Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. FlyingSkeet

FlyingSkeet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went yesterday looked at KTMs! so tall, 6’1and was on the balls of my feet thinking they’re out. Sat on the Triumph it checked all the boxes except 6+ gal tank. Shaft drive, heated grips, cruise control, only trouble is it’s the same price as the BMW. Dealer experience was very nice and they had both bikes ready to demo.
  2. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have a 0* rectangle, & a 0* mummy. The mummy is noticeably warmer.
    You can always pull back a warm bag if it gets too warm. Nothing much can be done if it's too cold. Down will compress pretty small, & will be light. (I've not had a problem keeping my down bag dry.)
    Baccadon and AllSeasonRider like this.
  3. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You ought to try being 5'7" on a F800GSA, even with the low seat option it's still way tall.
  4. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a Sea-to-summit fleece liner which is supposed to add a full season to your bag rating, I already have a 0* bag and really only bought it for those warmer nights as well as those unexpected cold ones. They're about $90 new, I've seen them on ebay for little more than $50. I got a once used for $40
    Baccadon likes this.
  5. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there done that, I'm 5'6" and not all legs, I'm on a 1200 GSA and I still can't believe how much easier it is to ride than my 800 ever was.....go figure.
  6. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the 1200 GS sits a hair lower than the 800. I tested them both (6'3") and decided on the 800 GS since I've never ridden off-road as an adult. I wonder if or how long it'll take me to want the 1200.
    justBert likes this.
  7. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m planning on going in 19, but I won’t have lots of time. Last time I went from Missouri to Deadhorse and back in two weeks. Hopefully I’ll have a few more days in 19. Going to go for TUK. I’ll be leaving in mid August, probably alone. Hopefully there will be a few riders still up there in late Aug early Sept.
    If you guys going up the Dalton hit it right weather wise Fairbanks to DH isn’t bad at all. For personal reasons I loaded up in Fairbanks a little after midnight. I was back in Fairbanks at 2:00 the next morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TUK? Also why are you going alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. nocalbruin

nocalbruin No matter where you go, there you are

Oddometer:
    I've a 0 degree synthetic bag for the past couple of season but it's a bit bulky, even in a compression sack. I'm considering either a down quilt style or down mummy bag. Byke and Hyke sell directly from Amazon and I like the look of their gear. 15F bag packs to 10x7 which is very good.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Why not???
    TNRyder, Gordon, millican and 5 others like this.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Not sure if I’ll even get into Alaska. I usually ride alone. Tried riding with a group last time. It didn’t go like I planned. I’m five years older now, and probably even more set in my ways. I like to ride long days and camp. I’ve got riding buddies that ride like that, but none are interested in another trip north right now.
  12. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame

Oddometer:
    Trip of a life time for this soon to be 70 year young rider

Wee Strom 650 Gen 2

Looks like late May early June (trying for 3 weeks)

Charlotte NC to the Arctic Circle

Please add us to the email list

Thanks
    StanBo, Baccadon and rubline like this.
  13. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our dates are locked in leaving from Seattle - 13-27 July (+/- a day for flex). Planning to camp most of the way, cabin/motel every 3 to 4 days depending on route/schedule. We really want to make it up to the TOW, see Denali, and maybe get some fly fishing in as well. Looking at taking the 4-day ferry back out of Haines through the Inside Passage and depart at Bellingham for a 3-hour ride home. Anyone have any thoughts on riding the ferry and sleeping on the deck? Apparently it's a 4-day trip. Seems like we could ride just as fast, but I'm not sure my arse could handle it!
    rubline likes this.
  14. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, my 1090R stock was really tall for my 5'8" height. I had Konflict lower and stiffen my suspension and it's way better now. The only bike that fits me like a glove is the GSA low, but it comes with a price. But they are sweet
  15. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For anyone who is interested: I installed the Touratech HyperPro 35mm spring lowering kit and it made a huge difference. The center of gravity is obviously lower and I can actually touch the ground now. When I'm riding, maneuvering the bike feels so much more nimble and agile. I highly recommend for us shorter guys.
  16. Cooltomcat

Cooltomcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's nothing wrong with riding alone. I prefer it as it is difficult to find people who have similar riding styles, and different people have different agendas, I'm doing my ride next July solo. Don't let other peoples opinions and fears impede your decision to ride alone.
    TNRyder, sasho, rehester and 6 others like this.
  17. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I keep going back an forth on the Ferry for a leg. The break from riding would be nice along with some excellent views. That said, if you're going from Skagway to Bellingham, it only leaves once a week, and you plus your bike is almost $1,600 if you camp on the deck. It's expensive and requires careful schedule planning.
  18. nocalbruin

nocalbruin No matter where you go, there you are

Oddometer:
    I've been checking AMH website but ferry schedule is not posted that far out. I called them last week and the agent said summer 2019 routes and schedules will be up first week of December. She advised me to book early as peak season, early July, fills up quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  19. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't rush this trip. I went in '17 from N Minnesota to Fairbanks in 8 days. Definately doable, but averaging 400 miles/day didnt didn't afford much site seeing time.

We took the Cassiar highway uo and i wish i had spent at least another full day on the ice fields parkway.

It is definantly doable solo. They're are lots of riders on the road, so if tyou want to join up with someone for a while. My next trip up will be solo for sure.

There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  20. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    I agree, made the trip from NY to DH and back twice now alone.
    There is something very special doing an epic trip like that alone. I never did feel like people were too far away if help were needed.
    Just sitting back and taking your time to take in all of the scenery without the feeling like someone is waiting for you to finish is priceless.
    stoney4vida, TNRyder, StanBo and 9 others like this.