Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2009 I crossed the border from Montana into Canada just north of Babb. The Canadian side was easy enough, usual questions, carrying guns, contraband, etc. after maybe 5 minutes sent me on my way north saying have fun. Coming back the U S side was a different story altogether, searched the bike, ran my I D, had to remove jacket and helmet. 30 minutes later was “ granted” permission to enter the country.

Ride safe!
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @travlr_45 my experience has been like yours. I've crossed in to Canada probably 20 times in the last 15 years and never had an issue going in, only going back to the States. Car was searched once when I had a donut spare on it. And one other time the exchange went like this:
    "What were you doing in Canada?"
    "Visiting a friend."
    " What does he do? "
    " She's a house painter. "

From there it launched into some bizarre accusations of me lying to him, changing the gender mid story, etc. It felt touch and go for a minute. Every other crossing the guard would let me put me helmet and gloves on next to the booth even if there cars behind me. But this one, once he cleared me I rode ahead and put everything back on as far as away as I could get.
    Dan Lorenze and travlr_45 like this.
  3. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    look into this there still may be a way to enter just trying to help out
    https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ervices/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility.html
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  4. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABB4894F-B791-4546-BE75-3206B823CC75.jpeg 145EB50C-3588-402D-B0DD-0FF48DEEEB32.jpeg Who left their jacket at sign?
    nocalbruin, Bigbob1 and Mr Head like this.
  5. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if a memorial to someone. Can’t imagine forgetting it.
  7. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    I have to say that US Customs has been a bigger pain in the fanny than Canadian Customs. I have been crossing the boarder several times a year since 1976.... hundreds of times and I have been big time searched three times. The bike emptied out, covers, seat, tank pulled, taken inside and coat, shirt, boots removed and if you can't pull your pants above your knees you have to take them off. Fun stuff twice it was US and once for Canada. There have been another dozen times that were just a peek and poke in your luggage and those were the US Customs.
  8. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Fuzzy, I figured you where joking....
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm fiddling with routing since I got the MilePost book. We have to accommodate both hoteling and camping plus varied fuel ranges. That Milepost book is amazing.
    Well worth the money.
    I've already adjusted some routes to get more entertainment.
    We will have one ugly day from San Jose to Portland, but I hear there is beer there. :drink
    nocalbruin likes this.
  10. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same thing happens to me and my 74 year old dad but going into Canada. They asked about guns over and over again. They said our route didn’t make sense to them and they went through our luggage. They asked us several times about what we did for work. They sent us inside the station for a while. It was weird and tense.
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Your prices are exactly right. Called this morning and got that information.

The person on the information number wasn't an Indian or a young clerk - it was the voice of a gruff old guy, probably medically ruled off the boats but claiming an inside job. We talked for a moment - he said the prices WERE much lower, but the AMH hired an outside consultant who recommended they raise their prices on motorcycles. So they did - now it's the same price as a car.

So much for that. If I go, in the future, I'll go without a vehicle and rent a car or take the train.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    ...anyone want to buy a used Milepost 2019? I won't be needing it anymore...

Some light wear from being in my luggage for two days, but otherwise, pristine. Not marked; no dog-eared pages.
  13. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is too bad.
    You can apply for a pardon at 5 years after the incident occured.
    I think at 41 years ago you would have very little trouble getting it done.

The U.S. customs will also deny entry into U.S. to Canadians with previous (sometimes archaiac) D.U.I.'s

So, there isn't "something going on in Canada"- it works both ways.

Hope you get it sorted out, if that is what you wish to do.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  14. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    The "Rehabilitated Felon" process is onerous in Canada. It involves, from what I was told, providing employment and dates, residences, credit records, from the time of the "felony" conviction to the date of the application. Time does NOT matter - I was told that, directly, there in the Customs office.

What Canadians can do, and what aliens to Canada must do to gain entry, are two separate things.

As for the American side demanding the same, I expect it was - as with the passport requirement - a tit-for-tat game. Yes, governments play that, all the time. Sometimes at cost to the pawns/subjects. Which side started it? Don't know. Media, which on both sides just WORSHIPS government, seldom explores these questions.

I'm not damning or attacking Canadians with this. Not even the Immigration Canada personnel, who are doing their jobs as they best can. This is being done far above them, and by people who are not making wise decisions IMHO.
  15. Red-hungarian

Red-hungarian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headed north from Kamloops BC keep an eye out. Have yet to see (or talk to) anyone headed my way. Most adventure bikes I have seen are going the opposite way.
  16. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m a runner and wear a RoadID during my daily runs. I also ride alone a lot, but I never thought to wear my RoadID when riding. Seems obvious that I should wear it as I type this. Thanks for the tip.
    Mr Head likes this.
  17. mdmaroon

mdmaroon Mike

Oddometer:
    CaseyJones, sorry to hear about being denied entry to Canada. It is unfortunately true that some types of criminal charges make you inadmissible to Canada and DUI is one of them.

The government here just brought in new DUI laws and they are pretty draconian. For example, the police can demand a breath test even two hours after you’ve driven a car. You could drive home from work (not intoxicated) have a few drinks, and two hours later they show up at your house and demand a breath test, which you might fail at that point.

Essentially, it is illegal to consume alcohol within two hours after driving, because if you fail the test, it’s the same as if you were driving drunk.

Hard to believe, right? A little googling will show that I’m not even joking. It’s very controversial right now. Human rights groups are all over this, but with our current Liberal government I don’t think they’ll get too far with doing anything about it.

You may have fallen victim to the hysteria over drunk driving. Drunk driving is bad, of course, but 0.07 isn’t even the legal limit up here. It’s 0.08. If you had done the same thing here you would have gotten a warning, but because New York charged you criminally you got screwed.
    CaseyJones likes this.
  18. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our idiot govt won't let Casey in but the moron in charge wants to let ISSIS fighters return to Canada and give them a pardon.
    I would like to know where it says that elected officials have to have a lobotomy and have all common sense removed after being elected.
    bobw, rickj and CaseyJones like this.
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things started getting tense at the boarder after Canada refused to be involved in the invasion of Iraq. Female friend of mine in Vancouver and her girlfriends used to come down to Seattle to go shopping. After the war, they were so hassled by American boarder guards, they just stopped visiting. She hasn't been back stateside since.
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    What just floors me, is that this was FORTY-ONE YEARS AGO. It's not like I just finished my suspension (I didn't even HAVE a suspension). Not like I'm habitual.

This is how this stuff snowballs. A traffic violation, yes, alcohol-related, occurs. Pay my fine. Get on with life. Over 40 years and seven states later, that "DWAI" is reclassified as DUI - and is made into a felony, ex post facto.

It is what it is. I don't have any sort of guaranteed right to tour Canada; and if that's the biggest problem in my old age, I'd say I'm doing pretty good.
    knight likes this.