Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/testing.aspx

Plenty of places to get a Covid test on your way out. Do check around though, some have fees while others are free.
    Edited to add: Be sure to check the turn around time, especially if you’re in a rural location. Lots of places have rapid tests but not all.
    GS4All likes this.
  2. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering, as we’re a few of you folks about when Canada opens up will they open up Poker creek station. Poker creek is the border station on the top of the world highway and is currently closed. I called the customs guys and they said they weren’t sure and it was up to Canada. If Canada opens their side of the border the US will too.
    The guy said he was thinking they’d know something around the 5th of August and to call back.
    The local number for customs is 907-774-2252.
    rubline, black 8 and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:

yes... barring the bureaucrats changing their minds, I plan to make my way north next month basecamping and hauling a bike. I wanna' take advantage of the lack of/very little travelers on the road that time of year. The reason for basecamping instead of moto centric, I want to loiter around past labor day to catch the autumn color in Alaska and the Canadian provinces.

I'm anticipating travelers will make their way north en masse next year so I'll wait for the demand to wane before making a moto centric trip in 2023...
    rickj, CavReconSGT and Bigbob1 like this.
  5. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have found this webpage to be very helpful regarding border crossing concerns at Alaska/Canadian ports of entry... https://rvalaskacampgrounds.com/border-crossing/ The only real pain that I see at this time is the need for proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test at most 72hrs prior to crossing the borders into Canada. Just have to plan and spend the time to get it done before crossing the border going to and returning home from Alaska through Canada as a fully vaccinated US citizen.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to supply that info thru their app.
    Hit up your app store for ArriveCAN
    black 8 likes this.
  7. GS4All

GS4All Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Submission of digital copies of test and vaccine certs via ArriveCAN for sure. But we'll probably not see ArriveCAN updated with entry eligibility requirements for fully vaccinated US citizens until we are 72hrs from August 9. In the meantime we kind of have to rely on sorting through the official positions of what has been said by Canadian and US authorities as we prepare to present ourselves at the border. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and have helped make it a useful tool. Perhaps we'll have the pleasure of meeting on the Alcan soon!
  8. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Whitehorse...my ole stompin ground. I rode up on my bike. I was allowed entry because I'm a Canadian citizen. Had to have the test done prior to entry and another upon crossing the border. None of that's a big deal, just inconvenient. I can say with a high degree of certainty that your vaccination must be done at least 14 days prior to crossing the border, so keep that in mind! A couple of the little mom & pop type gas stations appears to be shut down between Fort St John and Fort Nelson, but Pink Mountain was open, so gas shouldn't be an issue for anyone. The Robert Campbell highway between Carmacks and Watson Lake was in great shape. The Stewart Cassiar highway (37) is fine from the Alaska highway to Iskut. Between Iskut and Bell 2 it's riddled with deep potholes that have sharp edges. The Alaska highway has a section about 10 miles long that they're chip-sealing between Liard Hot Springs and Watson Lake, so there's some loose gravel, but it's not deep or tough to deal with. I'm sure that by August 9th that will undoubtedly be completed. Gas between Iskut and Bell 2 is not available at this time. I think that's about all I can offer in terms of updates. Previous poster indicated that Canadians can't come into the US or something along those lines. That is not the case. Any individual with Permanent Resident Status (green card) and a current resident of the US, such as myself, is allowed re-entry. Bring bug dope. The mosquitos on the Alaska highway and the Stewart Cassiar highway or horrendous this year! I've been going up and down those highways since the early 70's and I've never seen them as bad as they are now. Happy trails!
    patrkbukly, rubline, EmmEff and 6 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:

Thanks for the road report Dave...
  10. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Dave, Can you expand on the COVID testing a bit? What facility did you use for the USA side testing and the Canadian. I am going to cross in August and I am leaving from NY so the testing was making me a bit nervous about where to get them. I have my vaccination card so I am good on that point. - Jim
  11. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went to a local clinic (Indigo Urgent Care) where they do the tests. I had to do a on-line video conference with a doctor in order to get the appointment which I doubt will be the case in other places. That little on-line interview was 100 bucks. A test for quick results was 350 bucks or so and the 2 to 4 day result test was 130 bucks and that's the one I chose. Lucky for me, I got results within 48 hours. I'm sure there's easier ways to do this, but that's what was convenient for me and so I went along with the BS process. The "Arrive Canada" app was simple enough to fill out. The customs fella asked me a couple of questions, then directed me to the testing area which you will NOT LIKELY have to do unless you're RANDOMLY selected, so I wouldn't be at all concerned about. The test on the Canadian side required that I download another App and provide some info AND I also had to fill out a paper form. A screwed up process really because I tested 2 days prior to crossing, but in the meantime I was out and about between the test time and the border crossing time...so it doesn't make much sense. Your vaccination card is definitely important. That is what the border fella was most interested in.
    Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  12. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or US permanent resident...
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  13. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll have to consider myself fortunate to of done several rides up and back to AK and Canada.
    I'm not a tech guy and don''t carry a computer or smartphone, Just an old flip phone, That and the price of testing puts me out of the equation.
    I'm pretty much done with LD riding anyway, but was hoping to at least do some short rides up to visit some old riding buddies, Oh well.
  14. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info, I'm going to try to get in, they don't call it adventure riding for nothing!
  15. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm riding from SoCal to Bellingham, WA for an Aug. 25 four-day ship ride (cannot say "cruise" because it pretty bare) to Skagway where I have a Covid-19 test scheduled at 9 a.m. the following morning. I'll pass the border and spend the night in Whitehorse and then hit spots I loved and places I want to see in YT and AK. I'm thinking about two weeks riding, including Kenai Peninsula and end up in Anchorage where the BMW (and other brands) dealer will keep my ride tucked in a heated, 24/7 guarded warehouse for $75 per month until I return in the spring to make my way back to Palm Desert.

Good thing I have more than one ride!
    black 8, CavReconSGT and GS4All like this.
  16. TrakPlv

TrakPlv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I am planning on crossing the border around Aug. 20th in Minnesota on the way to AK. If I do the test within 72h prior entry, would that be accepted by the CBC? Also when leaving Canada and at the AK side, would they require another test to enter US? This whole testing got to be cancelled for fully vaccinated people. I don't get the point, unless someone want to keep selling bunch of test...
  17. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! Next up: Alaska Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just back from 11 days riding all over Alaska.
    Four of us from Seattle flew into Anchorage, rented R1250GS's from MotoQuest.
    Rode over Hatcher Pass,
    out the Denali Highway (stayed at Clearwater Mtn Lodge, great people),
    up the Elliott to the Dalton (two hit Arctic Circle),
    out to McCarthy & Kennicott Glacier Lodge, down to Valdez,
    across the Glen (stayed at Sheep Mtn Lodge, awesome),
    stayed on the Homer Spit one night before the tidal wave evacuation,
    Seward, Whittier tunnel, Alyeska.
    Far fewer RV's and cars than expected, and almost all had Alaska plates,
    so pretty awesome time to have done this tour.
    Very happy with MotoQuest bikes and how well they treated us.
    YT Dave, knight, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  18. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the folks thinking about heading to Inuvik/Tuk, the Yukon/Northwest Territories border is closed to non-essential travel. I know the border isn’t opening till the 9th so I emailed the Northwest Territories to get some clarification.
    This is the response I got: “Thank you for contacting ProtectNWT. Leisure travel that is not attached to an approved remote tourism operator is not permitted at this time.”
    I also called the Eagle Plains hotel and the lady told me the same thing.
    Will or when it will change is anyone’s guess.
    black 8, Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  19. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a follow up email from ProtectNWT: Please note there is currently not a public facing date in place when leisure travel will be once again permitted in the NWT.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks... (if in fact the (edited) NW Territory were to remain closed after 9 August) please keep us apprised of any updates...

Then there is the looming union strike that may take place Friday: 'Shut it down': Border guards' rhetoric soars... (article dtd 3 Aug 21)

BTW, is there a link you can provide about such updates specific to the Yukon/NW Territory?