike (Givi bags, a luggage rack, 1-gallon Rotopax, skid plate, heated jacket controller, Garmin 276CX on a Ram handlebar mount, etc).

Looking forward to seeing some of the small villages in the Yukon again (Faro, Mayo), the Midnight Dome, the TOTW Highway, Denali Highway, camping at Thompson's in Tok, the Cassiar Highway; too many to list. Might visit Valdez and Circle again, too. Anchorage and surrounding areas do not appeal to me, having lived there back in the 80's.
    Baccadon likes this.
  9. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in for 2019 leaving from Ohio but probably later in the summer. Late July perhaps. I’ll keep lurking for now.
  10. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I road on a set of Mitas E07 round trip from MN to Alaska. Did the TOW highway too and still have 2k miles in them, after 10k miles.

There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  11. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also going to Alaska in the Summer of 2019. The three choices I have (minimalist first) 1) KLX250 2) GMC Yukon with bike on carrier or 3) Yukon, 20ft travel trailer (bunk house model can sleep up to 4) and bike. Right now I'm leaning toward the 2d choice. the Yukon would make camping easier without adding a bunch of extra cost for fuel by dragging the trailer along. Sometime in the middle of the trip, my wife would fly to Anchorage and take a cruise, a train trip to Denali and a visit to Christmas, AK near Fairbanks. I would need hotel rooms while my wife is around, but that's probably still cheaper than the gas needed to haul the trailer from Florida.

The only two things I'd want to insure get done without wife are Tuktoyatuk and D2D (yes, I know those are in Yukon, not Alaska.) I'd also like to go to Kennecott, but that could include her. I'm retired, so I don't need to be back to Florida until the money runs out or sticking snow.

I rode to Alaska in July of 2001, so this isn't my first trip, but I'd like to go a bit slower and see more things this time. I'd be happy to have someone join me at any time during the trip. If I take the Yukon, I can haul your stuff and make camping easier. If we do that, I'd like to take a day or two each week to come back to the same spot so I can ride. I usually plan for 200+ mile days when riding. I can do a lot more if traveling from campsite to campsite with the car. I'd also be open to camping with just the bike for a few days.

Other places I wouldn't mind seeing include Hyder and the Salmon Glacier, Prudhoe Bay, the Ice Fields Parkway and the Denali Highway between Paxson and Cantwell.

Fixed dates, wife's cruise and train trip - TBD. Departure from South Dakota - mid May. D2D - June 21 and a few days around then.

Trips are always more fun with a riding buddy or 2/3/4. Contact me if anything above interests you.
  12. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    We are planning to come to Alaska (and BC/Alberta/Yukon) in the summer of 2019. I think we'll be leaving the Netherlands about the middle of June and go to Vancouver BC to visit my relatives out there and then spend time riding around. I will be retired by then and time won't be an issue anymore. Hope to meet some of you guys. The wife and I both ride a GS(A)
    Tewster2 likes this.
  13. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is something that’s been on my mind to,do. Have a triumph explorer XCX. May be a couple more years before time permits. By then should be in P/T. mode at work. (Summers off ) will keep an eye on this thread. Have done a couple,cross country trips already, as well as a northeaster ride. So reasonably experienced. Am prepared for the 100mile or 500mile day.
    Gotlabs likes this.
  14. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the optimal time of year to ride Alaska? I see most plan for June, July and August, I'm planning a solo trip from California to Prudhoe in September 2019.
  15. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Each year is different. Most info says June is the least rainy. I saw a video the other night and the couple in a truck said they always go in May for the least rain. (I don't believe it) We went this year in June and hit rain thru Oregon/Washington border and snow and rain in southern Canada. Rained on the Dalton also. I think late into Sept. is pushing your luck.
  16. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks for your advice. I think I'll shoot for July/Aug instead since I plan on camping the entire journey.
  17. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    In the early stages of contemplating a run to Alaska in 2019 from New England. Has anyone ever done this and shipped the bike back home after the ride there? I'm curious what the most economical cost might be.
  18. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other Alaska threads mention riding the AlCan on a motorcycle in September or later is Russian roulette. Might be clear and dry, might catch a snow squall and get stuck on the side of the road in the mountains somewhere. For a few days. As for rain, I lucked out this year in late June. Early June and mid July there were major rain waves, but we snuck in between them. That said, rain is part of riding. And let's not forget the Norwegian proverb: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just poor choices in clothing." :rofl
    Baccadon and fastpast like this.
  19. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just don't read the thread "Alaska one time" by Twojump36. You may never ship your bike anywhere.
    Gotlabs, bobw, black 8 and 1 other person like this.
  20. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning an ALCAN run from Seattle for Summer 2019. Myself, and 2-3 other riding buddies. We literally just threw down the gauntlet tonight and made the pact to do it finally. Our timeline is hinging on deployment schedules though (military), so we're hoping for June or July push. I'm in the process of finding a new bike, the stable is currently empty due to sending the oldest to college this summer. Looking at the Tiger 800. Riding experience is roughly 20 years, 99% street. I had an 08 Multistrada S (profile), that I put lots of miles on and rode all over the PNW and down to Yellowstone and back. The wanderlust is in full-effect, time to check off this bucket list item!

One question, could the Seattle - Fairbanks run be done in two weeks, shipping bikes back at the end? Three weeks might be tough to swing, but could be possible...