Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. BikerBerger

BikerBerger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is time to start a “Alaska Trip Planning 2022” thread. Lord willing and if the creeks don’t rise, I am heading to Alaska again.
  2. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm thinking about Alaska again in 22.
    black 8, idea man and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still cautiously optimistic about opening the border mid-July, at least to fully vaccinated Americans. Canada passed 50% of our population with a first dose and we're on our way to 70-75%. We're still far short of second doses administered (only around 4-6%), but that should rise in June. Most seniors over 75 have had two doses, but that falls as age drops below 70. In my area the first dose stats are as follows LETHBRIDGE - WEST
    Percent of people immunized at least one dose
    75+: 90.9%, (1451 people)
    60-74: 86.7%, (4249 people)
    40-59: 75.4%, (6562 people)
    20-39: 59%, (8063 people)
    12-19: 85.7%, (2191 people)
    All ages: 57.9%, (22642 people)

This shows a great uptake of vaccines as they become available. In rural Alberta the uptake hasn't been as good, but it is catching up. There's lots of talk about having some sort of Calgary Stampede up here starting on July 9th. If cases keep dropping in June and we keep getting more vaccines we should be in good shape.
  4. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t blame the Canadians. I wouldn’t let us in either. :-) Starting instead to plan for 2022. Haven’t been to AK in awhile. I miss the drive/ride.
  5. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    My calendar is set. Leaving Maine June 3rd 2022 for Alaska.
    shotty_co, black 8 and CavReconSGT like this.
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long are you spending on the trip?

KR
  7. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    I have 4 weeks, Last time I took a bike ride and went from Maine to Tuktoyaktuk with a ride over to Chicken. That was 17 days round trip.
    Hogges likes this.
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I have plans to do Tuk and Deadhorse and lots of spots between. A slow meander from CT/NH to those spots. Was thinking of starting on May 1 but I have 4 months to do it. I am wondering if I should wait a little longer to start though.

KR
    black 8 and rubline like this.
  9. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    I hit Tuk early June last time. There was 4 days of sun and no rain so I made my way up the Dempster. The Ferries has only started operating the week before. Keep a close eye on the weather. Bugs were very light. Warm during the day and cooler at night but nothing us New England boys could not handle.
    Hogges and CavReconSGT like this.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Maybe Deadhorse first and then Tuk.

KR
    Lizzard323 and rubline like this.
  11. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    Deadhorse is my goal this time, everything else will just be icing on the cake.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  13. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes the ferry from Bellingham is a nice way to see the inside passage. It's spendy but scenic and on a normal year riding back is a good option but with the border still closed that is not going to happen.
    Dan Diego, Gordon and Dan Lorenze like this.
  14. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Canada eyeing multi-stage approach to reopening the border to travellers

The pressure on politicians is now definitely ramping up, something may be up for July.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trudeau-international-visitors-restrictions-1.6056584

Canada is now at 61.7% vaccinated with a first dose and 7.9% fully vaccinated. Second doses are ramping up, I get mine next week (I actually delayed it so the interval b/n doses was closer to 12 weeks). My wife gets her's tmw and my 95Year old dad got his 2nd dose on Sunday. The uptake in most of the population is pretty good, so things should advance fairly quickly.
    black 8, Bigbob1 and Yukon Ho! like this.
  15. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Y’all better be ready for massive amounts of traffic headed to AK in 2022. Bring a tent cause lodging will be tough. AK highway will look like an interstate in LA. Motorhomes, bikes, hikers etc. Just my guess. I just drove the highway last week. No one but a few Canadians and US peeps headed to military bases and homes in AK.
  16. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Dead horse is a nice ride. TUK is the place though.
    fozrunner and rubline like this.
  17. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    This is interesting, if true. An announcement of some sort is rumoured to be in the cards for Friday, June 11th.

Changes to Canada-U. S. border restrictions could be announced as soon as Friday

"OTTAWA—An announcement could come as soon as Friday on how fully vaccinated people can more easily travel between Canada and the U.S as the first step in a plan to reopen the border."

"The current closure order expires June 21, so many eyes are on that day for the start of a new approach.
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau refused Tuesday to confirm that target."

"Making the announcement by Friday would give 10 days for the first of any changes to roll out. It would also come while Justin Trudeau is in the U.K. for the G7 summit, where the manner in which global economies will gear up post-pandemic is the main topic. With U.S. President Joe Biden in attendance, a chance to make a feel-good announcement on the border could be a win for both countries."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...are-fully-vaccinated-justin-trudeau-says.html
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've done both ferries, Did BC ferry to Bella Coola, BC and back by land 1st then the AK Marine Hwy ferry with stops for a wilderness fly-in @ Ketchican, then in Juneau and then on to mainland AK.
    Question: if we were to come this year on the AK ferry, how normal are lodging choices, all types of businesses being open, fishing charters, etc., etc. in SE AK and mainland AK? Thanks...
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8, CavReconSGT and kantuckid like this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are not cruise ship fodder. We are thinking of an RV rental vs. a car but only for mainland AK, not SE AK. As we age some comfort is likeable but we are not big box hotel lovers either. Last time in Juneau we stayed at the old hotel DT-Silver something? Hiked up the glacier and around there, did a salmon bake N of DT. Might also just do the SE AK stops we haven't been to yet. Thanks for the link.
    In the small world category my hillbilly student dentist here in KY for the past two years, he married a fellow student who came down here for dental school from Anchorage. She's working in Florence, KY mostly a burb of Cinn, OH and not my kinda place. maybe she'll work him up there like women such as my wife pulled off? :lol2
    Bigbob1 likes this.