Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a quote from Canada Border Services....
    "You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements. You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:

• proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
    • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south"
    If you want to get into the nitty gritty details, visit this website https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

I'm simply trying to be realistic about what we're dealing with. Forget tourism in Canada, you can't even drive straight through without a darned good reason at this time!
    Bigbob1 and Glenn247 like this.
  2. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @YT Dave I appreciate you providing me some "black and white" on this, but the "black and white" states "...can't transit through Canada by land", however, Americans are still flying into Canada, and then moving about within Canada, just as all those Canadians are flying down to Florida, and then moving about in Florida...

Many Canadian RVs have crossed the land border via essential hauling companies, and then the Canadian RV owners take a 12-minute charter flight over the border to link up with their RVs...

Why would this not be possible with Canadian motorcycles and their Canadian owners, and vice-versa for American riders?
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This seems like an extraordinary amount of trouble for a border crossing. Human nature is so interesting, always wanting what we can’t have. Just take a trip in the US main land this year if things don’t open up. Even when they do open, they are probably going require proof of vaccine and I think I recall you mentioning you are not getting it.
    GP640, rkover1 and Bigbob1 like this.
  4. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Only time will tell...but desperate times call for desperate measures...I commend those Canadians roaming about my Mom's trailer park in Florida; they were able to make it happen...

And if those elderly Canadian retirees can make it happen, then inmates here can too, with their bikes...

Life is too short to wait for the border to become open to rolling over it with your wheels...I wonder how many inmates have passed away and will pass away while delaying their dream ride...

Gentlemen, let's not stand by while our window closes completely...

If we get a "group buy" organized, we could possibly get a high volume discount rate from a commercial hauling company moving our bikes back and forth...

I'm looking into it now as it appears land border crossings won't be possible this Summer...there is a sense of urgency as you never know when you'll lose your health or life while waiting...
    Cal likes this.
  5. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree with you more. There's an awful lot of amazing places to see here in the US. There are fantastic motorcycle routes from one end of this country to the other. I know that for fact as Delaware is the only State that I've not ridden through. The close proximity to fantastic motorcycle riding is the reason that my wife and I moved here from Canada when I retired. My reasons for wanting to return to Canada are simply to see family and I think I might have a friend or two left there as well. Having a beer with them would be nice. Yeah, a trip to Canada for a visit would be great, but like they say in Thailand, Phuket, it's just gonna have to wait.
    Hogges, fozrunner, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I did not say to sit and wait. Have you done the TAT? Sam released new sections recently. How about all of the BDR in all states? Mexico is open and offers a nearly endless amount of riding. The bonus to that is it costs about a 1/4 the money per day to travel south of the border.

For what you are going to spend to fly your bike into Canada, then back out again into AK, then do it all in reverse, you could fly to Vietnam and buy a bike and tour for a few months.
    Ginger Beard, knight and Glenn247 like this.
  7. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Human nature never ceases to amaze me, too...

We are really good at rationalizing things and adapting to our circumstances...

I'm going to try to take the advice in this thread, and convince myself to change my hopes and dreams to riding in the lower 48...

I'm still open to a synergy of efforts and funds to make riding in Canada possible this Summer, and riding in the US possible for Canadians...

If inmate synergy doesn't reach critical mass, I will ride what is possible, however restricted that area may be...
  8. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Canada and AK are the only places you have on your list to ride?

Mongolia, South America, Vietnam, Eastern Europe, are a few places on my list that I would happily substitute an AK trip for.

AK is a special place but not any more special than any other remote Moto touring spot. For what it cost us to ride to AK for a month, I could have spent 4 months in Mexico. And Mexico was hotels every night and eating out, not camping and cooking meals.
    Ginger Beard and Glenn247 like this.
  9. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Upon which date will this thread's title change from "2021" to "2022 Trip Planning"?

If the land border crossing restriction is extended into July, is that the point of no return this year?

Perhaps at this point, whenever it may be, is when inmates will begin to seriously consider my proposal and move to create synergies...

Paging @fozrunner
  10. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Happy Easter all...

It won't...

If that comes to pass, I leave it to another inmate to pick up the mantle and start a 2022 planning thread.

Right now the Canadian border is limited to non-discretionary travel. The who, what, where, when, and why are pretty specific in the link below for entry into Canada.

Who can enter Canada < < < < "Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible." The term "eligible" is further defined by the Government of Canada.

"Failure to comply with the current border restrictions is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to $750,000 in fines, and/or imprisonment of up to 6 months. If a traveller causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while willfully or recklessly contravening this act or the regulations, they could be liable for up to $1,000,000 in fines, and/or imprisonment of up to 3 years." < < < <
    Yinzer Moto, Bigbob1 and fozrunner like this.
  11. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

End of July is the point of no return for me. I'm hoping there will be a decision in the third week of May that will make things clear. If not, I will probably run out of time. I doubt we will hear a lot before May. Opening is certainly not being talked about at the moment because of the third wave and the variants driving it across Canada. Many places have gone into modified lock down again. My little city is seeing more cases than ever before and our ICU is at near capacity. The alarming part is that the average age in the ICU is something like 54.

The reason for my previous post was simply to give my impressions of what may happen, and a crude guideline for planning. The Yukon is doing well with vaccinations ranging from 52-79% for first dose as of March 29th, and 25-70% for two doses. The Yukon travel site is becoming more active with posts on social media, talking about vacations when things open up. So that is positive.

https://yukon.ca/this-is-our-shot#vaccine-progress-in-yukon

I can see why people in the US are upset that CDN's can fly down there, but it's not reciprocated up here. I know heaps of people who went to Florida and Phoenix, and got their vaccinations sooner than similar seniors up here in Canada. Have patience, things should be better on both sides of the border in late May and we should have a good prediction for the end of June.
  12. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With Michigan numbers surging, Canada was smart to try to stop the spread to the north.

I'm still being an anti-social hermit on the hill, but I did just get my 2nd dose a few days ago, so I'm feeling more optimistic about this season.

I'd really like to go to Alaska at some point, but I'd settle for a leisurely trip around Lake Superior first.
    black 8, Yinzer Moto and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Glenn247 likes this.
  14. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    @fozrunner that article states most Canadians want the border to remain closed...

And with Canadians able to fly into the US and pay hauling firms to roll their vehicles over land border crossings as I proved in my previous posts, why would any pressure be applied?

This is why I asked you where the pressure would come from and what it would look like, because I wanted to share your optimistim...

I'm trying to confirm if Americans are denied entry when flying into Canada because I've read about Americans flying into Canada despite living minutes from the border and previously being able to walk or drive over it in minutes to visit friends and family down the road...

For them, what used to take 20 minutes or less, has become a 10+ hour affair involving multiple flights and long driving distances to and from airports...this was explained by folks on the Vermont-Quebec border...

Darn shame all the way around for not only us wanting to roll two wheels over...
  15. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    There was another article in the Toronto Star indicating that talks are starting between the governments, and the tenor of the article was that evidence suggests that the border should open late June and by Canada Day (July 1) if there is to be an economic recovery for border businesses. It unfortunately is a pay article. Indeed most people up here at the moment support the closed borders given the third wave we are experiencing. However things should be much different in a months time if these lockdowns work and the vaccinations keep rolling out. The Star article says there is a group of US politicians in the border states that want vaccines from the US to be shipped up to Canada (once the US has an excess supply), in order to get more Canadians vaccinated and the borders open. If the J&J vaccine comes North and Novavax come on line this will be a game changer, and we already have enough doses for one shot for all Canadians by July 1.

I know quite a few Canadians who went down to Florida. They are my dad's golf buddies and we zoom talk them every other week. Many are now wondering how to get back, previously they headed back by late April to file tax returns and make sure their health insurance was not in jeopardy. They are not happy that they will have to isolate in a gov't authorized hotel at a cost of $2,000 when they return. This population of snowbirds has some political clout so they will be lobbying for a more open border for those who have been vaccinated.

Americans who are not deemed essential workers are definitely denied entry into Canada at the moment, whether it be by land or air. There are compassionate exceptions on a case by case basis for family reunifications and end of life visits.
    Bigbob1 and Glenn247 like this.
  16. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    @fozrunner Overall, great brief, despite the depressing nature of it...

So those Canadians returning to Canada from Florida have no choice but to hole up in government-approved quarantine sites at their own expense?

I believe we are going to have double or triple mutant strains in the US now that many states have opened up...this will likely produce 4th and 5th waves which will preclude the border from opening for non-essential land crossings...

Also, according to the government experts, we need about 80% of our populations vaccinated to reach herd immunity, and this high threshold may never happen due to vaccine hesitancy and many folks not returning for their second shots as required...

For example, a recent AP Poll found half of Americans intend to refuse the shots:

https://www.wjhg.com/2021/03/17/hal...-covid-19-vaccine-if-it-were-offered-to-them/

Lastly, COVID booster shots will likely be needed later this year or next year to address the variants current vaccines are unable to protect against...

We may have to write off Summer 2021 and set our sights on Summer 2022...

We may be in the calm before the storm at the moment...
  17. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Another option...

Would any inmates be willing to pool resources in order to secure a cargo aircraft to fly our bikes between a central location in the lower 48 and Alaska?

We could fly commercial passenger aircraft between the lower 48 and Alaska if hitching a ride on the cargo aircraft isn't possible...

This cargo aircraft could be a rotator during the Summer; perhaps we contract a series of flights during a 90 day period, or just one flight with return...

We need to seriously begin exploring these options now that the border land crossing outlook for this Summer may be more grim than we think it is...

UK and Chile have a high percentage of their populations vaxxed and are still in lockdowns, so take that into consideration...

I'm sure there are some inmates with logistics experience and expertise, or connections to the aviation industry...

The sooner we move on this, the better our chances will be of riding in Alaska this Summer...
  18. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of reinventing the wheel just take the Alaska ferry...

Don't have enough vacation time for the ferry or your prone to get sea sick? You still have lots of options.

There are barges and cargo ships that sail to Alaska weekly. They will get your bike to and from Alaska but the logistics if your not in the PNW might be a bit much.

Fly to Anchorage and rent a bike.

If your heart is set on Air freighting your bike and flying might I suggest contacting Alaska Airlines air cargo. As a former purchasing agent in the office furniture business in Alaska I have air freighted goods, tools and installers all over Alaska. I am certain Alaska Air cargo would get you and your bike to Alaska for less than trying to charter an air freighter.

If you don't want to deal with Alaska Airline due to having a tons of points on some other airlines that's not a problem, Anchorage is a freight hub for just about all airlines.
    black 8 likes this.
  19. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank your lucky stars you're not a Port Roberts resident. I had never heard of the place until this news story.

20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Bighammer49686
    That news report applies to SE Alaska too. Lot's of businesses have closed, some for good.
    Hyder get's all of their food, medical from Canada. Haines and Skagway are in the same boat, a lot of residents do their shopping and medical in the Yukon.
    Having the border closed has much larger consequence's than a few riders that can't ride where they want to.
    Glenn247 likes this.