Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another ride and myself here are in the planning stage for an AK trip next year. Would be interested in hearing firsthand about your trip. We occasionally ride down to B&J’s for breakfast. You would be welcome to join us.
  2. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    Back from a 30 day ride to/from Alaska. The road from Whitehorse to Tok is crappy, as usual, and large segments of the Tok Cutoff are under major construction. Wildfires seemingly everywhere including within in the city limits of Fairbanks and Anchorage.

When it rains the highways in the Alberta oilfield areas become a sloppy muddy, slippery mess as oilfield trucks drop mud everywhere.

The Cassiar Highway was surprisingly good, although the segment south of Bell II is better than the northern segment.

Still a great trip, though.
    wilsonjw42 and MizzouRider like this.
  3. WheelieBob

WheelieBob Adventure

Oddometer:
    @outdoorsman I'm glad to see you made it back safely. We returned on the 7/13 after completing the Haul road and a quick stop @ Hyder, Salmon Glacier was amazing. The front shock started leaking after the ride to Tuc it's being replaced tomorrow under warranty.

Attached Files:

4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Homer vs. Valdez - if you had to pick one?

McCarthy vs. Haines - if you had to pick one?
  5. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Valdez for Thompson Pass, waterfalls and bears, McCarthy for cool old mines and proximity to Valdez.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :stupid

And Thompson Pass will give you the easiest access for standing on a glacier. (Worthington IIRC)

But Homer will put you past the Whitier Tunnel which is an unusual transit worth experiencing - take your turn, you don't want to argue right of way with a train!
    And Haines will guarantee bald eagle sightings galore as well as notch another Canadian/AK border crossing - there are 6 total if you want the complete set. :deal

:lobby
    Obviously you should do all of those points. Just have to plan another trip. :lol3
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  7. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, the smart move is to plan both options out and be prepared to take whichever is indicated by the weather.
    Bigbob1, poppawheelie and MHaz01 like this.
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good answers already. :nod

Not quite as easy, as both have their ample appeal. To McCarthy, about half the distance from the Richardson Hwy to McCarthy is very good scenery, with excellent view from the McCarthy/Kennicott area. But the ride over Chilkat Pass down to Haines along the Chilkat River is great as well.

If you are planning on going on south from Haines by taking a ferry over to Skagway, then back up to catch the Alcan at Jake's Corner, then that would pretty much be the better choice as you would be getting two beautiful passes along the route.

As the weather can make a difference, and it can vary widely in those different locations, you might follow the advice of simestd and make plans for both/either, letting ol' Mother Nature dictate your choice.
    simestd and poppawheelie like this.
  9. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do both. Make it a circle route including Whittier \tunnel and Ferry between Valdez and Whittier. Plan the schedule as ferry goes to Valdez 3 days a week and to Whittier 3 days a week. Ferry ride is great and other than the back track from Homer to the Whittier Tunnel road there is no backtracking.
  10. MHaz01

Oddometer:
    Tough call as all are four worth visiting.

Valdez over Homer because you'd ride the Thompson Pass going to and from Valdez. Plus the opportunity to take a three or four-hour cruise in Prince William sound to see the Columbia ice glacier. Homer is decent, but it's mostly shopping.

And I'd pick Haines by the slimmest of margins over McCarthy.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, all. I'm almost a little surprised to hear Valdez over Homer.

My plan is to hit as many of these as I can, but I've been pouring over the map and trying to make these decisions ahead of time so I already know what I want to do should the schedule get tight.

Of course, weather may dictate my decision, anyway, and I'm OK with that.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  12. MHaz01

Oddometer:
    FYI the Richardson Highway had a major construction delay about half-way between Tok and Valdez when I went through three weeks ago. The project is the repair of a major wash-out and the flagman who I chatted with said the crews are working 24/7 to finish the job before winter arrives. I had to wait for about 45 minutes in each direction. As usual, motorcycles get to ride to the front of the stopped line so they don't have to eat other vehicles' dust once the line gets moving.
  13. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rob! Good to hear you and Dennis got back safely too. Nice meeting you two and hanging and riding together. Keep in touch since we are local to each other.

-Darren
  14. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Dalton up to the Arctic Circle was great today; not too much loose gravel and no water trucks making the surface a mess. Very little wildfire smoke on the way up but winds shifted during the day so there was a decent blanket covering the road south of the Yukon (from the Hess Creek fire) on the way back down.

E2DE2E47-1F76-4C66-A1F5-8F75DA815896.jpeg
    wingtraveler and twowings like this.
  15. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Answer: McCarthy for sure. Nice ride and can ride over pedestrian bridge up to Kennicott. Valdez.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Had a nightmare about a bear attack two nights ago... Really hoping I'm able to get any sleep in a tent on this trip!

Doesn't help that I suffer from sleep paralysis from time to time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis)
  17. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  18. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    be careful in the Lilard Hot Springs area... Mounties are now investigating four deaths (per local Spokane WA TV)... theory all were killed by the same bad guy.... this article on the two shot to death https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/re...rs-murdered-near-liard-hot-springs-1.23890362

RCMP is looking for people who might have video of the blue van.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5668139/double-murder-witness-securing-scene/

other accounts have the two others killed in the van and a third body found nearby...

Found other sources that the two were killed near Lilard Springs and then three were killed near Dease Lake...

"Police are considering the possibility their murder may be connected to the disappearance of two teenagers last Friday.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, are considered missing after their burnt-out camper van was found along the side of the road near Dease Lake on Friday, 500km (310 miles) away from where Fowler and Deese were found."

A third body was found burned not far from McLeod and Schmegelsky's van. It has not been identified but police do not believe it belongs to the missing young men.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone seen this guy? RCMP suspect

upload_2019-7-22_23-52-8.png
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Great. And I was worried about bears.
    GutsyGibbon and Phoenix101 like this.