Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it to Dawson Creek today and ran into @95Monster aka George. We took a few photos of the sign and of each other then headed for Bucking Horse River to camp for the night. About an hour past Fort St. John. I lost the nut to the front sprocket and coasted to a stop on the shoulders on 97 north. Thought my clutch cable broke. Took the plastic cover off along with the shifter and saw that the nut and the lock washer were gone. Walked the shoulders to look for the nut but no luck. Called AAA. Waited an hour and got the bike towed back to Fort St. John. Of course every place is closed for the weekend and will open Monday morning. My bike is sitting in the parking lot of the Econo Lodge on the 97 in Fort St. John. I'll be here until Monday unless I can find something on Sunday.

https://flic.kr/p/2geSGBq

Bike is a 2015 triumph tiger 800 xrx
    95Monster likes this.
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try Canadian tire, they should be open sunday, within walking distance. they have large hardware sections, they may have a nut.
    95Monster and outdoorsman like this.
  3. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Will try them in the morning @Bigbob1 thanks.
  4. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is a 2015 triumph tiger 800 xrx

How are you liking the 800 tiger? I’ve got it’s big brother explorer XCX but have considered stepping back down to the 800 mainly because of the weight issue. A 600 lb bike ( unpacked ) can be a handful in a parking lot or a garage. Main reason I went with the explorer was the shaft drive.
  5. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:

I am currently plodding steadily north. No hurry, but a "wonder if?" worry after reading your troubles at the Port of Entry. I have been to The jewel of the North five times in the past ten years. Quite welcoming on every crossing. Yes, I am related to two Mounties by distant marriage but ... Is it my turn in the box?

A thought if you're still looking for a cool ride this summer, Why not do Minnesota's North Country and the Michigan U.P.? Spectacular riding and scenery. Worth a ride in it's own right. Plus they have biting insects and the occasional cold rain!

Keep the faith!
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Deja vu!
    If the nut is the same as the earlier Tigers (2011-14) you need a 20mm diameter / 1.5 pitch. (Good luck finding that size at a Canadian Tire, try small engine repair shops if the search has to expand.)
    Specs called for that to be 6mm deep, but a 14 deep nylock style worked just fine.

AMHIK:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ther...wt-and-james-bay.1111225/page-8#post-28413799
  7. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    For the 2015+ tiger, it's a 36mm nut. But I don't know what the pitch is.
  8. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    I love it. It's the best bike I've ever owned.
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    The nut (edit - socket size) is 36mm, the bolt (shaft) diameter is 21 mm - that's what you need to specify. Nut size can vary slightly depending on application.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  10. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bridge was rebuilt across the Laird River on Alaskan Highway. Affectionally known as Galloping Gertie.
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I looked up the nut for your specific Tiger and it's an M20 (mm) / 1.5 / 6mm deep.
    Which is the same size as my 13 model. I mis-reported that as 21 mm earlier.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  12. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
  13. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I lived and worked four years in central Wisconsin and the UP. It was the area I relearned riding, and aside from the Mackinac area, I've about done the UP to death. Minnesota north I've done a couple trips - on on a trip to Banff before I was ID'd as a menace to Canada.

I'm just kinda bummed. That was always in the back of my mind, to go back there...but it just is not to be. Given the aches and pains I had in getting UP TO the border (mostly loading/unloading twice and riding that little machine at high speed for hours) I have to wonder if my riding time is closer to being over than I thought it is.
  14. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @outdoorsman There are a lot of businesses around you that service the oil and gas industry, car dealers, auto parts/Napa, I see a ATV/Polaris dealer there that will be open tomorrow. Another hardware place is Acklands-Grainger, The Grainger side of the business in the states have every nut and bolt made.
    I think the nearest dealer would be in Edmonton
  15. Red-hungarian

Red-hungarian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning on being at Watson lake tomorrow afternoon to catch up with some on the ride up, Canol road anyone? I hesitate to do it alone
  16. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    No luck at Canadian Tire. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow for places to open. Thamks for the tips!
  17. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went through my spares and realized I'd forgotten to order the fuel pump service kit. It has been a while since the last service on that.
    So, off to CJ Designs and an order is made.
  18. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Welcome, don't forget to get some thread lock compound (red preferably).
    I had noticed the original locking washer was a rather thin and flimsy brass/copper thing when I mounted new sprockets and chain before my trip.
    The Triumph replacement that I got later was much more robust - when I pinned that I knew it wasn't going anywhere.
    outdoorsman likes this.
  19. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday 6/16 expecting to hit Dawson Creek this afternoon, the 19th day leaving Brooklyn New York.

I rode INTO a TORNADO in Pennsylvania. Got soaked to the bone in thunderstorms before I could batten down the hatches.

Had a failed zipper on brand new Dainese Fulcrum 2 boots and ordered it into the last store on my route which gave me an opportunity to visit GF’s brothers in Chicago for 2 days.

Week ago GF flew into St Paul and we spent 3 days with her bestie.

Chipped my headlight lens to remind me I forgot a protector overlay which I found at the 2nd dealership I went to in Edmonton. Only to find out that I didn’t pack metric Allen Keys so there’s another stop and another day

But the sun is out and shining and I HOPE TO MEET UP WITH SOME OTHER ADVENTURERS to either Prudhoe Bay or Tuktoyaktuk not sure which one I want to do.

Hit me up!
    95Monster and outdoorsman like this.
  20. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a pair of XL snowmobile gloves in Montana that weren’t right for me. Left them at Air Force Lodge in Watson lake with instructions to give to someone who needs them.