Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Blaaband

Blaaband n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm right now in Winnipeg, and expect to be in Edmonton on Tuesday. I will then continue north on Thursday, and be in Anchorage in the end of June. Expect to start my trip on Dalton Hwy around the 5th of July or whenever the weather forecast looks quite good.
    If anyone need me to bring spare parts etc. from Edmonton, let me know. If anyone need a traveling companion for part of the trip or the return trip to Vancouver, you can also send me a message.
    bobw and Dan Lorenze like this.
  2. nocalbruin

nocalbruin No matter where you go, there you are

Oddometer:
    Closing in of Fairbanks and need some inmate knowledge. Might need a chain for my NC700X. Any recommendations for a repair shop in Fairbanks?
    Also, what campground or tent space are around Denali? I need a couple nights, 6/21 and 6/22.
    Really a blast riding up from Mile 0. Met several inmates along the way. Shout out Fuzzy74 and Blackfin! IMG_20190615_111137.jpg IMG_20190603_131712.jpg
    bobw, DisqoG and Mr Head like this.
  3. Peepuppies

Peepuppies n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi...I will be riding from Cache Creek to Prince George tomorrow then from Prince George to Smithers then up the Cassiar ..anyone near me to ride with?
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I can't recommend a shop, but any dealership or Moto parts place should do it. You need any 520 pitch o/x/z ring chain of 114 links (you'll likely need to shorten it from 120). Pick up a real riveting tool if you cant get a clip type master link, or borrow one from the shop if you don't want to have them do it for you.
    nocalbruin likes this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Bike prep has been ongoing this weekend, decided to get a start on the 'bigger' jobs ahead of time. Installed a new chain and sprockets - I know some people thought that was silly to do with only 4,500 miles on the original chain, but I ended up finding missing x-rings on 2 links and both had a little play in them. The sprockets were probably fine to run, but since I was in there I figured I'd swap them. The front had to come off anyway to replace the chain slider on the swingarm.

The aid in chain life, I also installed a Cobrra Nemo 2 oiler and gave it a test last night - seems to work well and will make chain maintenance far far easier.

I've also got the top of the bike torn apart to service the air filters - I'm running oiled foam filters on my mine and it's been a year since I've been in there. Good news is they're spotless (I also run pre filters) but they were a touch on the dry side so out they came for cleaning and re-oiling.

Closer to lift off she'll get new tires and oil, and off we go!
    20190616_212850.jpg 20190616_212900.jpg 20190616_212915.jpg 20190616_213031.jpg 20190616_212940.jpg
    Phoenix101 and Mr Head like this.
  6. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It has been that way for a long time. If a person has any DWI on their record its a no go. Sucks but its their country. Too bad you didnt know in advance.
    TNRyder likes this.
  7. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They ran your plate while you were in line.
  8. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, back on the road! The guys at Trail Blazn helped me out with some fab work and locktite it good. A big thanks to Tom, Scott, Ryan, and Gary at Trail Blazn.
    bobw, Bigbob1, Blackfin31 and 3 others like this.
  9. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    just called. No room at the Inn.
    b
  10. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess things have changed.
  11. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Individual in front of me in line at Yamaha dealer came in wanting tires to go to Tuktoyatuk. Asked what kind he didn't know. What size he didn't know. Counter man gave him very good advice and guided him to some tires that could do the trip. Then the fellow wanted some oil and was unsure of weight but knew it needed to be something special with some letter designations.

After viewing this fellows in Yamaha shop in Whitehorse were talking about all the people who attempt Tuktoyatuk and don't make it. One group of 14 had 8 bikes and riders hauled out. If planning to ride the route make absolutely sure of yourself and your bike. Sure you are more prepared than this guy but if they hare hauling an injured rider and wrecked bike out every day that will include many prepared and skilled riders. Make sure you and your bike are capable, take your time and BE CAREFUL!
    bobw, Yossarian™ and oldgrizz like this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben. How ya doin?
  13. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Made it to Watsont Lake today. Going to Ross River for the day and staying there tonight. Then tomorrow to Dawson City!

Met a few folks along the way, all heading to D2D.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  14. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    Is the Campbell highway nasty in the rain? I'm a little hesitant to take it in this rain.
  15. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Watson lake to Ross River its mostly dirt..... rain can make it nasty....
    Phoenix101 and outdoorsman like this.
  16. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES!!! I posted some Campbell highway notes a while back. It was an absolute struggle at times. Not impossible, just potentially miserable. And there are 2, 200+ mile stretches with no fuel/services. ... Burn It was also really nice at times... Like any super rural dirt road
    outdoorsman likes this.
  17. outdoorsman

Oddometer:
    I went to Whitehorse instead. Lots of folks here from adv. Doing my rain dance for sunny skies.
    Mr Head, mach1mustang351 and Bigbob1 like this.
  18. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    So I was dismounting in the parking lot of the Super 8 in "My Knot," North by God Dakota. Across the parking lot came two bikes, a Beemer and a "Dixie Twin," both absolutely and beautifully begrimed with that whitish grey scuzz that can only be applied on a way-up-North road.

In the flesh were "Lower Alabama" (LA) and "Panhandle," They gave me their real avatars but like many things these days I've forgotten them. They posted here earlier and I sure hope they come back on and give some "road lessons." It didn't come easy!

In two, 'stand in the parking lot and banter' sessions, I got the absolute skinny that these two Riders (with a capital "R") did the Tuktouaktuk run AFTER running to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton only to be told it was closed due to bad mud. They then figured that they'd ridden from the Gulf shores and, ding dang it were going to see the Arctic Ocean one way or another!

Yep, they did it and can put the Polar Bear stickers on their bikes and remember this one. I'm all about admiration for a job well done and these two...well, "They done got it done!"

By the way, doesn't Tuktoyaktuk sound like something a barnyard fowl would utter?
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will get better weather soon, wet tomorrow in Whitehorse. Go north tomorrow for sun
    outdoorsman likes this.
  20. Red-hungarian

Red-hungarian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to Whitehorse from Watson lake to get some new rubber, saw the forecast for there and Dawson city, this is Dawson city this morning!
    CA1914BC-D552-47B3-8A06-CDA83100E60B.jpeg
    outdoorsman and Mr Head like this.