Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    keeping in perspective... Canada is a country (2017) of a little over 35 million people. Below per 100,000

upload_2019-7-29_21-28-10.png

the Country of California.. similar population (39 million)... homicide nearly 7 per 100,000. I would go back to worrying about mosquitoes and bears when traveling the far North of Canada.. (BTW I try to stay out of California)
  2. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone plans to ride the Denali Highway it’s probably in the best condition I’ve ever seen. I just did it again this weekend and it was great, enough rain to keep the dust down but not quite enough to turn the road into mud.
    GastonC, bugzilla, Phoenix101 and 3 others like this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    oneodd1, outdoorsman and thirsty 1 like this.
  4. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Of course you will. They'll all be headed the other way. :lol3

On my last trip, leaving the state on Aug 17, I learned that locals refer to the August snowfalls that start coating higher elevations as "departure snow". :deal

Have a good trip!
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  5. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Close, most of the folks I know refer to the early snowfall high on the mountains as "termination dust" as in the termination of summer. The fireweed has also already topped out, which is another local sign that summer is coming to an end. Next up is our wet season, followed by snow which begins around Anchorage in mid October.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    Close? It was an exact quote of a local resident near Slana.

The Inuit have reportedly come up with 200 different names for snow. I'm sure there can be more than a few ways to label those early coatings on the mountains in English. :lol3

But I quite like "termination dust" as well.
  7. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, are ye trying to put me off travelling too? I don't get there till the 23rd August..... and yes I'm bringing a good proven rainsuit from Ireland with me..... just don't tell me to expect snow south of Wiseman before September......please!
  8. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :jack:jack:jack

Ok, we won't tell you. :deal

On a more serious note: You'll probably be fine, but you WILL hit rain along the way and when the clouds clear a bit, there will be lots of white lower down on the slopes then there was before.
    It may not reach the valley floor - much.
    Check conditions in advance before heading north of Fairbanks and any passes south of there.
    Good luck.
    Emasen, Bigbob1 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  9. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading north from SE Louisiana, departing this morning. Thanks to everyone who posted here and on several other ride reports for invaluable info and advice.
    Bigbob1, knight and AllSeasonRider like this.
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be here in plenty of time. A few years ago I headed for the east coast of the U.S. on August 25th and had great weather going south out of Alaska -
    [​IMG]

Hit the Alaska Highway northbound September 14th and waited for an early season snowfall to melt off the highway around Watson Lake, then had great weather the remainder of the trip. Road construction/repairs were still going on in Alaska, leading to the inevitable flaggers and stops.
    [​IMG]

If you are planning on going to Deadhorse, be aware that north of the Brooks Range mountains the seasonal weather change is delayed nearly a month due to proximity to the Arctic Ocean. There's a possibility of hitting snow at the top of Atigun Pass, but that usually lasts just a day or so early in the season.

In years past I have seen riders leaving the state, heading down to the South 48 as late as the end of October. You shouldn't have any serious trouble; just don't get in a hurry. Patience is a virtue - especially when traveling relatively remote highways in the far north.
  11. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ASR, ..I am in Palmer AK today and shipping my bike back to Ohio . August is the rainy season and believe me when I say 4-5 days straight. I tried waiting it out on the Dalton but no dice. Still great weather to be had but you should pack good rain gear and a spare set of gloves.

Be Safe
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @nunzo I appreciate weather is a fickle thing, but there was a trade off. I do see that August is pretty wet in coastal Alaska, but it's typically just as 'dry' as June in northern AK, YT, NWT and northern BC, and drier in places like Banff and Idaho where I'll be going through. My aim is the Demspter, so I prioritized the weather for that area most.

My gear is GoreTex and I'm bringing extra rain gear on top of it for the heavy days. I'm bringing 3 pairs of gloves - mesh, a heated/insulated/waterproof pair, and a non-insulated GoreTex pair.

I've found that keeping dry in downpours hasn't been an issue for me, but keeping warm has. I'll have heated gear for this trip which I didn't the last time I rode in a lot of rain, so it should all help.

Appreciate the heads up!
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Emasen like this.
  13. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Dempster was plenty wet this weekend, and windy too.
  14. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fail to prepare..... prepare to fail...... ride safe....... and remember there is always next year.
  15. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    crazy - glad it's over, but would prefer them alive for more answers...
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am happy the manhunt is over. I rode the Alcan four time this summer, on the last ride the vibe on the highway was not normal. I would pull into a turn out and the other travelers would run to their RV's or cars and lock the doors. No one wanted to chat, just keep to themselves unless we were in a campground around a bunch of other people. Things should get back to normal now.
  18. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The answers would more than likely be just as ( if not more than ) confusing as the crime. Let the devil have his way with them now!
    wingtraveler likes this.
  19. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190810_085004995.jpg Just checking in, I'm in Kalispell getting a new rear tire installed. This is a planned stop to have fresh rubber.

This is my old tire with about 5300 miles on it, had lots of life left, but changed it out of an abundance of caution. 1500 of those miles were commuting, the remainder were fully loaded, 2006 V-Strom DL1000.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have either the Klim or Aerostich waterproof over glove liners? My buddy had the Aerostich. The Klim dealer in Fairbanks only had them in Small. I recommend getting a pair. The rain goes on forever at times.
    Phoenix101 likes this.