Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:
    If I had to make a guess, and it's just that, I would say that the fed is looking for a way to actually verify vaccinations from non-Canadians. Here when you register for the vaccine they use your health number. Its similar to a social insurance number in the way that its a government (though in this case provincial not federal) issued card with a number that corresponds to you only and is used every time you access the health care system. I don't know how it works in other provinces but I would suspect its the same. So after you get your vaccination I'm assuming it is tagged to your health number and health records. Since its a government system it should be easier for them to verify if you have been vaccinated. That's the way it should work anyway.

Covid is a much more political issue in the US than it is here, though we do have our "special" types here as well. With all the reports of people trying to fake cards excusing them from wearing masks or falsely claiming vaccination it's possible that they want to wait until the majority of the population here are fully vaccinated before they start opening the borders and having to wade through the processes of having to verify peoples claims of vaccination. For the most part I would hope that everyone coming to the border would be honest and follow the rules but since we experienced quite a few US travellers who were suppose to be transiting straight to Alaska but actually went on vacation in various provinces doing touristy things, the government can't take that chance.

There's also the scenario that they open the border to fully vaccinated travellers and people who aren't vaccinated at all still show up demanding to be let it because let's be honest, those types of people think they have that privilege and right to do so. Then you have border personnel having to deal with those people instead of letting through legitimate travellers.

Somebody might look at that and say "I'm not going to do that" and a lot of the people on here (I hope) wouldn't but the government can't make exceptions. Let's face it, as a group, tourists for the most part are not terribly smart and do dumb things all the time. Ask any park ranger. That'll be the vast majority showing up at the borders. Heck, they were still showing up to the border trying to get in long after it was closed. Unfortunately adventure motorcyclists are a small minority.

Although it's entirely possible that that I'm completely wrong. I'm pretty sure that has happened once or twice.
    black 8, Bigbob1 and Hogges like this.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is remarkably easy to fix. You can't come in, if they push the issue they have a suspension for a year. If they push it farther, arrest or lifetime ban or both. Easy peasy.

KR
    DukeMButu and patrkbukly like this.
  3. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rubline, Hogges, CavReconSGT and 2 others like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    That's certainly welcome news!

“... ongoing discussions with the United States on reopening plans, and indicated that we could expect to start allowing fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel.”
  5. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will remain interesting. Mid August is vague and Trudeau explicitly reserves the right to change his mind. The July 21 deadline is fast approaching and I have not read anything official about renewing it.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Canadian federal government indicated Thursday that the plan and details of the next border phase would be provided early this week with revised restrictions and permissions by July 21. Trudeau verbally advocated opening the border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens by mid-August for non-essential travel. Indications from provincial government leaders seem to support the idea. I'm sure we're all interested in seeing movement toward an open border. My bags are packed and bike is ready to roll! Hoping to cross in on August 18 headed north to Alaska.
  8. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As announced minutes ago... The Canadian border will open to fully vaccinated U.S. residents for non-essential travel on August 9. Admission will include proof of a negative COVID-19 test result which must be digitally uploaded on ArriveCAN app as well as physical presentation of both vaccination cert and negative test result at the time of the border entry point. The U.S. has not yet announced re-admission requirements for vaccinated U.S. citizens desiring admission at U.S. border crossing locations.
    Hogges, black 8 and JustKip like this.
  9. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    So you could potentially leave your country and have readmission problems at the Alaska border?
  10. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess anything is possible until clarified by the U.S. but I suspect the U.S. will respond with their permissions and restrictions at Canadian/U.S. border entry points by July 21.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Canada Border Services Agency News Release...

"All travellers, regardless of vaccination status, will still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result. However effective August 9, 2021, the Government of Canada is adjusting its post-arrival testing strategy for fully vaccinated travellers. Using a new border testing surveillance program at airports and land border crossings, fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test. There are no changes to the mandatory testing requirements for unvaccinated travellers."

If I'm reading this correctly you still need to provide a negative Covid test prior to entering Canada... HOWEVER, starting Aug 9th no other follow-up tests are required... :clap

Now we just need the US guv'ment's requirements for cross border travel...
    Bigbob1, Gordon and Hogges like this.
  12. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last I heard Alaska is stiil in the US, Citizens of the US can't be denied entry back into their country. Regardless.
    black 8 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, the US border was never closed to US citizens wanting to return to their country.
    black 8, Gordon and Bigbob1 like this.
  14. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Readmission clarified today...

(CNN)The Biden administration is extending non-essential travel restrictions for the US northern and southern borders until August 21.

The US has been limiting non-essential travel along both borders since the start of the pandemic and extending those restrictions on a monthly basis. The restrictions don't apply to cross-border trade, US citizens and lawful permanent residents, as well as people traveling for medical purposes or to attend school, among others.

Unfortunately, the US border remains closed to Canadian citizens for non-essential travel for another 30 days. I thank and appreciate our Canadian friends for enabling my trip plans.
    CavReconSGT and black 8 like this.
  15. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @black 8 Sorry I posted this on your other thread.

@GS4All Please check on all the BC forest fires around a lot of the normal routes north

I have been checking on all my normal gas stops and they seem to have survived. Most are in the community's so no issues with them.
    The longest run would be Watson Lake to Teslin, 162 miles. Continental Divide Services on this leg may be open but I have not been able to confirm that yet. There are other stops along the Alcan that may be open but these are my stops. Riding a Wing and some times pulling a Roll-A-Home camper with no extra gas other than a 30oz fuel bottle.

Dawson Creek
    Pink Mountain, 140 mi
    Fort Nelson, 140 mi
    Toad River, 117 mi
    Coal River Lodge, 107 mi New owners that are fixing up the place
    Watson Lake, 94 mi
    Teslin, 162 mi
    Whitehorse, 110 mi
    Haines Junction, 100 mi
    Destruction Bay, 66 mi
    Beaver Creek, 116 mi.
    Tok, 110 mi
    Delta Junction, 107 mi
    Fairbanks, 95 mi
    CavReconSGT and GS4All like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I saw that on the Federal Register's Website, the Official Document < is set for publication tomorrow...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel Bigbob1...
  18. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BC Canada current road conditions are available at www.drivebc.ca and Yukon Territory current road conditions at www.511yukon.ca

I will be traveling hwy 97 through BC and hwy 1 through YT to Alaska. Looks like I will need to figure out where to find a molecular COVID-19 test in AK 72hrs prior to re-entering Canada YT to get down to Skagway to catch the ferry. Thanks for the head's up on gas availability. Gas is also available at Muncho Lake.
    CavReconSGT and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes to gas at Muncho, the most expensive gas you will ever purchase. I fill at Toad River and top off at Coal River. In the past Coal River does have premium gas for those that need it. Most other remote gas stops only have regular.
    CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  20. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, gas is $$$$ at Muncho Lake but I love spending my S.S. on enabling bike trips at almost any price! Gas prices pale in comparison to the ticket & cabin cost on the Alaska Marine Hwy ferry back to Bellingham. My wife's favorite campsite is the Victoria Marriott on Vancouver Island!
    Folly1, Hogges and Bigbob1 like this.