Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can these places sustain another year of land border crossings being restricted?

Other inmates in other threads are predicting the border won't open this Summer, perhaps November at the earliest...

How many inmates and others will be riding to Alaska Summer 2022, assuming we can't this year and we will be able to next Summer?

I have a feeling resources will be strained by a deluge of tourists if and when the border opens again...
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder what is up with Hyder AK, there is nothing in that town.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  3. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Will this pandemic create "new" ghost towns in Alaska and US border states?

Which places in Alaska and US border states will there be a deluge of inmates and other tourists if and when the border ever opens to leisure land crossings?

Roaring 20s if you will...
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe they relaxed some border restrictions so the kids could go to school and they could get food. I saw one report where they would call friends in Stewart who would buy food and set it at the border then they would pick it up. I have not heard anything lately.
    black 8, Glenn247 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  5. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I've seen photos in articles showing friends and family members meeting at the border, sitting on their respective sides in lawn chairs as they weren't allowed to come within 6 feet of each other...

So @Bigbob1 seems to be tracking this gray area as well...sounds like the powers that be were very gracious to those in Hyder...I wonder who authorized those exceptions...

So are the roaring 20's going to begin in 2022, or 2023?

Will this pandemic create "new" ghost towns in Alaska and US border states?

Which places in Alaska and US border states will there be a deluge of inmates and other tourists if and when the border ever opens to leisure land crossings?
  6. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a meeting with the Premiers of the provinces and the Prime Minister the border reopening talks came up. Of course it's too early for a plan, but there is some hope for the summer.

"New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs said that in his meeting with the other premiers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Wednesday evening, the PM told leaders it's possible that surplus U.S. vaccines could find their way into Canada in time to reopen the border for the summer.

"He suggested that it is a possibility yes, and he does think there is a, I guess, a mutual interest there that would be respected. But are there any commitments at this point? No, there are not," Higgs told Power & Politics on Wednesday.

"The reality of having a summer where it's almost normal, with vaccines in, say, 70-80 per cent of the population, I think it does give us hope and it could happen quickly. They are producing a lot of vaccines in the U.S." "
    GS4All, Glenn247, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  7. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fozrunner, Bigbob1 and black 8 like this.
  8. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Some good news on cooperation and looking ahead to open borders. May not happen soon, but these steps will help.

North Dakota offers free vaccinations to Manitoba truckers travelling to U.S.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-north-dakota-vaccine-essential-workers-1.5994519

"We have an opportunity to begin a plan to vaccinate as many as 4,000 Manitobans in the weeks ahead. And the timely and effective administration of vaccines is going to be a key part of public health and the eventual, and hopefully soon, safe reopening of our shared border."

North Dakota and Manitoba share the fifth-busiest border crossing between the U.S. and Canada. In 2019 alone, North Dakota's exports to Canada totalled $6 billion, Burgum said.

The governor said he's honoured to be part of this first-of-its-kind initiative between the two countries.

"I hope we'll see more of this spreading across the Canadian border from coast to coast."

Bigbob1 and Hogges like this.
  9. fozrunner

Oddometer:
  10. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be expected. The J&J and Astra Zeneca pauses/warnings aren’t helping to give much hope for this riding season.
  11. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Yukon to drop self-isolation requirement for people who arrive fully vaccinated

https://trk.cp20.com/click/e7a4-2e5...hs2shja3fs5dxpfuugrbsn5lxq32beuzuijjtiqrh2===

Interesting development. Once fully vaccinated we can now travel to the Yukon. Alberta will soon open vaccination to anyone over 12 years of age, our second shot of vaccine should come sooner than expected, maybe early June! Most of my friends and relatives in the US have now received two doses.
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    That's some good news coming from up north...

For my neck of the woods here in SoCal, vaccine walk in appointments are now allowed...

The bike has been ready, I've gotten my second shot, now I just need the border to open in the next three or four months. I'm waiting to see what progress is made towards more vaccinations until the decision makers are comfortable with opening said border.

On other news: EU Moves Closer To Welcoming Vaccinated Tourists This Summer...
  13. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    CavReconSGT and Gordon like this.
  14. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i was hopeful by mid-July i will be able to cross the border to Canada. moving my expectation to August - September....:ricky
  15. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Bigbob1 and black 8 like this.
  16. CA_Rage

CA_Rage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigbob1 and black 8 like this.
  17. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! Next up: Alaska Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three best friends and I are flying up to Anchorage, renting, riding, fueling, staying, eating, drinking, buying -- >$20k will flow from us into Alaskan businesses. We can't make it up to Canada later, but we will resume as soon as they let us.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  18. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    The economy can use the business :clap
  19. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear that someone is gonna see Alaska from two wheels this year. Good on you!
  20. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My decision day will be July 21 for a go or no go Utah to Alaska via Canada departing August 17. The last thing I want to do is cancel all my reservations but if the border is not open it's not going to happen. I've been fully vaccinated since March and hoping that the Canadians will at least open the border to vaccinated individuals desiring to enter for recreation. If they continue to keep the door shut I won't be back. Sorry. Here's to hoping that we are enjoying Banff, Jasper, BC, YT and Alaska this year!
    fozrunner likes this.