Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless there is something else announced by the end of the day I'm pretty disappointed with the progress so far. Letting Canadians and permanent residents back into the country with no isolation if they've received two vaccines is a no-brainer. Hardly a vast improvement in the border controls for July. Waiting until 75% of Canadians to get the full two doses before opening the border could take forever!
    We really should be opening the border to anyone who is two weeks past thier second immunization, the risk to the country or our health care system would be minimal.

The USA may go it alone and open the border on their side, but that won't help folks travel through Canada to Alaska. It may allow vaccinated Canadians to go to Alaska and return with no isolation, but who knows if that will happen. I've given up on my Alaska plans now, I'll probably head to Vancouver Island and do parts of the TCAT.
    black 8, CavReconSGT and Bigbob1 like this.
  2. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Just be grateful you don't live in the NWT!
    Lizzard323, rubline and fozrunner like this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    2C16DD89-DD3A-4FC2-AFB6-877EB9160F64.png Looks like a perfect weather for a ride up the Dempster to Inuvik and then a ride on out to Tuk. I am so tired of these restrictions on all of our lives.
    23103a and rubline like this.
  4. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The border closure was extended to July 21st
  6. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a big surprise but bummer nevertheless. The border regions are hurting economically in a big way. I was up at Derby Line, VT a couple of weeks ago. Shuttered stores, bleak looking.

Attached Files:

CavReconSGT and black 8 like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile at a Buc-ee's along the I-10...
    7.jpeg

I've done four combinations of cross-country rides/drives from SoCal to Florida since the beginning of 2021. I took this photo last week while driving home from Florida with the family.

All I can say is - people are itching to get out! and with that itch comes tourism $$$$ being spent...
    CavReconSGT, NSFW and Bigbob1 like this.
  8. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that July 21st will be the end of the border closure.
    I think both countries need time to get rules in order and vaccination record systems to keep track of things and avoid the long cross-border quarantines.
    Also, there are 65 million more doses of vaccine arriving in July and August, which means that almost everyone has the opportunity in Canada to be fully vaccinated.

9. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    @black 8 What's the word? Are you still planning to do your trip?
    Look me up or send a message if you come through the Rockies near Calgary.
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm still keeping an eye on the border situation while at the same time weighing my options... There have been lots of conjecture about the matter but no solid plan to reopen.

Recently, I've been "gaming" scenarios if the border did open or remained closed...

a. Border opens sometime in July or August in time for a ride to Alaska and back:
    ~ What businesses survived/didn't survive along the route? gas, food, lodging...?
    ~ What services will be open along the route? gas, food, lodging, sightseeing, attractions, etc...? hours of availability?
    ~ How will our northern neighbors react to seeing U.S. plated vehicles coming through their community? specially in the more rural areas...
    ~ What covid rules will be in effect in each province/territory up north? even traveling through the U.S. rules for masking and seated dining vary state to state...
    ~ Inflation is on the rise... how will this affect gas prices and availability in the remote areas of the ALCAN and Stewart Highway?

b. Border opens late in the season and does not allow enough time to ride...
    ~ Obviously push to 2022, but there will be pent-up demand to travel north next year...
    ~ Some inmates have already made the decision for a 2022 run, what will lodging and campground availability look like for 2022? have they made future reservations already?
    ~ I could ride early in the season (late April/May) to beat the hordes making their way north but the temps will be colder...

c. Given a & b, would it be more prudent to wait until 2023 when the demand dies down?
    ~ I could continue to save my adventure fund and have one hell of a time in 2023...

superfunkomatic and CavReconSGT like this.
  11. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Whenever it opens I will be contacting all of my normal gas stops along the
    alcan and Cassiar to see it they survived. I will post that info so folks can plan their trips.
    Gordon, CavReconSGT and black 8 like this.
  12. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the Americans out seems to be playing well in Canada, as there is no rational reason for the border to be closed to vaccinated travelers.
  13. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Our northern border is closed to driving/riding Canadians too?

At this moment the Yukon is having a large amount of active cases just after starting to open up to neighboring provinces.
    Gordon likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know. Back in March/April there were a lot down in Florida.

KR
  15. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    I know there are loopholes that allowed Canadian snowbirds to go south. But to the driving public the border has been closed. My friends in the Yukon can not ride down to see us and we can't ride north to see them.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    BLUF: "The change does not apply to fully vaccinated non-citizens who are looking to visit for non-essential reasons..." according to the article.

~ Canada lifting restrictions for fully vaccinated travellers in early July... CTV News article dated 21 June 2021...

1.jpeg

I followed the "are currently able to enter link" and answered the question asked and led me to the page below; NO BUENO...
    2.jpeg

even tried other radial button and still NO BUENO...
    Untitled.jpeg
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    "Canada will be lifting most international travel restrictions FOR Canadians, permanent residents, and certain foreign nationals who are fully vaccinated, allowing those eligible to travel to do so with more ease, starting in early July."
  18. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So nothing new, really, if you hold a US passport and not (or also) a Canadian one.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Nope... easier for Canadians to travel abroad but still blocks non-citizens for optional travel...

Where's the reciprocity?
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally irrational.