Alaska 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Blue295, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I’m looking at riding from New Orleans are to Fairbanks this June. I’ve read lots of great post and gained valuable info, now I want to apply it.
    How does taking 10 days getting to Fairbanks sound.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right.. if you don't linger..

15 days if you plan to do alot of sightseeing/ side tracking..

i.e. 2 weeks up / 2 weeks back comfortably.. assume no major break downs.. lol
  3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    10-14days should be sufficient. What are you riding?
    You might haul azz across the flat lands till you get to the mountains then start playing tourist.
    bobsled likes this.
  4. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 BMW 1200 GSA. Put over 6000 miles so far. 350 mile day was easy, so I’ll try a 500 mile trek soon.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've got about 4200 miles to do by taking the shortest route. If you start doing some longer days to get yourself in shape ahead of time, and knock out a couple of 600 - 700 mile days at the start, you can slow down and do some flower sniffin' once you get up into the better scenery. Even if you run into some snotty weather (a lot will depend on what part of June you pick - early is usually drier, and it gets wetter toward the end - but nothing is guaranteed) ten days should be plenty, and will still give you some leeway to do a little sightseeing along the way.

Have your bike in top shape before you leave home - having to do repairs en route can eat up a lot of time that you don't want to spend along the way. Remember - you'll be riding in almost 24 hours of daylight once onto the Alaska Highway. For someone not accustomed to it, that can keep you going for a l-o-n-g day's riding.

For me, I'd figure about 5 or 6 days for the trip. But like Bigbob, I've been traveling most of that distance for a long time and don't spend much time rubber-necking any more. You'll want to take enough time to enjoy it. If the weather is decent, there are a lot of photo opportunities along the way.
    Parcero and Bigbob1 like this.
  6. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    best ride is to burn across the plain stated and take your time in mountains, You can only look at so much grass lands. If you plan to stop at every pull off for picture it will take you most of the summer to get there and back. Pick and choose wisely. But still a great trip. Can't wait to go back.
    Parcero likes this.
  7. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m not much of a flower sniffer or photographer. Plan on pushing the miles in the states and up to Dawson Creek to start the Alcan. I’ll slow down some when I get to the mountains. Being from Louisiana even hills are nice to me. I want to try and get to Fairbanks in 14 days or so, if the weather cooperates. Then I’ll decide where I want to ride to the Artic Circle. Also if I can get to Prudoe Bay.
    Parcero and Bigbob1 like this.
  8. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I’m also planning an Alaska trip, but from Chicago. I’ll do it in the same manner, a fast trip out and back and a bit slower to enjoy the scenery when I get there.

I’m glad to see so many inmates supportive of your plan to cover a lot of miles quickly. I remember many posts in the past discouraging that practice. “You won’t see anything that way,” “250 miles per day is optimal,” “It’s unsafe,” “All day on the super slab isn’t my idea of fun,” etc. were the typical responses to high daily mileage plans.

For me, that’s often the only way to be able to squeeze in an epic trip. Also, from where I live it’s two days of flat and straightness just to get to anything interesting.

Have fun, and be sure to do a ride report so we can follow along.
    Franknsr and Bigbob1 like this.
  9. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    Went to Alaska in 2012 for 30 day trip, it was fantastic , camped the hole way with very little rain. Left the middle of June . Going to follow the AMA National Enduro series this year. If that falls thru its off to Alaska again. Nice to be retired and a wife that understands.
    nunzo, Folly1, Parcero and 1 other person like this.
  10. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m probably retiring early next year so I’m hoping to have lots of time to ride, or golf.
    I’ve gotten the time for my Alaska trip, have the bike and finances set so it’s time. Have most of my gear sorted, boots, Klim Blade goretex jacket and modular helmet. Still working on gloves and pants.
  11. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to Ak from OH this past summer and it took 12 days to get to Hyder AK (Alaska Light). I was taking it relatively easy. Can dan is one large country and it could be 4-5 days from the US Border to Poker Creek. I was taking it relatively easy and I ams sure a couple days could be shaved off.
    Parcero likes this.
  12. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea I’m sure 250 miles will be before lunch. I’ve ridden farther several times on my Harley and my R1200 GSA is more comfortable. This will be my first time crossing the border so I’m excited about that.
    Parcero likes this.
  13. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i'm also headed that way June 27 2020 i'm use to riding long distant miles on my wing 750-1100 a day i know this AT i have isnt anything like my wing but i've been west a few times and seen enough so i'll be crusin till Dawson creek also. have 5 weeks have this itch to do Tuk and coldfoot.
  14. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to ride the Alcan Highway and get to the Artic Circle regardless of the weather. If all works out I’ll get to the Artic ocean also. It’s been 10 years since I’ve camped off a motorcycle but want to try on this trip.