Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    recent change in events... looks like the missing teenagers are now the suspects in the death of three people..
    "A burnt-out camper van belonging to the lifelong friends - Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18 - was discovered on Friday along the highway in northern British Columbia.

Days before, two tourists were found shot to death 500km (310 miles) away.

Police say Mr McLeod and Mr Schmegelsky have since been spotted driving out of the province and are now suspects.

They were previously described by police as missing, with the implication that they may also be victims of the killer.

A third unidentified body was found near the young men's burnt out van.

In a news release on Tuesday, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) wrote: "Given these latest developments, Kam and Bryer are no longer considered missing. The RCMP are considering Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky as suspects in the Dease Lake suspicious death investigation and the double homicide of Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese.""
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    As has been said numerous times.....2 legged critters are more dangerous than the 4 legged ones.
    I rode both 97 and Cassier last year....alone.
    Such a tragedy in a place so beautiful.
    :(
    ScotsFire, bugzilla, knight and 2 others like this.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got word the Alaska Ferry workers have gone out on strike..... that sucks, I am on the way home
  5. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they sort it out quickly, I’m headed south in 12 days.
  6. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to cancel our sailing from Haines to Prince Rupert today....after we rode 300 miles to Haines for no reason. Staying in Haines Junction tonight, and we start clocking some long days to make up for lost time. Thanks AK ferry system!
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup it sucks but I have just about beat the ferry to Bellingham before. The Cassiar is in good shape.
    First day ride to Watson Lake
    Second day ride to Smithers BC
    Third day is the long one to Bellingham
  8. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Don't want to start a long discussion but having ridden the Alaska Highway three times from Florida and passing right by Liard Hot Springs where these two young tourists were killed.........Sure would be nice to be allowed to carry my pistol in Canada. But, I guess only the bad guys do that. I am not sure these victims were shot but one eyewitness said the guy from Australia only had a small wound most likely a bullet wound.
    travlr_45 likes this.
  9. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    When seeing the photos of the previously missing persons and the composite sketches of the suspect, it seemed reasonable they *might* be the same person... any many of the comments on the articles from readers made the same conclusion. The whole thing is seriously messed up.

Also a bummer to hear the ferries are on strike - I've not been planning no using them (if I did Haines, it would be an in-and-out rather than trying to schedule a ferry to Skagway). For those of you up there already and trying to get back, I do hope it's resolved quickly.
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like the bad guys were last seen in Northern Manitoba
  12. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The same story has make the headlines today here in Ireland. The CMP now looking for the 2x teenagers as the main suspects on the run.
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Back to trip planning...

My riding jacket and pants have made it out the wash - boy, they are looking good!

I also picked up a pinlock for my helmet. It was fogging up even on brisk SoCal mornings, so I'm convinced I'd have been riding blind in the cold and wet up north.

I think fresh tires will go on this weekend!
    travlr_45 likes this.
  14. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a pin lock on my Schuberth. My experience was that it was so dusty on parts of the Dalton that some small amounts of dust got between the two layers. That was of small consequence until we got into heavy rain. Then water got in with that dust and gave me a huge blind spot right in the middle of my shield.

Fido:norton
  15. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a leaky seal - In my experience, you can't just pop the pinlock in and call it day - you have to adjust the tension on the posts until the silicone bead is making contact with the lens all the way around.
  16. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a Arai Tour x4 that I could never get the pinlock to fully seal on no matter how much I adjusted it. Since changed lids to another with a pinlock and it has been perfect since day 1. bhadad luck I suppose, oh and tried a different pinlock screen too and still had no success.
  17. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to derail the thread, but I was staying at Muncho Lake and saw the van on the way up to Liard Hot Springs and on the way back when the two were still alive. The next day I headed to Watson Lake and saw the van still there, but now with the RCMP and crime scene tape all around. I stopped to let them know I’d seen he van there the day before and they were very interested and took a statement. Scary stuff. Be safe up there, it’s very isolated in spots and there is no cell phone coverage.
  18. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    With no guns I guess keeping out your bear spray and a big stick might help. But if you have driven that road or any like it, if someone was parked with their hood up and was waving you down, you would stop. Prob what these assholes did.
  19. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    20190728_140329.jpg 20190728_140311.jpg Fresh meat!

That rear was a mother f***er to get the bead to catch.
    Dan Lorenze and outdoorsman like this.
  20. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats a scary thought you mention about the hood up idea. We all want to help if we can..... but it could have been the downfall of these good folk. Don't bare thinking about..... and there was I worrying about Bears and Mozzies being my only fear on the Alaskan roads.