Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add a little more on the weather. I just started reading the throw-a-way papers i picked up along the way on my trip in June. One is the "Dalton Hiway Visitor Guide" put out by the BLM. It states the best time to do the Dalton is in JUNE/JULY but rains are frequent throughout the summer. Early summer between Fairbanks and Yukon River Camp can bring lightening and sudden squalls. It says the skeets will be out in force by mid June but plenty of wildflowers during this time. This little paper is very informative. Maybe you can request a copy from the BLM in Fairbanks? Good luck on your trip. You will have a great time no matter what the weather.
    rubline and Baccadon like this.
  2. radbrad511

radbrad511 deer hunter

Oddometer:
    I want to go! Plan is Bozeman-Banff-Salmon glacier-Top of World Hwy-Bozeman. I have 20-25 days to do the 5000ish miles. Do-able? Starting around June 15 on my AT. Mix of camp/ride. I like to ride so about 10 hrs a day on bike. First time North of border, would like to meet and ride with others for at least part of the trip.

Lurking and dreaming for now.
    GutsyGibbon, Baccadon and rubline like this.
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.blm.gov/documents/alask...room-alaska-dalton-highway-visitor-guide-2018
  4. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to get in on this. I live in south GA and I am planning to start my ride in Key West. I would adjust my start to RV with others farther north. I am not time constrained so just let me know when and where we need to meet and I'm there. I will be riding a 2014 BMW 1200 GSA. This years trip was 5300 miles of the TAT in 21 days on my BETA 390 so I am ready to step it up a notch.
  5. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the Arctic Circle and back home 9000 miles 21 days on a GSA w/ Scout front and rear. Front about half gone maybe 1000 more left on the rear. The front sings like crazy at 50-60 mph. Must be due to wind because it does it on pavement as well as gravel.
    Baccadon likes this.
  6. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    My ride will be approximately 10k miles. I really do not want to change tires on this ride. I am going with the Moto Z Tractionator GPS.
    godzuki, BIG-E, justBert and 2 others like this.
  7. nocalbruin

nocalbruin No matter where you go, there you are

Oddometer:
    Ok, Dan Lorenze and duckman44, you've convinced me. The target destination is now Atigun Pass or bust. I have flexibility once I get to Fairbanks and can wait a bit if the weather is get dicey. Thanks for the inputs!

I'll be on a 2013 Honda NC700X. Super reliable, comfortable, and plenty of power for me. Took it to Yellowstone this summer, 3000 miles in 12 days, and loved it. With the ferry ride at the tail end of the Alaska run I should be around 5k to 6k miles so tires and oil change before departing should be all I need.
    GutsyGibbon and Dan Lorenze like this.
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine, who spent many years as a DOT engineer in Fairbanks and quite a bit of time on the Dalton, told me that the last week of May, first couple of weeks in June were generally the best. Likely to be drier, fewer mosquitoes that time of year. After mid-June, the summer monsoons can start to make the trip a little less enjoyable. Once again, weather will be what it will be. Trucks have had to chain up to get over Atigun Pass in July. Also, on one Memorial Day trip with a friend (can't recall what year it was, I've made so many trips to Deadhorse) it was unseasonably hot from Fairbanks to beyond Coldfoot, so after we checked into our rooms at Wiseman we ran on up to the top of Atigun to cool off, then back down to Wiseman to get a good night's rest.
    StanBo, bobw, Dan Lorenze and 4 others like this.
  9. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait another 18 months. Time to plan is now!
    rubline likes this.
  10. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope somebody sets up the spotwalla tracking thread for all the 2019 riders so we at home can keep an eye on you. One of my buddys at home this year enjoyed watching our progress and at Chicken sent me a text..."Lunchtime is over, you guys need to get moving." (we actually had a flat tire at the time)
    StanBo, rubline and nocalbruin like this.
  11. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've been cleared for 4 weeks off sometime between May and June 2019. I'll be making the trip from SoCal on a KTM 1090 R. I'm intending to do a lot of camping, but it likely won't be more than 50%.

The (very loose) plan at the moment is to head north to pick up the the Cariboo Hwy to Prince George, then head over to take the Cassier north, then split off towards Dawson and make a run to Tuk. Riding to the Arctic Ocean is the goal, so if I have to sit tight for a few days for a weather window, I will. Head back down from Tuk, hit Denali and Homer, through Tok, down the Alaska Highway, through Banff on the Icefields Parkway, with a detour through Glacier NP and Lolo Pass before heading back home (doing this on the way back to ensure Going To The Sun road is plowed). Google maps says around 9200 miles all in. I'm still looking at maps and figuring out where to stop - Eagle, Forty Mile, Skagway, etc - I'll likely keep most of the 'extras' as options should I make better than expected time. I want to be sure I get to Tuk, and I'd like to do even a short hike in Denali if possible. I'll probably spend more time figuring out my route through the US - I'll want to balance making good time with seeing some new places and not wanting to sit on the 5 for 2 full days.
  12. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have roughly the same route planned starting in Bakersfield CA, bombing up the 5 the first two days and taking the inside track up the Cassiar Hwy to Whitehorse, Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay. On my return trip I'll be hitting the Denali Hwy to Tok, and then taking the AlCan back for a change of scenery, then 5 to Eugene, Klamath Falls, 395 through Truckee/South Tahoe and home. Total miles rounding up to 8K in 24-25 days. I'll have a few big mile days which will give me some time to explore some of the recommended excursions from the Milepost i.e. old ghost towns, Salmon Glacier, etc. I've got my avg. miles per day at roughly 335.
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @Cooltomcat I'm with you on the daily mileage and going to try to keep mine lower than I have in the past. I've been known to knock out multiple 1,000 mile days at the start of a trip just to get things moving and buy myself some breathing room for later on - and last time I did that it was on a much less comfortable bike. Also on my last trip, I was gone for 3 weeks, but spent 3 days visiting friends in place and 4 or 5 visiting family in another, so it was more like 8,300 miles in 2 weeks instead of 3, which makes for 600 miles a day average, which is on par with how I've done these big trips in the past.

This trip won't involve those long stops, save for maybe a few days waiting for weather, and if I take the full 4 weeks that puts me just over 300 miles per day. If I knock out 2 1,000 miles at the start, that lowers me to 270 miles/day for the rest of the trip - which makes time to explore a little, smell the roses, take detours, maybe spend an extra night some place I like, and not feel rushed - especially with the lower speeds I'll be traveling for much of the trip. I think it will take some conscience effort to slow down and tell myself I don't need to get started by 7am every morning.
    1oldsickle and nocalbruin like this.
  14. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean by having to make that conscience effort not to rush. With roughly 15 hrs of daylight and an avg. speed of 55 MPH = 6 hrs. of ride time. So that basically equates to more than enough time, factoring in those areas where I'll need to ride slower or just taking time to explore various areas. Like everyone else, this has been on my bucket list for over 30 years and I don't want to rush through it.
  15. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're going to be in Anchorage, you may as well scoot down to Girdwood...pretty much a straight shot south along the Seward Highway, which borders the water the whole way. Small town with a ski resort...can hike the mountain in the Summer. Decent bar at the base of the mountain called the Sitzmark. Cool little town and worth the short drive from Anchorage (under 2 hours). The scenery there and back is good too...often saw Beluga whales.
    StanBo and AllSeasonRider like this.
  16. FlyingSkeet

FlyingSkeet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m also planning this ride for June/July next year I’m new here from NorCal. I’m currently a 15 HD Ltd rider, retired, touring 15k + for the last couple of years. Just completed a couple of iron buts. Going to switch it up a little after 3 years of Sturgis might still go after the trip to Alaska but not a priority. In the market for an adventure bike specifically for this ride I will keep the HD continuing to tour the Highways on it. Grew up on a ranch with dirt bikes, haven’t ridden one for any length of time in 35 years. Tossing around renting too. 30 day trip I think owning and selling might work. Liking the Yamaha Tenure right now not planning on owning it long, but might love it and change my vision. Thanks for this awesome resource!!
    bobw likes this.
  17. PopKorn

PopKorn n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    New to the forum. Usually use Stromtrooper and MTF
    Experienced rider / IronButt, etc.
    4,500 mile road trip last month.
    Over the past 5 years have tried twice to do the Key West to Deadhorse.
    Both times my fellow riders backed out.
    The last time (3yrs ago) my last rider backed out a week before the trip.
    I decided to do it on my own but had to end it at the border in Montana due to tendonitis.
    I will definitely follow this thread and plan to join if it looks like it will happen but not looking for another great disappointment.
    Over the years I've learned that many riders THINK they can get the time off or have enough funds and they end up backing out so.....
    Current rides include 2011 VStrom 650 - 2012 FLHTCK - 1981 XS 650 - 1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star.
    Retired and ride dates are flexible. I am looking for a group that will really do it.
    V-Strom loaded for travel but I really hate tenting. Beartooth Snow Small.jpg Yes, that's snow on Beartooth.

Glad to join the forum.
    Folly1, StanBo, Dan Lorenze and 6 others like this.
  18. Baccadon

Baccadon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I AGREE WITH DAN Lorenzo that Atigun Pass is worth the trip to see it
    been up north 5 times since 2010. Always leave Kentucky last week of May. cooler weather but fewer skeeters and no-see-ums aka(punkies). plan and pack for cold rainy weather.electric jacket and electric gloves are a must have to travel in comfort in May and June.
    rubline and Dan Lorenze like this.
  19. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    There are so many options out there if you're looking to buy a bike specifically for this trip. I haven't personally done it so I can't offer any first hand advice, but almost any bike will do. Up until earlier this year I was considering just doing it on my Ducati Monster, but I found a good deal on a KTM 1090 and decided the fuel capacity and electronic cruise control (aftermarket) were worth it. The Tenere would be a good choice as well.

I'm thinking of leaving the last week of May as well with good rain gear and some electrics.
    Baccadon likes this.
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I dug out the camping gear last night and started taking inventory. I need a new ground cloth and headlamp, and probably a new sleeping bag. Mine packs small in a compression sack, but I got it when I was still growing some and so it's a tad short for me. What temp rating would folks recommend who have done this before? My current bag is 15 degree (I think)... I'm guessing that or a 0 degree bag would make sure I'm comfortable.
    Baccadon likes this.