Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Guls, Jun 13, 2018.

1. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Is you our "season closer?"
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Just got into Watson Lake, YT.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'm home now and thought I'd add some thoughts on the planning process and what ended up working and not working.

For weather, I had 8 days with no rain at all, and the rest of the 12 days had some amount of it. That said, it was rarely heavy, and only twice lasted for more than an hour. It was mostly on and off on the days it was wet, so I was never really soaked through. Because of this, I never ended up using the extra rain gear I had - my Klim Gore Tex gear kept me dry the whole time.

I used heated gear every day but 2, but I'm a softie. If it's 65 or colder, I'll use it when on a long ride.

I used bug repellent once in Boya Lake. I never used my bug net or wide brimmed hat. I used a charging brick once.

If I weren't flexible in my plans, I would would have been stopped by worse weather, including snow, in various places. Everyone says to be flexible and the weather dictate your plans. They're right.

My MotoZ GPS tires lasted the whole trip, and the rear has some life left in it still. Over 10,000 miles, about 1,500 of it on dirt/gravel roads.

Temps for the majority of my trip were in the 40 to 65 degree range, but got as low as 31-32 in a couple spots, and as high as 106 in Idaho.

Valdez was easily my favorite place in Alaska, but there's a lot I didn't get to see this trip.

Going to Tuk is totally worth it if you have the time and self hate to do the Dempster twice. You can camp up there, now, and if the weather is good I would do that. I had a small weather window, so I was only able to spend a couple of days up there.

Dawson City can get crowded and rooms hard to come by, so be prepared. I never had to camp because of it, but one night I spent at the Westminster and it's a pretty skeevy place, even though the bar is a riot.

That's a about all I can think of. Overall the trip went really well, according to plan, on schedule, and I think I really lucked out with the weather. I know June is the most popular time to go, but I found the later part of August to be ideal.
    zachd, 72 Yamaha RD350, 'Bob' and 7 others like this.
  4. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good time. I went in June this year and though i only used my heated gear 3 days out of 27 but it was totally worth the extra space for the jacket and gloves when i did use it. 52 degrees seems to be when my body says the down jacket under my once peice suit isn’t enough. I used a Klim Hardanger and also brought a spare set of rain gear for if it failed (never used prior to trip, but had aerostich experience prior, which leaked). I never used the rain gear the Klim did great.

I used the hell out of a 25000mah battery pack as I charged all my stuff at night, flashlight/sena/phone/D750 batts. I also charged my dad’s sena with it after his 12v died halfway. We camped almost the entire trip so it was nice to have something to soak up a charge on the bike all day to replenish battery’s in camp.

If anything I found that I overpacked clothes. When it’s 40-60 degrees you don’t sweat and can wear stuff for quite a few days. Khaki medical scrub cargo pants were mentioned here on ADV, I tried a pair and they’re awesome, cheap on amazon, light and pack well and like wearing sweatpants but presentable enough for dinner etc.

I skipped the dempster and dalton but plan to be back for those in the future now that I’ve seen everything on the coastline.

Like you the bug’s weren’t a factor. I’m from Maine and didn’t encounter anything worse than I’ve already experienced. We commented a bunch of times on how few bugs there were tbh. The worst Mosquito’s of the trip were in Montana in the plains, the second you stopped a hundred were on you, suckers wouldn’t let go until you were going 50+ again lol.
    zachd, travlr_45 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  5. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of us ( possibly more ) here in coastal ga. planning a trip in June of next year. For a first timer in that area these RR’s are invaluable.